Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom Alpha chat brinksmanship thread

Why cant they just have the same "test-system" as the new unreal tournament so everyone can get in? Same thing with battlefront. They opened it up to everyone. Now they have good stats and can fix mayor bugs in it. I know doom release date is more far away than battlefront, but cmon. Thats how it should have been done, imo.

I mean, i dont think resources are the problem. Just let people play and test it. If they are going 2 stresstest the game, why not do the whole job?

Im one of those who preordered wolf:TNO before 26:may 2014.

magma86 said:

Why cant they just have the same "test-system" as the new unreal tournament so everyone can get in? Same thing with battlefront. They opened it up to everyone. Now they have good stats and can fix mayor bugs in it. I know doom release date is more far away than battlefront, but cmon. Thats how it should have been done, imo.

I mean, i dont think resources are the problem. Just let people play and test it. If they are going 2 stresstest the game, why not do the whole job?

Im one of those who preordered wolf:TNO before 26:may 2014.

As much as I would like to just have it be open, Doom also isn't primarily a multiplayer game, unlike the other two.B

I'm in. Unfortunately due to the legal waffle I can't actually discuss it here. Oh well. No doubt videos and screenshots will be leaked on imageboards by people anyway.

Since these are basically prototype screenshots, I'm making extra special care to hold onto them. Doubly so since the way the weapons function may differ in the final from these descriptions.

I'd advise everyone to be on the lookout for anything new if they can, in the event the Alpha cannot be run post-release, and for the sake of documenting this game's dev cycle.

Captain Toenail said:

I'm in. Unfortunately due to the legal waffle I can't actually discuss it here. Oh well. No doubt videos and screenshots will be leaked on imageboards by people anyway.

Can you tell us if it's

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

fun

DooM_RO said:

I can't believe I'm not in...I've been waiting since 2008!!!! C'mon LET ME IN!

Okay man we get it you're disappointed that you didn't get in the alpha, but you need to stop yelling about it. Not least because there's nothing anyone can do about it, especially here.

Clonehunter said:

Interesting guns.

The grenade looks sort of like a heart

The more I look at the repeater the more I like it. Reminds me of the rifle from the alpha and from the sprite.

I ended up getting my email around 6 yesterday. I hope we can preload on steam soon! Looking forward to playing with some of you in the coming days.

The guy that leaked the pics of the guns has his username plastered on the top right; he (or she) really should've done more to block that out, because they will probably be banned by the time the alpha starts.

MetroidJunkie said:

Which doesn't make much difference since that person uses the same name for imgur.

Well obviously use a different Imgur account; that or claim your PSN account isn't affiliated with that imgur account, because right now both names match up. Doesn't matter in the end because these pics are now out there, there's no deleting it because somewhere someone has already reuploaded them.

DooM_RO said:

I can't believe I'm not in...I've been waiting since 2008!!!! C'mon LET ME IN!

If it'll ease your pain mate then we are in the same boat(( Well...there's still hope....if it is test 1 then we could be lucky to be part of test 2 or 3))

wheresthebeef said:

Well obviously use a different Imgur account; that or claim your PSN account isn't affiliated with that imgur account, because right now both names match up. Doesn't matter in the end because these pics are now out there, there's no deleting it because somewhere someone has already reuploaded them.

If ID actually goes through with their threat, it'll be a PR Nightmare for them because they should know better than to think nobody would leak images and it would be insanely easy to remove the watermark if you actually tried to.

MetroidJunkie said:

If ID actually goes through with their threat, it'll be a PR Nightmare for them because they should know better than to think nobody would leak images and it would be insanely easy to remove the watermark if you actually tried to.

It's not as if those users agreed to an NDA or something.
Wait hang on...

There could be the obvious watermarks which fools may blot out and think they got away with it, but then there could be the hidden ones along the rest of the image which is difficult to be seen.

That image is gone now however.

For historical purposes, you might want to record and/or screenshot and just wait until the NDA contract expires to post images (if it does expire).

If there wasn't a NDA... It'd be fair game. Apparently there is, and abiding by it is obviously safer than sorry, and respectful. The more who don't not only hurt themselves, but hurt future chances for alpha considerations for other titles for everyone. Why bother if people are just going to disregard your rules, right? Not to mention inadvertently causing unwanted public attention to feedback on something that isn't even complete yet and ready for mass debut (especially in a alpha state). Wrong early impressions might be intreputed from unfinished work that may radically change by the end outcome, and leave a stigma before it's actually finished... shit spreads like fire in such a social and offended world these days were idiots that didn't have a means of preaching a opinion on the net 20 years ago now do to millions of viewers.

So aside from those wishing to tarnish their dignity and good word to id software (who is going out of their way to let you test their yet-to-be-released upcoming title early) and deliberatetly disobey a legally binding contractual obligations to test said-software, does anyone know when this alpha might be preloadable on steam... I'd assume (hopefully) before Friday.

Oh calm down. As much as companies would dearly love to have you think otherwise, there is no moral component to signing a contract, and there is no immoral component to breaking one.

Agree with Buckshot completely. Why risk totally fucking up something like this up for everyone? And especially potentially give all of us here a bad name as well? I hope no one decides to try and be sneaky and end this as quick as it began..

On another note, here's my question.

I have the beta on PS4 as well as PC. I got an invite the other day for the steam test, so obviously I'm in for the PC alpha. The issue here is I went into my account management settings on my PS4 just out of curiosity to see if the Doom Beta license was changed due to the alpha being out and it now says 'Doom Closed Alpha' instead of just Doom Beta Access. Maybe I got in to both? I don't know where to ask this question, but if anyone has the PS4 beta you should check it out in Settings/Account Management/Account Information/Services List. This just leaves me to almost assume that I have alpha access on the PS4 too, but I only received an email saying it was for steam and got no key. It's supposedly tied to my steam account now. Strange part is, I got the email twice..?

Linguica said:

Oh calm down. As much as companies would dearly love to have you think otherwise, there is no moral component to signing a contract, and there is no immoral component to breaking one.

it's more that I'm concerned about early stuff being misinterpreted as being broken or "needs more work" to the masses than morals. People be quick to pass judgement on in-progress (or the wrong thing entirely) projects and confuse them with the end result.

especially in a industry of early releases and Kickstart betas or greenlight-indie developments. seeing it more and more as "ugh, it's not complete... so it sucks".

after the entire uncharted 4 review fiasco last week from vg247, I think it's a legitimate concern nowadays:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/14/letter-from-the-editor-an-apology-to-naughty-dog-and-uncharted-fans/

Of course, with all that I just said... yes, there's plenty of games that even upon completion (if even completed at all) are atrocious turds, and alot of companies use limited alpha and betas for marketing hype and consumer interest.... but I prefer to remain painfully gullible and optimistic.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I have the beta on PS4 as well as PC. I got an invite the other day for the steam test, so obviously I'm in for the PC alpha. The issue here is I went into my account management settings on my PS4 just out of curiosity to see if the Doom Beta license was changed due to the alpha being out and it now says 'Doom Closed Alpha' instead of just Doom Beta Access. Maybe I got in to both? I don't know where to ask this question, but if anyone has the PS4 beta you should check it out in Settings/Account Management/Account Information/Services List. This just leaves me to almost assume that I have alpha access on the PS4 too, but I only received an email saying it was for steam and got no key. It's supposedly tied to my steam account now. Strange part is, I got the email twice..?

Says Doom Beta Demo for me

For those complaining that they didn't get an alpha invite, there is a passage about it in a recently posted article -

Marty Stratton said:

I mentioned in our opening remarks, we’re going to be doing a few alpha tests coming up relatively soon. They’re pseudo private. They’re out in the world but… there’s a bunch of people who pre-ordered Wolfenstein a while back, that’s a pretty big group actually, so the alpha test, this coming up, are… we’re going to do a random drawing from that beta group to fill those slots, and those will grow in size. It’ll start really small and they get bigger, and then everyone who pre-ordered Wolfenstein will be in the beta test that happens closer to launch in the spring.

So if you didn't get into the first test this weekend, they will be expanding the player base and more invites will be sent for future tests. Everyone who pre-ordered will have access to the beta.

Also, the invites are apparently a random sample, not based on location or anything.

Just the email telling me I'm invited. On the FAQ it says I'll have to enter my key to add it to my library to be able to install it. I originally thought it was going to be automatically added to my library until I read this just now. Anyone know the answer to this?

EDIT: Guys sorry lol I went back over the email for the 100000000th time. It'll be added to my steam library either later today or tomorrow. I'm getting anxious and over thinking little 'what if's' lol

It app in steam is currently showing up named "Main Menu", but it has a white on black Doom icon.