Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZephaniahNoah

Play Doom wads on iPhone?

So I've been wanting to make Doom wads and play them on my iPhone. So I tried the official Doom Classic app from the app store and put doom2.wad in the DOOM.app directory on my phone and it loaded that no problem. So I thought I cloud just put any wad in now and It'll work. Then I realized it only loads one wad at a time which means I'm limited to playing only iwads. So I created my own iwad with the custom map I made and Doom crashed. I eventually came to the conclusion that XWE (What I was using to make my iwad) changes the format and hence is not compatible with iPhone Doom. So I searched for an editor that would work and couldn't find one. After some time I came across Plutonia and TNT which for some reason work perfectly with iPhone Doom. So I read a whole bunch about these wads and their creator(s) on the wiki and found out that they used a super old wad editor called DETH for DOS. So I downloaded DOSBox and DETH, made a quick map to test, put it in a fresh copy of doom2, and put the iwad in DOOM.app and it loaded! But when I open that map the app just freezes. What do I do!? How do I play custom wads on my iPhone?

ZephaniahNoah said:

holy moly the big text is here

I'm an android user, I think the map format needs to be PrBoom or Boom

ZephaniahNoah said:

So does evan DETH change the format? I'll look for some boom editors.

DB2 has the BOOM format.

My iPhone already is jailbroken. I tried three other apps, two of which I found on Cydia. None of them work either. I haven't tried Gameception yet though.

I'm surprised that you managed to run a "changed" app cause I couldn't :P .
Well, if you bought Doom Classic, then you should see Gameception. See if it works out for you.

It is dead simple:

1. Setup a computer that runs Doom.
  2. Place phone on seat.
  3. Sit on phone so it is the seat.
  4. Play Doom on the computer you setup.
And then you have it: You can play Doom on your phone!

GhostlyDeath said:

It is dead simple:

1. Setup a computer that runs Doom.
  2. Place phone on seat.
  3. Sit on phone so it is the seat.
  4. Play Doom on the computer you setup.
And then you have it: You can play Doom on your phone!

Ho ho, ha ha, hee hee. Very funny...Nice joke though.
Still, back on topic, I once found a Dosbox emulator for ios, but it wouldn't install. I'll give the link when I can. So far emu4ios has iRec and Shou.TV for my specs, all
with no jailbreak! Last time I looked for id related packages on Cydia, found Quake 1 shareware and quake 3 arena demo, both with very limited controls.

Well I like RetroArch's PRBoom but the controls are just a little difficult to use. Also, if I want to use PWADS I need to access the command-line. How do I do that? So far it also only loads IWADS.

EDIT: I can't load my custom IWADS made in DETH either...

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to do that either unfortunately, but you CAN choose from different controller types to find one you're more comfortable with, using PrBoom's setup to map the different buttons.

So... I tried the official DOOM, Cydia's Doom & iDoom, RetroArch's PRBoom, and hacx. I guess there's nothing left to try besides Gameception...

OMG!!! My iPhon's digitizer is busted! :(
Well... I guess I'm getting an Android phone next.

BTW, you said that you edited the IWAD included and your iPhone had no problem in running?

I have HacX on the iPhone, and tried to replace MAP16 (you know the map, Protean Cybex) with the ACTUAL map.
Didn't work :(

How do I achieve this?
I used SLADE3 during the replacement, but when saving, it says IWAD saving disabled.

Voros said:

it says IWAD saving disabled.

This is so you do not trash your IWADs and completely break them, unlike XWE which pretty much does whatever the hell it wants to.

You can hexedit a COPY of your WAD and change the header to PWAD.

Modify it.

Then convert it back to an IWAD by hex editing it again.

This is not a suggestion to use XWE.

Or you can change the value of the iwad_lock console variable in SLADE 3.

Voros said:

BTW, you said that you edited the IWAD included and your iPhone had no problem in running?

I have HacX on the iPhone, and tried to replace MAP16 (you know the map, Protean Cybex) with the ACTUAL map.
Didn't work :(

How do I achieve this?
I used SLADE3 during the replacement, but when saving, it says IWAD saving disabled.

When I edited doom2.wad in SLADE and put it on my iPhone DOOM crashed. When I did the same thing but in DETH the game opened the IWAD. But when I got to the level I edited DOOM crashed.

Gez said:

Or you can change the value of the iwad_lock console variable in SLADE 3.

ok, that worked. now for the ultimate test...installing.