Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

ios Doom ports are MUCH better than android ones

Voros said:

The graphics can stay, since its not actually ripped from the games (literally I mean), but made by the artists of the team to make it as Sonic like possible.

Still violates Sega's Trademarks and Copyrights.

That still won't protect you from the lawyers if the publisher is serious about protecting their copyright.

The app stores are not /idgames which more or less is a private archive of the community and not on the radar of these people. On the contrary, they probably watch them constantly for infringing content they order to take down (and if appropriate sue the hell out of the infringer.)

What about this?

Doesn't the Windows Phone game "Halo Runner" have a similar "Game Content Usage Policy" from Microsoft?
No Halo Runner is not a Microsoft product (but of Dobberman Software, which I think died). Yet it uses Microsoft's assets in a way.

That's not fair use. Here's a suggestion: If you do not know the finer details of how copyright works, don't even THINK of publicly releasing something based on some copyrighted property. You may get into trouble far quicker than you may imagine.

Graf Zahl said:

The app stores are not /idgames which more or less is a private archive of the community and not on the radar of these people. On the contrary, they probably watch them constantly for infringing content they order to take down (and if appropriate sue the hell out of the infringer.)

Somehow, the economics of this approach don't seem to work out, at least in the majority of cases. Having a team of watchdogs/whistleblowers on a paycheck just to catch such shovelware, with the expectations of financial gain once some poor asshole/devil is sued is ridiculous, especially once expenses and possible negative media/PR backlash are considered.

It's very easy to come out as the "bad guy", which is why in the majority of cases there's an apparent tolerance for some blatantly ripoff work. Yeah, some Random Ass Joe used some assets from your AAA or BBB mega-and--what-not game. Can you prove that substantial revenue damage resulted solely because of his actions? Can you be sure that even if you "win", you will do so in a reasonable amount of time, and that you'll be better off legally, financially, from a PR standpoint etc? Like a great strategist once said, you must choose your battles carefully.

I wouldn't expect them to sue right out of the box, but just having a lawyer send a cease and desist order can become quite a problem - especially if you live in a jurisdiction where this is a profitable business for mafia-like lawyers. And you can trust me: These people ARE watching because they make a living off it.

The developers of that game (SRB2) themselves are pretty lazy and barely able to fix their game's netcode, so i'm not surprised they never responded to the fans request of porting it to IOS or Android .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The developers of that game (SRB2) themselves are pretty lazy and barely able to fix their game's netcode, so i'm not surprised they never responded to the fans request of porting it to IOS or Android .

I think you better shut up before accusing others of being lazy. Things aren't just as eays as people like you think.

I never had trouble with netplay. So what problems did you guys get, that I didn't?

Also, my point is that SRB2 isn't a COMPLETE violation of copyright. Everything in the game is of lower quality (sprites! MIDIs! Etc). And runs on the modified Doom source code (Legacy's to be precise), which wqs released to the public under the GPL license. And game data consists of art and music from the devs themselves, not a "take a screenie, cut this, voila!" gfx.

Freedoom has art very similar to Doom. Is it getting gunned down? No.

Plus, Sega's Sonic series has changed so much with the new everything, SRB2 looks outdated compared to the main series. SRB2 can act as a canon to the Sonic series.

Voros said:

I never had trouble with netplay. So what problems did you guys get, that I didn't?

Also, my point is that SRB2 isn't a COMPLETE violation of copyright. Everything in the game is of lower quality (sprites! MIDIs! Etc). And runs on the modified Doom source code (Legacy's to be precise), which wqs released to the public under the GPL license. And game data consists of art and music from the devs themselves, not a "take a screenie, cut this, voila!" gfx.

Freedoom has art very similar to Doom. Is it getting gunned down? No.

Plus, Sega's Sonic series has changed so much with the new everything, SRB2 looks outdated compared to the main series. SRB2 can act as a canon to the Sonic series.

Wow...so many things wrong with this post...

Running on a free engine does not mean the data is considered free. Freedoom is designed to look and sound similar to Doom but different enough that copyright can't really be claimed. It's not trying to replicate Doom stuff exactly.

SRB2 uses copyrighted characters and sounds, and even a couple of the non character graphics are ripped from the games. While most of the graphics in SRB2 are original, that doesn't excuse the use of copyrighted characters and sounds.

Also, "Everything in the game is of lower quality"? Seriously? As much as I hate Doom Legacy, I think SRB2 looks really good for a game its age.

Danfun64 said:

Wow...so many things wrong with this post...

Running on a free engine does not mean the data is considered free. Freedoom is designed to look and sound similar to Doom but different enough that copyright can't really be claimed. It's not trying to replicate Doom stuff exactly.

SRB2 uses copyrighted characters and sounds, and even a couple of the non character graphics are ripped from the games. While most of the graphics in SRB2 are original, that doesn't excuse the use of copyrighted characters and sounds.

Also, "Everything in the game is of lower quality"? Seriously? As much as I hate Doom Legacy, I think SRB2 looks really good for a game its age.

Compare the game to the latest Sonic game. You get the picture.

Ok, copyright issues exist on SRB2. How about an unofficial app on an unofficial website?

I've never been a fan of Sonic games so I don't care much about SRB2 as a game, but as an engine they did some nice things with it. Their polyobject platforms, for instance, have yet to be replicated by any other Doom engine port -- it's basically a polyobject and a 3D floor at the same time, and it if a player is standing on it, the player is moved along with the polyobject.

Voros said:

Compare the game to the latest Sonic game. You get the picture.

Modern Sonic games and SRB2 have completely different playstyles. Modern Sonic games are more oriented on speed, but are more linear. SRB2 is slower, but has alternate routes and secrets that Modern Sonic games lack.

SRB2 has been in development for at least a decade, and each release brings new improvements. Sure, it doesn't look as good as modern sonic games, but for the tech its running, it looks really good. It also has features not replicated in other Sonic games, like the multiplayer modes (Name one other Sonic game which has DM and CTF. I'll wait...)

The main problem with SRB2 is not the gameplay, or the graphics, but the codebase. I could run Zandronum with mods and multiplayer at a decent framerate and speed, but I can't say the same about Doom Legacy based engines.

As I said before, many of SRB2's graphics are completely original. Some of these completely original graphics are reused in Roly Poly Putt, which was made by the same guy who made SRB2. However, trying to get a fangame running on Google Play is unwise.

Voros said:

Considering the blatant absence of any sort of input prediction at all, an issue in the original Quake that everyone realised made games unplayable even at 100ms, you're either lying through your teeth or have no idea what you're talking about. Which is it?

Not to mention the countless synchronizations issues that has the most useless kludge-fix of all time (rather than, you know, actually fixing the damn problem), crashing the server just requires you to waggle your eyebrows at it, and for whatever reason the handshake can't recover from packetloss. Which has also been seen to crash servers.

I have about 200GB of Fraps footage from playing SRB2 multiplayer. Most of it ends in the server crashing or kicking everyone due to synchronization, the rest is just the game being remarkably impossible to control at 300ms of input latency.

Edward850 said:

Considering the blatant absence of any sort of input prediction at all, an issue in the original Quake that everyone realised made games unplayable even at 100ms, you're either lying through your teeth or have no idea what you're talking about. Which is it?

I'm sorry. I can't help but think of the vast majority of the people of quakeone.com who for whatever reason they have prefer "real lag" to prediction.

Honestly, I'm not sure who is right in that debate, but I'm not sure SRB2 should be looked at the same way as Netquake. While Quakeworld has obvious advantages over SRB2's netcode, even Netquake seems to run more smoothly than SRB2. However, it can't be said that "everyone" supports one side over the other.

That's a very odd group of people you've found there. I think it's safe to say if you press a key on your keyboard, you'll want to do something locally in a game where you're precision platforming in the 3rd dimension with timed jumps. Any expectation of less strikes me as some sort of weird variation of Stockholm syndrome.

I'd argue that Quake doesn't need it (Doom itself certainly can be played with input latency, if only barely), but then Quake is also a very fast paced shooter with rocket and strafe jumping galore so that strikes me as a little bit odd.

Edward850 said:

That's a very odd group of people you've found there. I think it's safe to say if you press a key on your keyboard, you'll want to do something locally in a game where you're precision platforming in the 3rd dimension with timed jumps. Any expectation of less strikes me as some sort of weird variation of Stockholm syndrome.

I'd argue that Quake doesn't need it (Doom itself certainly can be played with input latency, if only barely), but then Quake is also a very fast paced shooter with rocket and strafe jumping galore so that strikes me as a little bit odd.

I think "odd" is too strong of a word. How about "different"?

Here is what Netquake people have to say about what they prefer it to Quakeworld.

[quote="Baker" said]

When a NetQuake player plays on a Quakeworld server, they feel that something is wrong and doesn't play the same but they aren't sure what it is.

In my experience, the thing that is the most awkward to me is weapon animation not being in-sync with the projectile, but there are 5 or 6 other things that don't feel right --- that being said if I really like a map that is playing (ultrav, heh), I barely notice[/quote][quote="funkity" said]

The game physics in NetQuake and Quakeworld are supposed to be identical, but server operators and modders can change those physics at will. Even different maps have different physics (e.g. e1m8 or the moon map in rocket arena).

Lots of people who play NQ, such as myself, play it with the belief that QW is the beginning of where things went wrong. It introduced push latency, mainly for the purpose of helping HPBs which it indeed did. But push latency as a connection type just caught on with game developers and is what virtually every online FPS has used since. Why? I don't understand anymore, now that everyone knows you need a broadband connection to even compete. Broadband is like a requirement now. So why don't some of the online 3d engines quit using push latency? Or are there any I don't know about?

Often people have publicly renounced NQ, claim that they're giving it up, and "retiring". It's an old joke now, because they always come back sooner or later. And usually sooner. The last "I'm retiring" thread I saw was back playing after a weekend away. It's bloody addictive, mate. Handle with caution. You could find yourself hooked.

NQ is the real, raw stuff. It's the goods. It's gaming in its purest form. Don't take the trash talk personally.[/quote]Personally, on a broadband connection, there doesn't seem to be that much difference between Quakeworld and Netquake, except that for whatever reason Netquake servers are geared toward a casual, newbie friendly experience (Runes and grapple. No real usage of trick jumps) while QuakeWorld servers are more competitive and have better clients (EZQuake is awesome. It's a shame that its features aren't duplicated in any NetQuake ports.)

Both sides have advantages and disadvantages, and both have better netcode than SRB2 :P

edit: Can an admin fix my post so that the quote blocks look right while still referencing those urls?

Edward850 said:

Not to mention the countless synchronizations issues that has the most useless kludge-fix of all time (rather than, you know, actually fixing the damn problem), crashing the server just requires you to waggle your eyebrows at it, and for whatever reason the handshake can't recover from packetloss. Which has also been seen to crash servers.

I have about 200GB of Fraps footage from playing SRB2 multiplayer. Most of it ends in the server crashing or kicking everyone due to synchronization, the rest is just the game being remarkably impossible to control at 300ms of input latency.

I seriously had no trouble.

Originally, I had a very very VERY low speed on a modem, and my first MP session, me as a red Tails and on that Sky something map, on CTF. LAG.

Spoiler

This was an actual match rather than the bottom spoiler one. There were red and blue players going back and forth chasing the flag capturer. Someone even tried talking to me, but so much lag, I couldn't.

Years later, I downloaded SRB2, the updated version, since I had the old one then, and used wifi, which had a high speed. I went MP and joined a random server with 3 players. No lag
Spoiler

Apparently, they were a group of friends hanging out, and after I joined, they started ranting about how they had slowed down because of me. Then I got kicked :P
But my side didn't slow down at all.