Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

How to copypaste without sectors breaking?

When I copy and then paste some sectors, often many unclosed ones appear, especially when I try attaching stuff to walls, etc. I have zero understanding how it works, what are the rules for this?

It's a simple matter of connect the dots. If you're rotating a weird angle, you have a 0% chance of it connecting unless you're absolutely perfect. Which you won't be. No matter how hard you try, you will always be 1 pixel off and have to just draw it from scratch.

It sometimes helps to use the vertices tool to drag the vertices over to the linedefs.

The make sectors tool is also your friend.

The pasted sectors must not overlap any existing sectors, OR they must all fit into one already existing sector. If they merely touch existing geometry without a slightest overlapping, it should be fine. That's my experience with DB2.

Usually (in my experience) this happens when you try to paste a sector with at least one one-sided lindef into another sector. It breaks the sector you pasted it into since that one linedef's back should be touching the void.

Of course there are other instances where this happens and I also have no idea why, seemingly random occurrence as far as I can tell. Playing with vertices in order to rebuild the nodes around the problem area sometimes helps too.

Why don't they make it smarter so that you paste and if there are problems with 1-sided\2-sided then the editor fixes them? I think good idea.

Memfis said:

Why don't they make it smarter

Anything smart is very hard to implement, that's probably the reason.

I can use copy pasting to say duplicate a large room and put it next to the other, and sometimes you can even line them up adjacently and the vertices will stitch together. But copypasting parts of rooms or detailed ceiling lights, pillars, or staircases often have unpredictable results.

I've never really cared to investigate everything that works and doesn't work with copy pasting, hopefully ill have a free day to do some trouble shooting and that might help. In my experiences similar to yours, in usually just find it easier to reproduce something by drawing the sectors exactly as the other instead of hoping that copying and pasting wont destroy my map.