Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whymes5

Scariest Doom Wad/Map?

Hi there. I'm considering starting a horror-themed wad (or episode, for an upcoming project). Anyways, I'm just wondering what sorts of maps people find the most disturbing, and why. Clearly this topic has been posted before, but I think over time that people's opinions change. My vote obviously goes for Ghoul's Forest, but many people seem to think it's overrated, or cheap jump scare horror. If I had to pick one, it would be the first one, mostly because it seems a little more unbaked which I think adds to the vibe. I don't know. What do you think?

Oh yeah, and I don't just mean aesthetics wise. I think certain gameplay can add to the intensity. I think one of the reasons Doom seemed so scary was due to the gameplay, that really was very hard and tense. Especially if you were new to the game.

Hellbound* has an overally ominous and kind of disturbing vibe. Unfortunately, it's easy to stop caring about this wad's atmosphere due to running out of patience with its gameplay.

*Not to be confused with the abovementioned Hell Ground.

Map 30 of Resurgence.

"I've seen things you Doomers wouldn't believe. Afrits on fire off the shoulder of massive pyramids. I watched Mr X's glitter in the dark near the exit gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like quicksaves in vain... Time to die."

I still have nightmarish flashbacks to how much frustration this one map caused....

Oh yeah, some of these are pretty great... I don't really know that many wads like this. The thing is that it's pretty hard to draw on good suspense an horror for more than a map or two without it getting dry too. You can't really have 10 maps full of bodies and jump scares without some "...ok?" going on.

Well, this isn't just to make a new project, but also just that I love playing through these sorts of maps, with either creepy aestheics, tense gameplay, or both ;p

Going Down has some truly scary maps - specially MAP20, MAP23 and MAP26 - partly also MAP08, MAP14, MAP16, MAP18, MAP21, MAP24, MAP25 and MAP28. Most maps in this megawad actually have an action-packed style with occasional funny elements (which may sound contradictory to scary-ness), but I have to say that the entire megawad is VERY worth checking out, IMO it's just awesome.

Whymes5 said:

I love playing through these sorts of maps, with either creepy aestheics, tense gameplay, or both ;p

Sounds like I've got just the map for you!

Sorry for the self-plug, but earlier this year I released a GZDoom map called "Atmosfear" designed purely with the intent of being a scary map. It makes a lot of use of dynamic lights and atmospheric sound to generate a disturbing and creepy vibe. I entirely recommend playing this in a completely dark room with headphones on so you can truly immerse yourself.

Download Atmosfear

Screenshots below:

To me Ghouls forest 2 is still the scariest wad I've played. Both because of the atmosphere and that fucking sjas.

Playstation version of Geryon because of Aubrey Hodges' ambient soundtrack. I remember being unable to move in-game due to the soundtrack alone. I would hide in a little room and would try to regain my cool but it would take me minutes.

The remake of Brookhaven Hospital from Silent Hill by TimeOfDeath.

Time of maps by the same mapper. The lack of music and the black sky gives a creepy vibe.

The Beesong by Death-destiny

That bump tho....scariest shit by far.

In serious topic...Atmosfear, Unloved (with the atmosphere alone) and the recent Soundless Mound (which is an obvious homage to Silent Hill 2) takes the cake for me...