Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

The most overrated games you've played

We have a thread dedicated to the most underrated games we played. I think it's only fair that we have one dedicated to the most overrated games we played.

For me, the first 2 Final Fantasy Games and Secret of Mana seemed a bit overrated.
Secret of Mana wasn't exactly a bad game parse, but it was way overrated.
The first 2 Final Fantasy games were actually not too good in my opinion.

The easy target I would give is the Call of Duty series after the first couple installments.

But a more debatable game I would accuse is Halo. Absolutely overrated in my opinion, granted multiplayer can be good fun though.

GTA 3 and up are in fact overrated in my opinion. Not that they aren't bad games or anything but they definitely are not innovative, in-depth nor offer as much replay-ability as the masses and sales figures suggest it is, imo.

Finally Age of Empires. Another good game and the first kinda blew my mind but newer installments didn't exactly make any impressive improvements and yet it's on a Pedestal.

I'm waiting for someone to say Half Life.

Gears of War. I played it for a couple of hours last night on the XBox360 for the first time ever (playing Hardcore, which is the middle difficulty). It's an annoying game to play, as the cover mechanic is too prominent and the vaunted chainsaw bayonet is crap to use as it changes the movement controls when you're revving it. Plus an enemy can just get a shot on target and stop your impending bloodbath on its tracks. Speaking of the enemies, the basic Locust take far too much damage, considering they also take cover. I'll slog through it and the two sequels though...

It might work in co-op, but my main co-op buddy played it to death back when it was new, so I'm going solo.

Its far easier to select the most overrated.

Pick anything that has an advertising budget for television and has a gun. Weird how the Internet hates them, yet they sell millions of copies.

Skyrim, it was just a major disappointment for me after my experiences with Oblivion and then Morrowind, too much of what made the games great and unique which were mostly RPG mechanics were completely stripped away, it feels too much more like an action adventure rather than an RPG. The story was very unoriginal which focuses on the same old cliche routine of "Dragons are terrorizing and we must slay them." which many medieval fantasy stories have done to death, however even the second Witcher game which I enjoyed also did the thing with a dragon in the plotline but at least I found that an overall better game.

Chezza said:

GTA 3

I would say GTA3 is the underrated game of the post-3D GTA games. Nobody seems to like it or care that it exists because of Vice City and San Andreas with the constant war over which one is better, completely ignoring GTA3. It's probably because it was GTA's first experiment in the 3D world and obviously being the first it kind of sucked but it was a step in the right direction and then they mastered it pretty much immediately after (being on the Vice City side of the GTA3 expansion wars).

Considering the ridiculous kind of hype the game received at the time (one magazine even rating it above a perfect score), Donkey Kong Country still reigns for me. A pretty by the numbers platformers with cookie cutter level design, frustrating sub-par collision detection and uninspired boss encounters. It's the most extreme example I can think of when it comes to being blinded by sheer graphical spectacle.

Problem for me with Skyrim and the Sims is I spent hundreds of hours in Morrowind, Oblivion, Sims 1 & 2 so I just can't get into the new iterations. Even in new worlds with upgrades, its stale.

Donkey Kong Country 1 was and still is awesome. I don't think the levels are cookie cutter. Mind cart, barrel shooting. Boss encounters are uninspiring, but the game is easy in a good enjoyable way, because DKC2 threw it all out the window. I'd rather play DKC1 than DKC2. I've been through the second a few times with my cousins.

Grand Theft Auto 3 I feel was overrated. Its just dull due to unpolish if that makes sense. You can find your own fun everywhere, but the game gets needlessly difficult when gangs are after you. Can't survive races because your cars get shot up pretty quick. Still a fantastic stepping stone, but its the worst of the 3D GTAs.

Secret of Mana I think has picked up a lot of hype on the Internet, because back when it first came out no one was playing it. Same with Earthbound. I had to special order both games to even get them in my little area.

The first two Final Fantasies are just time investments. Like a simplified game of chess. The first has a generic plot, while the second is the plot of Star Wars. They've been improved over the years by making them less of a grind. I'd rather play the remakes.

To the Moon
Back to the Future the game from Telltale
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Braid
Dear Esther
Rocket League
Final Fantasy 7
The Original Tomb Raider
Chrono Trigger
Super Meat Boy

Doom 2

Other than the new enemies and the ssg, the rest was very meh. The levels felt like a random megawad you got off some level pack cd and the music was ...wat?

In comparison, Ultimate Doom had *awesome* levels and *awesome* music. So maybe it was because UD was done better that Doom 2 felt meh.

UDoom was less varied and much easier minus the fact that you didn't have a SSG but its level design was generally much better than Doom 2's and it did indeed have mostly better music.

Half Life 2. It's a good game which is worth to check it, but the action/shooting side is really weak compared to how the game it's presented and it looks. There are very few good moments and for the most is dull, boring or tedious.

Zulk-RS said:

the first 2 Final Fantasy Games

Idk, at least to me they always seemed to be kinda snobbed in favor of the other games with specifically Final Fantasy II as the black sheep of the family. That said Final Fantasy II is kinda tedious to play and Final Fantasy I combat is a mixed bag on the NES.

gaspe said:

the action/shooting side is really weak compared to how the game it's presented and it looks. There are very few good moments and for the most is dull, boring or tedious.

I couldn't agree more, however I found the story interesting enough to play through it fully once but after that it just wasn't interesting to me anymore.

Chezza said:

I'm waiting for someone to say Half Life.

Allow me to end your anticipation.

Half-Life sucks.

The sims. Lets play a game about taking out the trash, decorating your home, going to a party... in a distant third person mode. I admit its fun to play just to fool around but not as an actual full blown gaming experience.

Why do people still think Doom had better levels than Doom 2? Are your brains blocking out the traumatic experience of E3's shittiness?

Pedro VC said:

A link to the past
Majora's Mask
Anything from the Megaman series

Although the Megaman games and Megaman X games seemed overrated to me, I kinda liked the spin-off(?) titles such as Battle Network and Megaman Zero for the GBA.

Edit: This thread made me think of something. If a game is called shit by the majority but is actually even shitier than what everyone made it out to be, is it still an overrated game?

pretty much every Zelda game except for the two Oracle ones.

FF is pretty overrated franchise as a whole, but when people are mentioning II, I'm wondering if they actually mean the Final Fantasy II or if they're really mentioning IV (because it got numbered in NA as II).

Call of Duty

Definitely a contender, if only because of the sheer mass-market hype that goes in to the franchise. Something that is so big is always going to have a dubious community, too. But, underneath it all, is a solid product and premise. CoD has still been more fun to play with friends than most multiplayer games.

Half-Life

A difficult one. Kinda the reverse of the above, the "hype" by modern standards was tame back in the day. But I didn't think the game itself was particularly amazing, it was a solid engine and decent enough product, but it lacked atmosphere, certainly compared to Doom, and didn't have the humour or involving nature of Duke 3D. I've always felt Unreal was much superior.

Gears of War

Agreed with SP which is close to awful. This and its sequel are games that absolutely have to be played with friends after beers and pizza. Lock them away at all other times.

Skyrim

No way. Skyrim is an epic experience, even with a certain depressing uniformity to dungeons and side quests. But there is always a new NPC, a new piece of dialogue, around every corner, and there are genuinely hundreds of hours of adventure packed into this game. And it is stunningly, epically beautiful. It is still the gold standard of the series and the torch by which ESO is (rightly) judged. Bethesda needs to get its ass back into the series ASAP.

Doom 2

I ought to smite you for suggesting this. Often people cite the level design, but as Marcaek rightly points out, Doom had its fair share of iffy design. The point is, it didn't matter at the time, it was 32 more levels of Doom, and they were right to make it Doom 1.5 rather than messing with the fundamentals of the engine and game which probably would've stopped this community before it started. Also Doom 2 does add a really important weapon, and much better variety of monsters, it rounds out and completes one of the greatest games of all time. Look at it this way - how many pwads are released for Doom 2 vs Doom? Sometimes you have to judge a game in other ways.

Half Life 2

Seriously? Half Life 2 is pretty much the definitive FPS of the 00s. It was a coming of age title for the genre. It moved the genre forward, graphically and in terms of physics and dynamics. It was way more immersive than anything that had gone before it, and it was set in an utterly compelling and believable universe that served to bring us Portal and Portal 2 as well. It's a master class in how to do a linear FPS properly, upheld by rigorous story-driven elements. I still shudder when I go through Ravenholm. I get sweaty palms crossing the underside of the bridge by Highway 17. It's a travesty that Valve has left the series effectively hanging - it's their magnum opus.

Counter Strike 1.6
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
GTA series
Bioshock Infinite
Final Fantasy 7
Minecraft
Some Zelda games
Most Mario games

I love Half-Life 1. Half-Life 2 took me a while to get into it. I was pretty unimpressed until further in the game.

As for the expansions, Blue Shift was very lack luster, but Opposing Force was awesome.

Half-Life - I liked what they did with scripted sequences to advance the story, but I didn't like that they sacrificed non-linear level design for that.

Half-Life II - cool setting, some nice physics puzzles here and there, but mediocre gameplay.

Unreal II - all eye-candy, no substance. A truck load of bad design decisions.

I actually enjoyed Blue Shift more than I enjoyed Half-Life. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are certainly worthy games, but they definitely get more praise than they're worth. But when you want an involved story that tells you where to go with some atmosphere, Half Life 2 is without a doubt the answer. It's immersive, if flawed in the actual gameplay. When it came out, it was nice eye-candy here and there, although by today it looks pretty hideous. It was also just a shining example of the engine, and Source Engine games still have some of the best water effects I've seen (Though I'm not certain that's an engine thing or just really good work with shaders, etc...)

As for an overrated game, Turok. Really, I don't get this game. It's fun to shoot things, I like the ruins here and there and some odd elements, but God is it boring otherwise. And the levels mostly look like ass, too. It was a slog. A boring, un-fun slog.

Minecraft and Skyrim have something most people don't consider, modding scene. Mods are the *point* for playing and purchasing these two games. Skyrim is very modifiable down to even the executable. Minecraft itself, from the mouths of the devs themselves, is a platform for mods. Vanilla minecraft is a 'module' in a system that is meant for other mods. In the same way that the stories of neverwinter nights games are simply modules in a module loader. Granted, Minecraft's ability to be modded without the third party forge is contesting that definition a little, it is still by admission of the devs, simply a modding platform. I think both of these games should be judged in terms of their purpose, a platform for mods and content creation.