Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Can somebody pls add 320x200 simulation to prboom-plus?

I would love to play prboom-plus like that but the program doesn't let me set this resolution due to the monitor being too big or something. And I think entryway doesn't want to do it. :( Apparently Chocolate Doom has the code for it, maybe it's not very hard to add it to prboom-plus?

This worked for me, although the screen ended up small:

prboom-plus -width 320 -height 200

EDIT: Disclaimer - it might be just a window size setting that doesn't affect PrBoom's software renderer. (?)

Launch PrBoom-plus with the parameters above, then go to Options -> General -> 5th page and set "screen multiple factor" to a value to fit your monitor. That way you will play 320x200 pixeled screen upscaled to near fullscreen.

EDIT: It's not actually that simple, but see my post below for a working guide.

I have figured out that it's more hacky than it should be. But here is a full guide how I achieved success: (I was also trying it simpler, but it failed to work)

1. Launch PrBoom-plus.
2. Go to Options -> General.
3. On the first page, set resolution to 640x480 and set windowed mode (unset fullscreen).
4. Go to fifth page and make sure that "screen resolution factor" is 1.
5. Quit PrBoom-plus.
6. Launch PrBoom-plus with parameters "-width 320 -height 200".
7. Once again, go to Options -> General.
8. Go to fifth page and set "screen resolution factor" to 2. The screen will ridiculously extend behind your monitor's borders, but that's OK for now.
9. Quit PrBoom-plus.
10. Launch PrBoom-plus with parameters "-width 320 -height 200 -fullscreen". Voila, you are playing in 320x200 mode in fullscreen!

It shouldn't be this hacky, but thank you very much scifista. From time to time when I'm feeling particularly nostalgic, I like to play at the original resolution. It's unfortunate that most monitors/displays aren't able to natively stretch-fit images of low resolution to the screen's border. (And honestly, much of this stuff claims to be cutting edge tech? Pshaw!)

You must either watch them with abovementioned parameters (-width 320 -height 200 -fullscreen), or you must return "screen resolution factor" back to 1 before launching the demos (which will bring 640x480 resolution back).

Is it somehow possible to add these parameters directly to the exe or something? Because these options sound too annoying. I'm not gonna edit a *.bat file every time I need to watch a demo...

Just have a bat file with the launch parameters and %1 at the end. Then you can drag and drop demos on that bat file.

Ok, I figured it out.
The bat file is:

C:\Andrey\dm\prboom-plus-2.5.0.8-win32\prboom-plus-2.5.0.8\prboom-plus -width 320 -height 200 -fullscreen -playdemo %1
And I set it to "open with" for *.lmp files and it works. Thanks!