Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Stuff that should be committed before new release

Sodaholic said:

Can you please provide links to those items?

I'm getting increasingly convinced that the submission policy should be to add each submission to the repository once it is provided by the contributor, either directly replacing the previous asset (which gets attic'd) or by placing it into an intermediate place for incoming stuff. It's not like a submission that is eventually deemed not suitable can't be moved to the attic at a later stage.

That should help avoid "vanishing" submissions which got ignored because apparently no one was around to pass judgement on their suitability at the time those submissions were contributed.

On another note, do you intend to add the latest version of Maz's Baron recolour?

MrFlibble said:

I'm getting increasingly convinced that the submission policy should be to add each submission to the repository once it is provided by the contributor, either directly replacing the previous asset (which gets attic'd) or by placing it into an intermediate place for incoming stuff. It's not like a submission that is eventually deemed not suitable can't be moved to the attic at a later stage.

That should help avoid "vanishing" submissions which got ignored because apparently no one was around to pass judgement on their suitability at the time those submissions were contributed.

They just get lost in the shuffle. It's hard to tell what exactly is ready for submission and what is just posted for feedback.

The best way to get someone to keep track of your submission, judge it, and commit it to the main repository is, again, submit a pull request. I submitted some changes last night and they got committed this morning.

However, it would be nice if there were some sort of guide explaining how to do this, i.e. using the github tool, what format the graphics have to be in, what's the file structure, etc.

The link or URL you must send to the recipient(s) of your file(s) is:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gfa9f685748fb928c9997554080b581cca5bb47263

The file(s) that can be retrieved with the above link is (are):

johnson_map13_028.zip (231.024 KB)
johnson_map19_10.zip (245.496 KB)
johnson_pain_055.zip (124.772 KB)
johnson_skel_02.zip (131.996 KB)

The file(s) will be available on the server for the next 10 days.

There used to be a directory that submissions could be uploaded by FTP, but
it was not maintained.
Not everyone can have direct access to the GIT.
I don't have high speed internet for one thing.
How to commit and who can commit has been discussed before too.
You don't want to find out some week that someone you never heard of has put an
advertisement on one of the textures, or made some "funny" changes to one of the sprites.
And, why should I need to duplicate the GIT just to make some Freedoom submissions.

Because of the temporary nature of Wesley's uploads, I've mirrored it here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_FmtBb8hs4Qcks3Z3ZuSk8wQTg&usp=sharing

Wesley, given this isn't always a fast moving project, might I suggest you look for a file sharing site that doesn't destroy files after 10 days? I use sta.sh for images, and drive.google.com for other files. Dropbox is quite good too.

wesleyjohnson said:

The link or URL you must send to the recipient(s) of your file(s) is:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gfa9f685748fb928c9997554080b581cca5bb47263

The file(s) that can be retrieved with the above link is (are):

johnson_map13_028.zip (231.024 KB)
johnson_map19_10.zip (245.496 KB)

These maps versions were committed to the github when you first made the submission? take a look.

1. I mentioned those other assets because I no longer have a good idea of what
was committed and what was not. The copy of FreeDoom that I use daily has some of the
sprites but not the maps.
2. I choose 10 days (the default is 7 days). I could choose longer, like 20 days, but that just provides 10 more days for people to put-it-off, and forget about it. Then I have to watch for some clue that it got committed over those whole 20 days.
The 10 days has worked much better.
3. I make it rather clear as to whether something is a look-over and comment, and whether it is a submission.

4. There needs to be a small group of people who administer the submission policy.
- there needs to protection against malicious acts, funny stuff, advertising, or just bad material.
- they must ensure that the submission is appropriate
- there needs to be some review of the material before it gets to the GIT repository
- they can allow submission updates with much less review because they have
some experience with that author and what they submit
- I don't know how users duplicating the GIT repository and using pull-requests is going to provide any kind of review or protection

raymoohawk, are you ok with the serpentipede sprites as they are now being committed? I wanna get rid of the old bad one as soon as possible.

wesleyjohnson said:

4. There needs to be a small group of people who administer the submission policy.
- there needs to protection against malicious acts, funny stuff, advertising, or just bad material.
- they must ensure that the submission is appropriate
- there needs to be some review of the material before it gets to the GIT repository
- they can allow submission updates with much less review because they have
some experience with that author and what they submit
- I don't know how users duplicating the GIT repository and using pull-requests is going to provide any kind of review or protection

There already are a small group of people administering the submission policy, and they already do prevent bad stuff from being committed.
It's fairly simple in github to review what is being committed. If it's by someone who's new to the project, you just give them more scrutiny. It's that simple.

The big thing is that problems with submissions do not immediately become clear until they're built and tested.
Take, for example, Sodaholic's new rocket launcher sprites. It would not have mattered if he asked a maintainer to commit it or he submitted a pull request himself, the outcome is the same: the issues with the transparency would not have been caught until it was tested in the latest git build. However, because he submitted a pull request, the submission made it into the git repository much faster, it got into the autobuilds faster, and it was caught the next day by someone playing the autobuild.

That's all the pull requests are for: expediency for committing assets ready for submission. And it's not like once they're in the git repo that they're there permanently, it's a one-click operation to revert a commit. I really don't see any quality control issues with this.

Some more stuff I edited for Freedoom. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hv03os8xp7obb0/MoreFDStuff.wad?dl=0

Slightly better fist sprites (Arm color adjustment and anti-aliasing on the gloves)

More consistent muzzle flashes (Chaingun's is from the older Freedoom sprite, Shotgun's was edited from SSG's)

Slime fall (to match the other liquids, the current one is kinda iffy on quality)

Dropped pistol sprite (for ports that allow it like Zdoom, made from scratch mostly)

Also has a small fix to the Angle Grinder firing frames and an updated version of my GLDEFs to include Raymoohawks new Armor Bonuses. Also, I would like to suggest that we use the older DSPDIEHI for the normal Player Death sound (the one before the wilhelm scream replaced it).

robotdog1, those are some nice muzzle flashes!

robotdog1 said:

Dropped pistol sprite (for ports that allow it like Zdoom, made from scratch mostly)

I'm guessing that the question will inevitably arise as to whence the parts which were not made from scratch came from.

MrFlibble said:

I'm guessing that the question will inevitably arise as to whence the parts which were not made from scratch came from.

I should've probably specified. The not-scratch parts were some edited parts of the SSG pickup's barrel.

Is there a reason why the sound for the rocket traveling is now a high pitched "white noise" sound?

It sounds like that in GZdoom 2.0.05, and it's kinda annoying to listen to every single time I fire a rocket. I feel almost as if I'm being punished for using the rocket launcher.

edit: Cool beans. :) I'll just wait for the update to show up on freedoom.soulsphere.org. (I like the new sounds.)

edit2: Also, thanks to the people who have been making a bunch of updates lately. It's nice to see progress on this. :) I like the new textures.

edit3: At this rate, Freedoom 0.10 is gonna be awesome. (0.9 was OK, but there have been massive improvements between then and now.)

frithiof said:

Is there a reason why the sound for the rocket traveling is now a high pitched "white noise" sound?

I would have to agree. The new rocket sound is tinny and annoying.
The old one was not only much more pleasant to listen to, but a much more satisfying weapon sound.

EDIT: It looks like this should already be fixed by this commit. The new sound wasn't encoded in the right format.

Yeah, sorry about those sounds, I assumed it would convert them to 8-bit during the compilation process.

@robotdog1: Do you have the second set of muzzle flashes for the shotgun and chaingun?

MrFlibble said:

On another note, do you intend to add the latest version of Maz's Baron recolour?

No offense to Maz, but I'm not particularly fond of it. It's not a bad recolor job, I just don't like the color chosen.

They're in the wad link he posted up, Soda.

But I gotta say robotdog, those muzzleflashes work much better.

Ok, so I think everything that can be committed has been committed. The player sounds had licensing issues, and I'm not sure if robotdog1's pistol pickup should be committed yet.

latest build as of right now

Please test this to make sure that all of your stuff is there.

Sodaholic said:

@robotdog1: Do you have the second set of muzzle flashes for the shotgun and chaingun?

All of the muzzle flash frames and other things should be included in the wad in the same post.

EDIT: I'm an idiot too, Didnt see that SuperSomariDX pointed out the same thing.

robotdog1 said:

All of the muzzle flash frames and other things should be included in the wad in the same post.

EDIT: I'm an idiot too, Didnt see that SuperSomariDX pointed out the same thing.

Committed these except for the pistol pickup

Woah... there have been a lot of really good improvements over the past week or so. (And especially since the release of 0.9, which kinda looks a little crummy compared to the current builds... but a lot of new monsters, textures, sounds, maps, and weapons have been added since then.)

No offense intended, but this is starting to look like a very professionally produced project. The release of 0.10 will almost certainly get a lot of positive attention.

Sodaholic said:

No offense to Maz, but I'm not particularly fond of it. It's not a bad recolor job, I just don't like the color chosen.

I still believe that it needs to be submitted, even if it ends up in the attic. It is a valid, complete contribution and it should not be abandoned just like that.

Also it is my understanding that I'm not the only one to like Maz's recolour.

Doctor Nick said:

Committed these except for the pistol pickup

I know its probably a little too late, but those two grinder firing frames are supposed to go with the other frames I already edited in Soda's wad. Just saying though.

Here's a wad with some flat's that I did some edits of. A few I felt were nessecary and others I just did to see if I could try to help them stand out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s7sfj9tg8ia9cv/flat.wad?dl=0

An alternate version of the current titlepic that uses Freedoom guy's in-game colors (His visor is more blue, helmet is entirely grey, and leggings aren't all green) http://i.imgur.com/4TMSgpb.png

Also I just wanted to bring Freedoom's explosion graphic to attention, I feel we could use a better one as the current one has some nasty nearest neighbor resizing on the third frame and is inconsistent since it's used for the slug fireball explosion. http://i.imgur.com/0O7aQ4i.png