Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaLiquidator

XWE Index out of bounds

So I had XWE and it worked. Then something on my notebook went fucked up and on reclamation they formated my disk. Sons of bitches, I didnt even ask for that. They gave me a lot of work. Install everything back, and so. Fuck them to arses.

Anyway, I copied my Doom directory from my backup. And XWE is not working anymore. When I open some wad, it first says "Index out of bounds (some number)", and then blue circle rotates forever (I have Win8 by the way). Also when I run XWE it says "Failed to create key wad_auto_file\DefaultIcon". So I tried to download XWE again and install it. No success. Sites where it was uploaded, dont exits. None of them. Hm. I guess something is missing on systém, but I dont know what. Can somebody give an advice or working link to XWE?

I propose the XWE site (if it still exists) redirect users to SLADE's site

HavoX said:

I propose the XWE site (if it still exists) redirect users to SLADE's site

Somebody call the internet police and have 'em get right on it :P

This is a common issue with XWE in later versions of Windows. Try putting these lines at the beginning of xwe.ini where the (OPTIONS) begin:

(OPTIONS)
NOREGISTRY=0
NOMRU=0
NOFILEASSOCIATIONS=1

is there any reason to use xwe over slade for editing doom? afaik slade does everything and then some, and also doesn't crash and delete your files like xwe does

Tango said:

is there any reason to use xwe over slade

Besides editing the ENDOOM screen (which SLADE cannot do), none.

is there any reason to use doom2.exe over gzdoom for playing doom? afaik gzdoom does everything and then some, and also doesn't crash and nullify your progress like doom2.exe does

Yeah but some people insist on getting the exact XWE experience, including the bugs, and you can't use SLADE to test if a wad is XWE-compatible; and also SLADE cannot play back XWE demos.

Gez said:

Yeah but some people insist on getting the exact XWE experience, including the bugs, and you can't use SLADE to test if a wad is XWE-compatible; and also SLADE cannot play back XWE demos.

Yeah. I especially fucking love when it changes my IWADs into PWADs; if your doom.wad doesn't have a modified stamp from yesterday and doesn't say PWAD at the top then you should re-evaluate whether or not you're a true Doomer IMNSHO. And the way it randomly corrupts files, or rewrites the WAD directories so that they're full of Delphi string garbage? PRICELESS. I mean you can put a value on a bug in SLADE like accidentally adding grAb segments to map images but something like trashing a WAD you spent hours on AND somehow simultaneously deltreeing all the backups? You cannot buy that for anything.

I use XWE cause Slade doesnt work. It throws error. I posted it somewhere there already. Honestly I dont give a fuck what editor I will use, only thing that matters is if it works. And XWE works while Slade not, so its clear for me.

^ thanks, I'll try it when I get a chance ;)

hopefully it will do the job until the day sirjuddington/Slayer implements it (no hurry though)