Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

*Actual* system requirements

Recommended Posts

With the closed alpha imminent, http://doom.com/en-us/alpha/faq now has system requirements:

Minimum Spec (720p)

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB VRAM) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection

Recommended Spec (1080p)

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7 @ 3.4GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz or better
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB or more VRAM) / AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB or more VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection

That HDD space requirement is obviously for the closed alpha only and the final version will require a good deal more, but I think otherwise we can probably expect the final system reqs to basically look like this.

Share this post


Link to post

Welp, time for me to start thinking about getting a new GPU for Christmas...

I didn't think my current one will cut it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

So I take it my 4850 will wilt against this thing.

It kind of sucks because I'm at a point where I need to phase out Windows and yet my old PC is no longer good enough to keep around as "the Windows system." I don't really want to drop $300 or whatever to put a new graphics card into a computer I built in 2009 <:P

Share this post


Link to post

6 Gigs for what is essentially one level and one mode with just a few weapons and character models.
I remember when games being a whole entire gig was crazy. FUTURE!

Share this post


Link to post
wheresthebeef said:

6 Gigs for what is essentially one level and one mode with just a few weapons and character models.
I remember when games being a whole entire gig was crazy. FUTURE!


There are still loads of full games that come in under 6 gigs. Different games and engines have different requirements!

In general though yes, games are getting bigger. Higher resolution assets will push up file sizes. Also lazy development can be an issue, leaving audio uncompressed and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

RAM is cheap as chips (haha get it) nowadays, that's probably the easiest thing to fix.


Not a chance, though. Even if it was easy to upgrade for my laptop (yes, you read that right), I wouldn't want to risk accidentally killing it. The CPU and GPU would probably need upgrading too. While upgrading is probably the cheaper option, I'd rather play it safe and just buy a whole new machine once I manage to gather up enough money.

Share this post


Link to post

Does the requirement of "high speed internet connection" mean that there will be constant internet verification during playing the game?

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah those specs are specifically for the MP alpha, so a decent connection should almost go without saying. But people are stupid so of course they need to write it down.

Having said that unless you're getting a retail disc, you will want a pretty good conection to download the game, it'll be fairly large.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Yeah those specs are specifically for the MP alpha, so a decent connection should almost go without saying. But people are stupid so of course they need to write it down.

Having said that unless you're getting a retail disc, you will want a pretty good conection to download the game, it'll be fairly large.

Having said that, the game will also only be available through Steam and Steam will be required even if you buy a disc so, you'll need the Internet connection regardless. And the first thing the game will do is download a several GBs update, no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Linguica said:

With the closed alpha imminent, http://doom.com/en-us/alpha/faq now has system requirements:
That HDD space requirement is obviously for the closed alpha only and the final version will require a good deal more, but I think otherwise we can probably expect the final system reqs to basically look like this.


I'm building a machine that's basically double all that. I'll be set.

My soon to be assembled specs:

Intel core i7, Radeon r7370 which will be SLI'd when I can afford another one of these bad motherfuckers, 64 gigs of ddr 4 ram, and a whole bunch of other shit.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm curious as if SLI or crossfire will have any up sides or down sides. I have two 780 ti's currently and I think one would be enough to play at a steady framerate around max settings or hopefully max. Also curious as to what options we have when it comes to video settings, I assume it will be very limited to basic stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

As I said In a previous post regarding this, If Alien Isolation can run on my 2.5 GHz computer with a NIVDIA Geforce 750M, then I can totally run this at Medium or High.

Hopefully they optimized It just as good as Alien Isolation, which the graphics on that game feel a little similar to DOOM for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Tritnew said:

As I said In a previous post regarding this, If Alien Isolation can run on my 2.5 GHz computer with a NIVDIA Geforce 750M, then I can totally run this at Medium or High.

You'll be lucky if the game runs in your machine at all, Mobile GPUs don't have the same horsepower as their Desktop counterparts (the newer ones are getting very close though).

Share this post


Link to post
AlektorophobiA said:

You'll be lucky if the game runs in your machine at all, Mobile GPUs don't have the same horsepower as their Desktop counterparts (the newer ones are getting very close though).


Well, Alien Isolation Is supposed to be a very powerhouse PC game, and It runs very well on my PC. Hopefully DOOM will too. Unlike Wolfenstein The New Order, which Is probably due to the unoptimized engine It was on.

Share this post


Link to post

Guess I'm completely out of luck, not that it matters too much since I doubt I'd be getting it until it got a Steam sale anyway. My computer specs are:

3.16 GHz Duocore CPU
4 GB RAM
AMD 5670 512MB GPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

So yeah, it may be a little too weak to handle this.

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

Guess I'm completely out of luck, not that it matters too much since I doubt I'd be getting it until it got a Steam sale anyway. My computer specs are:

3.16 GHz Duocore CPU
4 GB RAM
AMD 5670 512MB GPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

So yeah, it may be a little too weak to handle this.


The most Idiotic but simple thing I did was buy two 50 dollar Steam cards to get Wolfenstein: TNO, I'm not kidding. I think I got some other games with the rest of the money too.

Share this post


Link to post

Only thing I can see myself having possible issues with is the processor (mine's an Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz) but aside from that I either meet or exceed system requirements. Of course, I don't actually plan on getting the game on day one despite it being Doom. I'm gonna wait and see if it'll be worth picking up.

Share this post


Link to post

I need to upgrade my machine. I need a new Graphics card, which one should I buy? It should be as cheap as possible while still being able to run Doom 2016 on lowest settings. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 is the lowest, but that isn't available on the market anymore. On the other hand, 750 Ti doesn't work it seems, so what should I go for? I presume a 740 or 750 won't work either. Would a 950 be enough? Or do I need something ever more expensive. Or should I go for some kind of AMD Radeon card?

Share this post


Link to post
Cire said:

I need to upgrade my machine. I need a new Graphics card, which one should I buy? It should be as cheap as possible while still being able to run Doom 2016 on lowest settings. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 is the lowest, but that isn't available on the market anymore. On the other hand, 750 Ti doesn't work it seems, so what should I go for? I presume a 740 or 750 won't work either. Would a 950 be enough? Or do I need something ever more expensive. Or should I go for some kind of AMD Radeon card?

Right now I'm still running an amd r9 270x and it plays it perfectly fine. You can find them relatively cheap now too.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×