Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom Alpha chat brinksmanship thread

Tritnew said:

Would like If they went to the Unreal Tournament Alpha route and actually let everyone play It till they finished the full game, but I guess that'd be TOO nice for Id.

Unreal Tournament is following a radically different development process. The community are deeply involved in development, and the constant public playtesting is part of the iterative process.

Doom is following a more traditional closed production approach, and letting people just play it before it's finished would be a bad thing.

Look at all the games on Steam which go into Early Access in a very unfinished state. They make a splash, hey this is a cool new thing but its pretty broken in some ways... okay maybe I'll wait and play it when its a bit more fixed. It generates a bit more interest as patches come in, but the novelty wears off, and when the final "Release" version comes out, there's hardly a splash of interest because "Oh that's been out for ages".

Tritnew said:

but nowadays we have to go In an game with low expectations.

I'll be keeping my excitement for the day I play It.

Not trying to be flippant or arrogant here but, you should always do this. Don't over-expect from anything. It's human nature to fantasize about how cool a new thing you want will be, but keep that in check and you'll be disappointed WAY less.

So I... think I've been accepted into the closed alpha. I'm not sure, I never got an e-mail but the Doom Alpha showed up on the Playstation Store for me and I could download it and even launch it and make my own load outs.

So in case I'm actually in, which seems likely, for how long do these Alphas tests usually run these days? Because one of them is like, 4am for me and I dunno if I have the strength to be up that late/early... but I really wanna play the damn game. x_x

I have the PS4 version, BTW. My computer can't run most newfangled games.

AirRaid said:

Not trying to be flippant or arrogant here but, you should always do this. Don't over-expect from anything. It's human nature to fantasize about how cool a new thing you want will be, but keep that in check and you'll be disappointed WAY less.

Oh dude, I know you aren't. I'm just saying, that most people are usually like this. The first time I saw DOOM '16 I was extremely hyped and full of expectations, till about an month where I decided to keep my cool about It.

I can see that Steam Early Access games can be complete shit, while having good Ideas too.

I got the invitation to closed alpha! However, my system specs are below minimum requirements. Has anyone participated in the previous alpha testing session and managed to run the game on a video card worse than the minimum specified? If so, what was the card and how did it handle the game?

kelliegator said:

So I... think I've been accepted into the closed alpha. I'm not sure, I never got an e-mail but the Doom Alpha showed up on the Playstation Store for me and I could download it and even launch it and make my own load outs.

Yeah, you're in. Once the servers are up, you can play it.

kelliegator said:

for how long do these Alphas tests usually run these days? Because one of them is like, 4am for me and I dunno if I have the strength to be up that late/early... but I really wanna play the damn game.

The servers will be up from the start time (December 3rd 10:00 PM) all the way until the end time (December 6th 11:59 PM). So you'll be able to play at any time on those days.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Yeah, you're in. Once the servers are up, you can play it.

The servers will be up from the start time (December 3rd 10:00 PM) all the way until the end time (December 6th 11:59 PM). So you'll be able to play at any time on those days.

You're sure? Because there are three different tests.

But if you are correct, thank jesus, then I don't need to be up so goddamn early. x_x

No, there's one testing period between the times stated. Servers will be up for pretty much all of that time (there might be occasional outages).

If your PSN account has the alpha linked to it then yes you're in and you'll be able to play come December 3rd.

Last time people were still getting keys right up to the start. Didn't you get a key last time though?

@DooM_RO I'm reading your posts in here from begining, and I wish you all the best to get your own key! I wasn't able to play alpha last time, this time I got invitation and I hope my computer will run well :) DOOM!

kelliegator said:

I have the PS4 version, BTW. My computer can't run most newfangled games.

Yeah, you're in. I'm on PS4 as well; feel free to add me: Johnny_Nebulous
I'm sure I'll be on it every possible minute as I was the last time. Plus it's a lot more fun with friends in a party. :)

The PS4 lot of us will have to start a Doom community on there. If SnapChat is as nice as they're hyping then it'd be cool to try and generate enthusiasm for a modding community on all platforms. I've seen a lot of nice modding tools on consoles go to the wayside due to lack of interest. FarCry 4 had a good one. Fun game, just basically FC3 bigger and HD so 7/10. lol

@DooM_RO Not sure which version you're bucking for, but with the PS4 version I had originally registered my beta key with an older e-mail account, of which no code had been sent for. When I went back to the website, it had an open sign up for the alpha on PS4. I signed up using my current game specific email address and instantly got the code. Dunno if this means I got picked randomly or if they were able to verify my old account against the new sign in. As is with the announcement of a burst test I'd say they probably want as many people as possible so hold out hope and I wish you luck bud. :)

Not sure if anyone noticed, but in the FAQ area of the Doom Alpha theres a sign up for the closed alpha forums where we can discuss things openly about the alpha. You have to go into your steam library and click on the closed alpha, then on the right of the screen where it shows the DLC you have for games it has the forum validation key. Or you can right-click on the closed alpha in your library and view cd key I believe. Just thought I'd give a heads up. Could be fun :)

http://doom.com/en-us/alpha/forum

TheGamePhilosophe said:

What is stopping people from discussing it here, besides the cases where their user profile is the same as their steam account?

Not being an asshole?

It's under NDA.

Anyway there is no DLC for the Alpha for me on Steam so I can't request access to the forum.

Fucking hell, I'm still not in...I would do ANYTHING for a key. The beta can't come soon enough.

I GOT IN! I GOT IN!

There was this guy on another forum that didn't need the code anymore because he is very busy with his job and gave it away to me. Can't believe I'm gonna finally frag!

See you tomorrow!

I handed my Xbox One Alpha to a friend, he will play it and tell me what it is like (and show me, hopefully) and I will see if I can report any of it here.

That is implying he actually remembers to play it/tell me anything.

DooM_RO said:

I GOT IN! I GOT IN!

There was this guy on another forum that didn't need the code anymore because he is very busy with his job and gave it away to me. Can't believe I'm gonna finally frag!

See you tomorrow!

Haha, glad to hear it. I'm really happy for you.

Marnetmar said:

Is it known if the next test will be any different from the last?

The Alpha FAQ seems to detail the same content as before, so probably not. However, the Alpha HAS received a couple big updates since the last test, so the game might be slightly different/improved since then.

These MP tests are designed to test all the backend stuff rather than the actual game content, so it's unlikely we'll see much of a change.