Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThePolishBeast

What is the best multiplayer doom client out today?

Hey there. I have a question to ask which I can't really find in the forums. Which multiplayer doom client is the best to use for map building as well as fantastic smooth online play? I started playing on zdaemon which is my favorite, also used ide to play on the 3 master severs too but I just read on the net that zdaemon is not as smooth as gzdoom, skull tag, etc. But skull tag won't work with map building to well aperantly as well as a few other clients. So I'm kinda in a rut at the moment and I really don't want to settle for one client when there's most likely I better one I can't seem to find.

Just so you know, Zandronum superseded Skulltag about 5 years ago. I also recommend Odamex if you're looking for lag-free games, since that port has some magical coding where even if your ping is 250 it feels more like 100. It's the only way I can play with Doomkid literally on the opposite side of the planet.

SavageCorona said:

Just so you know, Zandronum superseded Skulltag about 5 years ago. I also recommend Odamex if you're looking for lag-free games, since that port has some magical coding where even if your ping is 250 it feels more like 100. It's the only way I can play with Doomkid literally on the opposite side of the planet.

I was about to suggest Zandronum before the Doomworld database got an error. Try out both of SavageCorona's suggestions and see which one works best for you.

If you're looking to find random games with random people, Zandronum and Zdaemon are your best bet by looking for servers in the browser. If you're looking to set up games specifically with your friends, then Odamex, Chocolate Doom, etc. are good if you're looking for that classic feel.

yeah i just seen choc doom and vavoom and there completely dead just zdaemon zandrunum and odamex start.

now what master sever is zdaemon connected to or is it its on master server?

ThePolishBeast said:

yeah i just seen choc doom and vavoom and there completely dead just zdaemon zandrunum and odamex start.

now what master sever is zdaemon connected to or is it its on master server?

It would be Raider's master server for ZDaemon so yeah it would be its own.

ThePolishBeast said:

why would some people want to map build for doom64 and not just normal doom 2 maps?

They might simply like the look and feel of Doom 64 and want to expand the amount of maps currently available for that modification.

ThePolishBeast said:

why would some people want to map build for doom64 and not just normal doom 2 maps?

That was quite the tangent. I guess because the overall more spooky aesthetic and atmosphere is more appealing to them.

Zandronum will soon (Probably january 2016) Support ZDoom 2.7.1 Mods, this will allow it to run every mod that any other Sourceport could run (Except doomsday based Sourceports) , So i suppose it's the most sufficient Sourceport .
But to make sure you don't miss any fun event , get them all and use "Doom Explorer" (Previously known as Internet doom Explorer) .

Where can I find information on wads, clients, etc. Like it seems like everyone knows when a new wads coming out or an update. I've looked though the forums and could only find bits and pieces. How do you guys go about getting g information on the latest doom products?

Wow so sorry to doomworld for asking for the best client because I just clicked on the first thread labled "READ THIS! Doom on Windows / Steam" which I skipped because I didn't really care about it at the time but when I looked at it today, it had everytying you guys said nicely laid out so a 6 year old could understand. Lmfao. Sorry Doomworld

ThePolishBeast said:

How do you guys go about getting g information on the latest doom products?

I stay informed by browsing Wads&Mods subforum everyday - even if I didn't read all threads, releases are usually announced in thread titles. Really, it's all there. :)

scifista42 said:

I stay informed by browsing Wads&Mods subforum everyday - even if I didn't read all threads, releases are usually announced in thread titles. Really, it's all there. :)

This and idgames

If ya have Zandronum, check Samsara, Demonsteele and Ghouls vs Humans, they are great mods, try em out if ya interested.
And take Doomkid's advice, get all 3 source ports and experment playing in them.

Crispy Doom, (Patched) Boom using Dosbox, and (Patched) Marine's Best Friend using Dosbox, with a preference of whichever of these is the lowest common denominator for whatever wad you use...*shot*

...why is recording multiplayer demos with emphasis on compatibility so rare here?

J.B.R said:

If ya have Zandronum, check Samsara, Demonsteele and Ghouls vs Humans, they are great mods, try em out if ya interested.
And take Doomkid's advice, get all 3 source ports and experment playing in them.

Yeah I'll definitely check them out

Danfun64 said:

Crispy Doom, (Patched) Boom using Dosbox, and (Patched) Marine's Best Friend using Dosbox, with a preference of whichever of these is the lowest common denominator for whatever wad you use...*shot*

...why is recording multiplayer demos with emphasis on compatibility so rare here?

I don't think he's looking for a way to play that still makes him put in his phone number to connect to his friend's computer next door.

SavageCorona said:

I don't think he's looking for a way to play that still makes him put in his phone number to connect to his friend's computer next door.

LOL what?

Crispy Doom supports regular tcp/ip connections, and dosbox has the ipxnet tunneling service. Neither way requires dialing to other people...

Danfun64 said:

I would love a Doom client with a decent C/S networking system that could also record vanilla LMPs, but it seems to be pretty low in demand. Even with Odamex which can play vanilla demos, recording DM demos seems out of the question as it would require a lot of shit to be reworked (iirc)

I asked about a C/S fork of Choco Doom a while back and no one seemed to think it was a good idea or doable.

EDIT: Don't forget to join the IRC channels if you're looking for Deathmatch, there's #deathmatch on Zandronum IRC and #dmstuff on Quakenet IRC (and of course, Zdaemon automatically links you in to #zdplayers). You'll find opponents with ease.

Research IRC channels! That way you can find some great games. A lot of people use all multiplayer ports at their disposal.