Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

Your favorite levels from the usual megawads? (MM, AV, etc)

What are your favorite levels from the more talked about megawads? Memento Mori, MM2, Alien Vendetta, Icarus, Scythe, etc? Or any of them if you want.

Just in general, but for me personally it can be fun to skip around a bit like a site-seer in some of these megawads. Though ideally I'll finish them all at some point.

Alien Vendetta MAP06 Hillside Siege is my favourite map ever. It's beautiful, it's fast, it's balanced and it has RoTT music. Just perfect.

AnonimVio said:

Alien Vendetta MAP06 Hillside Siege is my favourite map ever. It's beautiful, it's fast, it's balanced and it has RoTT music. Just perfect.

I'll make sure to play that one! I've only played the first two levels so far, and first four of MM, I like.

Also any favs maps from the Community Chest series as well would be cool, thanks folks. Any gems I might miss.

PsychoGoatee said:

Also any favs maps from the Community Chest series as well would be cool

Community Chest 3 MAP14 Mountains and Mortar was quite cool. It has nice, kinda "realistic" design and awesome music.

City in the Clouds, Dead Progressive, and Postmortem from Hell Revealed.
Hillside Siege, Suicidal Tendencies, Overwhelming Odds, Lake Poison, Dark Dome, and Stench of Evil from Alien Vendetta.
Map 29 (I think it's called "Hell on Earth"?) from Scythe
Graverobbers, Whispering Winds, and Death from Scythe II
Stargate, Desert Temple, and Unholy Cathedral from Deus Vult II
Execution, Cow Face, and Kill Bill from Kama Sutra
Hollow Icon, Pale Monument, and The Zealous Machine from Sunder

MM2: MAP26 - Base Exposure, MAP27 - The Silos, MAP28 - Corporate Hell
Requiem: MAP08 - The Reactor, MAP13 - Town of the Dead, MAP19 - Skinny Puppy
AV: MAP08 - Beast Island, MAP11 - Nemesis, MAP20 - Mišri Halek, MAP24 - Clandestine Complex
Scythe: MAP29 - Hell on Earth
Schyte II: MAP24 - Gaia's Temple, MAP25 - Forgotten City

Hell Revealed: Resistance Is Futile (22), Dead Progressive (25)
Hell Revealed 2: Resistance Remains (27)
Alien Vendetta: Lake Poison (18)
Scythe: Burial Grounds (16)
Scythe 2: Nightmare (28)
Speed Of Doom: Sledge (14)
Community Chest 3: For We Are Many (29)
Community Chest 4: Spiritual Holocaust (29)
Resurgence: Breaking Point (28)
Valiant: Toxic Traverse (16)
Sunlust: Dangeresque (12)
=============================
Slaughterfest 2011: Satsui No Hado (11)
Slaughterfest 2012: Twobox (16)

Something like that I suppose. Requiem, MMs and so on are things I don't care for at all, and in cchest1-2, only Use3d's maps and a bunch more are something I have fond memories of.

Thanks! You keep 'em coming, I'll keep writing them down in a txt file. Quite a lot of AV so far. It would be funny if eventually a whole megawad was recommended map by map. I have 11 AV maps written down not to miss :D

Any opinions on standout Icarus maps? I know that's generally ranked below some of the others.

PsychoGoatee said:

Thanks! You keep 'em coming, I'll keep writing them down in a txt file. Quite a lot of AV so far. It would be funny if eventually a whole megawad was recommended map by map. I have 11 AV maps written down not to miss :D

Any opinions on standout Icarus maps? I know that's generally ranked below some of the others.

I can guarantee that no one will seriously mention AV's awful take on a map07, or its awful IoS, or "One Flew Over the Caco's Nest". Nukefall and Rubicon are also unlikely, although more likely than those three.

I'd recommend Alien Vendetta MAP07, MAP30-owait

Honestly it'd be:
Alien Vendetta: MAP25
Plutonia 2: MAP28 and MAP29
Scythe 2: MAP27
PRCP: MAP15
Vanguard: MAP10

Between the megawads suggested in the OP, there is a huge amount of variation between and within them. In particular Icarus, which is the among the oldest is probably the weakest in my opinion. As such, all recommendations in a wad are relative to the accompanying maps and I'd recommend playing the Icarus ones first - in absolute terms they'd be weaker. That said here are my recommendations:

Icarus: Map01, Map16, Map19. (You may also get some mileage from Map11 aswell as Map27 (and 28 if weaps are carried over from 27).)
Requiem: Map03-04, Map06, Map09. Also: Map08, Map10-11, 13 and 15.
Scythe: Map09, Map16, Map19
AV: Map05-06, Map08, Map10-11
Doom 2 Reloaded: Map22, Map25, Map27-28. (you might also try Map29, though it is a difficult and extensive level that warrants it's own session)

Thanks for the great recommendations Sui Generis and Cacatou, cool that there's so many in-depth opinions on all these classic WADs.

SFoZ911 said:

Kama Sutra MAP30.

I watched this on youtube just now, and this was quite the map. It was like health class. :P

- Alien Vendetta MAP05-MAP11 all of them.
- Kama Sutra MAP29. Like, seriously, that map is just perfection executed.
- Requiem MAP22-MAP26 arc.
- Scythe MAP18-MAP20 arc.
- Scythe 2: can't actually choose, but if had to, MAP19.
- Memento Mori: perhaps MAP15 is something playworthy, though I generally dislike this wad by its amateur design choices (forgivable because 1996).
- Memento Mori 2: some shinier gems here. Definitely a loving goes for both E1-esque maps, MAP24 and MAP31, respectively. Also, nice bits of realism in MAP18 and MAP27.
- 2002ADO: the former E3M5, now E4M9 was always a nice touch (though the back-and-forth playstyle is not a preferable option), also, general like to almost all E2 episodes and the E4M1 map in both versions.
- Whispers of Satan: even though it was hard to decide which map stands out for me the most, I'd have a vote for MAP27. (If only that one-time only secret switch didn't exist.)

Cell said:

- Kama Sutra MAP29. Like, seriously, that map is just perfection executed.

https://youtu.be/ispo4LzUoQU?t=380

I see a big room filled to the brim with a billion Hell Knights bumping into eachother. This doesn't make sense to me. Just saying. Wasn't planning on playing Kama Sutra, but thanks for posting your favs anyway, it's always interesting to see everybody's different taste. I think MM1 is pretty great so far too, so I guess our preferences differ a bit. I was actually surprised how good MM1 is, since I was planning to skip it based on what I had heard.