Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knas

Some questions about PrBoom+

So there are a few things I wonder about making maps for PrBoom+.

Does it remove the visplane limitations?
Can I add more animated textures and flats?
Is there a limit on how many textures and flats I can have?
To play the levels in custom order I need to make a dehacked patch?

Knas said:

So there are a few things I wonder about making maps for PrBoom+.

Does it remove the visplane limitations?
Can I add more animated textures and flats?
Is there a limit on how many textures and flats I can have?
To play the levels in custom order I need to make a dehacked patch?

-Yes, along with seg limits and pretty much all other vanilla limits
-Yep, if you define them in an ANIMATED lump in SLADE.
-Maybe? If so, it's a very high limit and I doubt you'll reach it
-You can't play maps in a custom order in PRBoom+, dehacked is for changing things, text strings, etc.

AD_79 said:

-You can't play maps in a custom order in PRBoom+, dehacked is for changing things, text strings, etc.

wait, I thought you could change the level order along with map names with dehacked.... So even if PrBoom removes limits you can not in anyway change level order?? That ruins a lot of my plans. :(

DEHACKED can change level names, but not level order in any way. Port-specific scripting languages like ZDoom's MAPINFO can change level order, but PrBoom-plus doesn't support MAPINFO or any other one of them. So indeed, it cannot be done if your target compatibility is limit-removing or Boom or MBF, that means playable in PrBoom-plus.

scifista42 said:

DEHACKED can change level names, but not level order in any way. Port-specific scripting languages like ZDoom's MAPINFO can change level order, but PrBoom-plus doesn't support MAPINFO or any other one of them. So indeed, it cannot be done if your target compatibility is limit-removing or Boom or MBF, that means playable in PrBoom-plus.

I'm curious, is that something that could be added to the program? It supports custom switches/animations/texts as well as limit removing. Why not custom level order?

PrBoom-plus's goal is to maintain perfect compatibility with classic Doom engines from vanilla Doom over Boom to MBF, while also being a limit-removing port that allows easy (and cross-port-compatible) demo recording and playback. The developer (his nickname is entryway) must have a reason why MAPINFO support has not been implemented yet (or already a long time ago), although I can't speak for him to say what it is.

Then this brings up a new question. Can I use both ANIMDEFS and ANIMATED/SWITCHES in the same wad to make it compatible with more ports?

I thought that all ports that support ANIMDEFS also support ANIMATED/SWITCHES, so if you already have ANIMATED/SWITCHES, you don't need ANIMDEFS anymore. (just not vice versa)

Knas said:

Then this brings up a new question. Can I use both ANIMDEFS and ANIMATED/SWITCHES in the same wad to make it compatible with more ports?

You can, but you can only keep ANIMATED and SWITCHES, unless you used ANIMDEFS to define more complicated animations (like switches that go through an animation when activated instead of instantly changing to the other texture, or which have different sounds defined). Then ports not compatible with ANIMDEFS would get simplified switches that still work, and ports that can handle ANIMDEFS would have the full experience.