Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AwesomeO-789

How Do You Go About Recruiting Playtesters?

Looking for advice from experienced mappers, preferably someone who has released multiple WADS.

How does one go about recruiting playtesters? Have there been times you didn't even need to recruit playtesters? Do you send your WAD through PM or do you make a new thread for randoms to test it out? After how long you do expect a response from your playtesters? Any answers would be much appreciated, thanks!

Post some images in this thread and say you are looking for playtesters: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/70830-post-your-doom-picture-part-2-read-the-image-posting-rules-in-the-faq/

Upload your screenshots to a file hosting service like imgur, deviantart, or something you find easy to use. Start your own project thread in the wads and mods section and post links to those image files. Mention you are looking for playtesters in the first sentence or two. You can send your file in a compressed format like .zip .rar or .7z as an email attachment if you don't want to use a file hosting service like Dropbox or any of the other free hosting services.

Give your playtesters a week to playtest one level. Remind them if they don't respond after a week. Do not keep sending them "updated" versions of your wad every 24 hours. No one has time to keep track of your super-special-project except for you. So make sure you have some substantial maps to send somebody and don't plan on updating your project all the time until you get some serious feedback.

TheCupboard said:

Post some images in this thread and say you are looking for playtesters: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/70830-post-your-doom-picture-part-2-read-the-image-posting-rules-in-the-faq/

Upload your screenshots to a file hosting service like imgur, deviantart, or something you find easy to use. Start your own project thread in the wads and mods section and post links to those image files. Mention you are looking for playtesters in the first sentence or two. You can send your file in a compressed format like .zip .rar or .7z as an email attachment if you don't want to use a file hosting service like Dropbox or any of the other free hosting services.

Give your playtesters a week to playtest one level. Remind them if they don't respond after a week. Do not keep sending them "updated" versions of your wad every 24 hours. No one has time to keep track of your super-special-project except for you. So make sure you have some substantial maps to send somebody and don't plan on updating your project all the time until you get some serious feedback.

Sound advice. Cheers, will definitely use this!

When I wanted playtesters, I just sent my map to some speedrunners and mappers that I liked and said something like "here is a map by me, if you're interested please playtest, thanks in advance". Most of them responded to me, and in just a few days too. I guess it might not work so well if people don't really know you though.

I've always been going the route of playtesting my maps myself, and once satisfied with them, posting a public beta to the relevant project's thread or making its own thread for the map(s), along with screenshots and a message "Feedback appreciated!", then hoping for feedback by random people who come across the thread and get interested to try out the map(s).