Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Cavernous cave

I've got me a cave right here that I'm struggling to make all the corners into ramps
a'la

But whenever I set the linedefs to slopes, the floor ramps upward which is not what I want.

what do with this?

I'm not an expert at ZDoom map editing, but here's my method to create a cave. You need to split sectors properly in order to create sloped sectors. I added screenshots to demonstrate it. First one shows the linedefs, and second one shows the sectors which is important(the middle water sector is splited for just for shadows). Keep in mind that each sectors are seperated, not jointed. The last one is the result.

Spoiler

Slopes work this way: The affected sector will be sloped between 2 height extremes (read: minimum and maximum Z height). The first height extreme is determined by the linedef with slope action, usually it's the floor/ceiling height of the sector on the opposite side of this linedef. The second height extreme is defined as the affected sector's own current height, and what's important, the exact [XY] point of this extreme is defined as one of this sector's vertices which is the most distant from the linedef with slope action. Never assume that sectors will be properly sloped against an "opposite" line to the slope action line, unless they're perfectly parallel to each other. Also, individual sectors cannot be affected by more than 1 slope action for a floor slope and 1 for a ceiling slope, which means that if you want elaborate terrain, you need to split your intended sloped sector into multiple smaller ones, and carefully assign slope action to each of them - carefully in regards of choosing the "opposite" line to be parallel with the slope action line, otherwise the slope will end up irregularly angular (but valid).

The most reliable way to make sure the slopes all manage to slope smoothly together is to make sure there is no sector of the slope that isn't a triangle. In some contexts you can keep some smooth sections of the slope a rectangle, but usually it's just better to split the slope sector into as many triangles to make sure that there's not one sector that composes it with more than three sides.