Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TitanJedi

That Doom movie amiright?

I understand that there's a hatred of the Doom re-creation on the big screen on here but I feel tht i was under-rated. Sure, it mayhave not been that relevent to doomat all and the effects were terrible buyt honestly the movie standalone wasn 2 bad

I don't want to start any argumants but i relly wan to hear what you guys have to say :D

scifista42 said:

Most of those threads quite old. I think it's fair enough this pops up now and again. Newer members deserve their chance to slag off this pos give their thoughts.

Anyways, I thought it was ok in the usual limited way. It should really have been called the Doom 3 movie. I'd like to see a movie done where the homage is to the design and palette of the original games. And where it opens with Doomguy actually suckin' dust in the rec room...

I thought it was a surprisingly great movie! It just was a little light on the horror element, but aside from that, I was fascinated by the FPS sequence, and really impressed that "DM" was kind of incorporated and featured in the movie.

Also enjoyed the casting with Karl Urban (one hit wonder in my book, but he pulled the character very well if you ask me) and "What's cookin'?" The Rock!

I still don't get why the writers felt the need to make the story about genetically altered humans rather than demons from hell, did they feel the original story line was too religious for their liking or something?

It's a decent action movie with a decent novelization. If you look past the head scratching changes from the source material it's entertaining in its violence, the Rock doing god knows what, Urban sort of giving a fuck, and Raz Adoti being tired but still occasionally funny.

Actually, I like the novelization a bit more than the film, though again, it's not really Doom.

Some actual props are set designs, effects, props, and costuming. The soundtrack was decent, too.

Gotta say, I was disappoointed when it first came out.

Also gotta say, whenever it's on cable I put it on. Something comforting about it... something soul-foody about it. Maybe it's just cuz of the Rock and Urban... I dunno, but it's fun to watch really casually.

The presentation is okay but I just can't get past the bad writing, drags the whole thing down. It's like when the force was hand-waved as "mitochondria bacteria", trying to come up with some BS Pseudo-Scientific explanation doesn't make it sound more believable. Why can't some things just not be answerable by Science?

I actually enjoyed the Hell Knight vs Man fight scene and of course the POV scene.

So there are worth while moments in the Doom movie, heck if you want to see some Doom 3 Imps you will find your share and with awesome costumes too. But indeed... the movie really missed a good opportunity to create something amazing.

Who the F$*% was it pandering to? It sure wasn't Doom fans.

I mean shit, I don't see the point of changing the plot.

The movie's gonna be watched by people that give a shit about the games, they're basically the ones that will give the most shits and money. They go to see Doom, it's not Doom. What's the point? Seems like bad business to me.

It's like shit, if you're making a Thomas the Tank Engine movie, make it a Thomas the Tank Engine movie. Not a documentary on trains. Kids aren't gonna care about that shit.

So originally it was going to be ambiguous as to what they actually were? I notice, in the script, it says the intruder isn't genetically identifiable as human, which obviously goes completely against the finalized script.

I always thought it was of course a huge shame that they didn't do demons and hell, but I agree that it was a fun to watch (and rewatch a time or two) movie on its own. The little and not so little references, the reimagination of the original story, I always like those kinds of odd takes on established things. Fuck, I love the heck out of the super mario bros movie!

It has The Rock. 'Nuf said.

The movie was a good mindless piece of entertainment with some daring scenes shot in first person. It did not contain the rather stereotypical (slightly uninspired) demons with hooves, horns, or Crang and the T.M.N.T but it contained zombies, a BFG, and a doom 3 styled story.

I think it's a good movie, but not a good DOOM movie. If it had stood on it's own with a different name, a lot of my complaints would be invalid, and it wouldn't be so bad. Although, I do think it's really cool how the DVD has a demo for Doom 3 if you put it in a 360 (According to the box of my friend's DVD)

I only managed to watch it a few years ago while I was staying at my fathers place and it wasn't at all that much like Doom, but I admit I did somewhat enjoy it but only barely though.

I hated it:

- The monsters aren't demons, just mutant humans. However, the outcome of this mutation does depend on some moral compass, so we can still see them as "demons" or berserk-charged people (i.e. that's not so bad and might count as original too).

- The monsters are disgusting and generic: instead of igniting fireballs, they just "kiss" their victims in order to spread the mutation or virus (whatever it is).

- All monsters are either generic zombies or Doom 3 models. Nothing more.

- Strange inconsistent technology with no logic. We have a fairly realistic-looking confined Mars base, but they're using "nanowalls" as doors. And those nanowalls can phase in and out, cutting whoever is there in half.

- Unnecessary first-person view homage. Just because it's based on Doom it doesn't need to remind us all that it's a video game adaptation.

- The big fight is just a brawl between two humans, while what Doom should really be about is gunning demons.

Frankly the elements that were cut from that script to the screen were not a loss IMHO and they wouldn't have made for a better movie if they'd made it in. The whole subtext of Sarge having been behind John's parents' death is unnecessary to make Sarge a bad guy, he's perfectly good at being one without that. Also, the whole weird shift at the end is borderline nonsense, and the attempt to re-explain Earth religions as a cycle of worlds being destroyed by use of this wormhole technology (which for "some reason" blows one planet up as a nuclear explosion and freezes the other one solid when it's destroyed...) is overcooked, to me. It's unclear and confusing what is even happening at the end. They're talking to the UAC which should indicate they're on the same planet as before, but then they come out and then what?

I think Doom needs the ownership of a company like Blizzard to have a compelling story that would make a good movie... All their games have huge backstories, even if they amount to Doom-like gameplay complexity (Diablo).

I have it on Blu-Ray and I wheel it out every so often. Granted, as a Doom movie, it sucks. Bad. But as a piece of fun, trashy, disconnect-your-brain entertainment, it succeeds in my book. My only real criticism other than the changes to the original (or even Doom 3, for that matter) story is that we get the big FPS scene, and then it's as if the writer and director are like, "okay, we've killed all the monsters, now what? Fuck it, let's just run the final reel of Universal Soldier!" Seriously, I sat through that whole scene waiting for Sarge to come off with, "Say goodnight, asshole!"

I'm in the "it's a decent movie but a bad Doom movie" camp. Aside from the first-person segment (which is incredibly over-the-top cheesy) there's really nothing that makes it Doom. The monsters are genetic mutations based off a moral compass, no real tech/flesh hybrids, etc. The movie ends in freaking hand-to-hand combat for crying out loud.

Linguica said:

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the Doom movie's release BTW.

Conveniently coinciding with Back to the Future day and being overshadowed by it because frankly BTTF is a good movie and Doom is not.