Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

The most overrated games you've played

About the hype culture. I've avoided it maybe 3 years now and its been easy to do so. I don't watch trailers for movies or games. I'm completely blind when going into something.

Joe667 said:

Okay... that doesn't make it overrated.
Also the traders-to-players ratio is 1:3.

The trading scene of TF2 is overrated, not the game itself, I forgot to be specific.

joe-ilya said:

The trading scene of TF2 is overrated, not the game itself, I forgot to be specific.

People brag about the hundreds or thousands of dollars a month they make. I laughed when I read one random profile saying he bought his car from TF2 trading.

Tritnew said:

Goldeneye 007, you guys know It's overrated.

Split-screen multiplayer was one of my fondest memories. Also, Goldeneye was one of the best games of the late 90s.

jazzmaster9 said:

Any post 90's FPS is pretty much for stupid people. :P :P

So now you are agreeing Bioshock is for stupid people?

Doominator2 said:

So now you are agreeing Bioshock is for stupid people?

I've never played Bioshock but stupid people love flashy glowy shinny things.

Super meat boy, Kung Fury: Street Rage, Any HALO or Call Of Duty game, Minecraft, Counterstrike Global offense, and Redneck Rampage (oh god)

Zulk-RS said:

went on the internet and saw how good people claimed it to be.

I don't play a game just because others liked it , I play what i like not what others like ;) .

BaronOfStuff said:

GoldenEye 64:
You know, never mind that it looked like you were watching a fucking slideshow when you actually did get four players in for a session.

I suppose you only played games with rocket launcher, grenade, and mine spam?

Kontra Kommando said:

Split-screen multiplayer was one of my fondest memories. Also, Goldeneye was one of the best games of the late 90s.

While I see that the Multiplayer Is enjoyable, It just looks and feels meh, and I see Perfect Dark as an better game.

Must I mention Zelda Ocarina again? Shit game. I couldn't finish it. Twilight Princess was quite a bit better, at least I finished that. Retro gaming is where it's at. About to break out the SMS and beat Phantasy Star once again.

Ashstrodamus said:

Must I mention Zelda Ocarina again? Shit game. I couldn't finish it. Twilight Princess was quite a bit better, at least I finished that. Retro gaming is where it's at. About to break out the SMS and beat Phantasy Star once again.

While I respect Ocarina, It wasn't the best game. Majora's Mask Is where It's at.

GhostlyDeath said:

I suppose you only played games with rocket launcher, grenade, and mine spam?

No, but those are the ones I remember most, unfortunately.

Another weakness of GE64 is the weapon variety. Sure you get a lot of weapons on the surface, but a lot of them have near-identical function with one in each class often just rendering the others laughably obsolete (e.g. RC-P90 >> Phantom >> D5K >> ZMG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Klobb).

Tritnew said:

While I see that the Multiplayer Is enjoyable, It just looks and feels meh, and I see Perfect Dark as an better game.

I played Goldeneye when it first came out, so my initial impressions were positive, and unspoiled by holding it to a newer game. Perfect Dark was a lot of fun too.

Maybe because i wasn't used to the graphics at the time. But me and my cousin would play it for hours, and get massive headaches.

I used to love doing stuff like, planting a proxy mine on the plane for level 3. Then detonating it, while it was flying away in the cut scene.

Though I have to say, Goldeneye was one of the worst Bond movies.

Goldeneye does look like fun, but with how stiff It looks and such, It seems more like a slideshow then anything else. However, I did give Goldeneye: Source an try, It's pretty much Half-Life 2 but It's Goldeneye. Pretty fun.

Well, I shouldn't be calling It a sideshow since DOOM 64's weapons didn't even have reloading animations (cocking and reloading the Shotgun and Super Shotgun).

maybe Pokemon for me. i don't hate the series per se, but it's massively popular and i've never been able to get into it. and i like a number of JRPGs, so i can't for the life of me understand why i don't like the game series. but i don't.

people has already expressed themselves about the Half Life games, so i don't need to repeat myself there.

Super Mario World. i don't like this game. everyone else praises it, but i don't enjoy the gameplay, and the music is boring. also, i always disliked that Mario sprite. it's way too goofy-looking. MUCH prefer Yoshi's Island.

Doomkid said:

I feel like Mario Sunshine in turn destroys Spyro, but that's because they worked out the camera after Mario64. I don't think the camera is as bad as people say it is, other than a very few select parts, everyone is just used to the full rotation camera these days. The angles it provides never gave me much issue, though.

Super Mario Sunshine is boring as poop, though. the overworld has no energy to it whatsoever, the music is un-interesting, the visuals are alright but not very memorable, and the game just puts me to sleep whenever i play it. probably the only mediocre Mario game i can think of (as much as i don't like SMW, at least it has some charm to it.)

Cyanosis said:

Half-Life 1, it's good but it hasn't aged well.

Nobody NEVER mentions HL1 as much as HL2.

Though, Earthbound Is Infact a good RPG, I like Mother 3 too (the feels).

Another overrated RPG would be Undertale nowadays, most people are literally focused more on Papyrus and Sans (they are awesome characters), they kind of made me die laughing (expect for the fucking skelepuns).

Pretty good RPG so far, I'm just stuck on the Undyne boss right now.

kristus said:

Bio shock
A game for people who are too stupid to play System Shock 2.

I agree completely with Half-Life, but I have to say, you're being pretty abrasive about System Shock 2; sorry, but it's not all that and a bag of chips, either. Unless you have the foresight to dump all of your nanites into Alien Weapon skill or whatever it was called, you were screwed.

I get it, it's made to be replayed. However, forcing a replay 90% through the game is taking it too far.

That is awful game design, particularly for a game that claims to be an RPG. Never mind that weapons and equipment break down too easily, and are not overly effective for the mostpart.

I know. I cheated my way through and have used every weapon in the game; they're very poorly balanced.

That said, I would say that Bioshock is a spiritual successor to System Shock 1 that can't fully do it justice, and for these reasons:

1) Comparing Andrew Ryan to Shodan is like comparing a snuggly Persian kitten to a fully grown Siberian tiger with a taste for human flesh.

2) Not claustrophobic enough

3) The logs were way, way to superfluous. They really didn't help progress the back story like they did in either System Shock game. While story itself is mostly superficial, the way in which it was used in the System Shock games helped to develop the growing sense of dread, which was part of the atmosphere in the game. I think all of the Bioshock games have failed miserably here.

Now, to Half-Life: Valve was so focused on story and making the game cinematic that they breached the fourth wall too many times, at least for an FPS. This is also the same problem with Half-Life 2. And it's a symptom of all of hte games that emulate this, from Call of Duty, to Halo, right to Bio-Shock

And, imo, they were even moreso in Half-Life 2 because they wanted to show off their gravity gun "tech".

Half-Life 1 also had poor weapon balance - or at least most of the weapons felt a lot weaker than they should. Half-Life 2 is still the superior game, though.

I'm not going to touch Call of Duty; I think it's been given lots of exposure; it really is same shit different package.

I am going to say that Grand Theft Auto 3 is definitely overrated. This is due to the shit controls. I mean, heaven forbid you got in a huge gunfight; circle-strafing didn't work and the autoaim was broken, period. I'd mention the graphics, but it was made for the PS2.

Secret of Mana, as others have mentioned, has been getting a lot of hype again. My condolences to the guy who paid through the nose ordering it. The game is quite mediocre. It has a lot of innovative features but...well, Secret of Evermore did it better. Because those features worked well; less grinding and all of that.

I say mention of FF2 as being overrated - no. it's not. It wasn't received well in the west, and for good reason - it sucks. It's a grindfest that limits your progress to certain story thresholds, much like FF13 - but not quite as limiting. That's right, it's less fucked up than 13.

The most overrated Final Fantasy game is probably 10; 7's pretty heavily overrated, but it's not on rails. I gave up on 10 probably about 15 hours through when I got stuck on a boss, hit an FAQ and saw how the game progressed. Basically, I thought "Okay, I'm not grinding through this only to have to play in a straight line for 40 hours."

Blitzball is also incredibly boring; I have no idea how anyone got into it. It progresses slowly and plays unfairly; it's a core minigame that feels like an afterthought, which is pretty sad.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask isn't just overrated; the game is terrible. You have something like 75 minutes to do anything important, and if you're late, the game essentially resets to the beginning of the task, and all progress on/during it is lost. IMO, exploration has been central to the Zelda games, and that completely ruins it. Eventually, you can overcome it, however you have to get there first.

Anyway, I think I've been jumping on a few bandwagons here, so I'll change gears:

The Diablo series is pretty overrated, IMO. Diablo 3 at least changes things up with how abilities can be hotkeyed and whatnot, but it's too far behind the Sacred series in that regard, and it's too far behind the rest of the RPG world in terms of making your own gear.

Quake is also highly overrated. This is mostly due to its cramped levels and terrible weapon balance. The soundtrack is also quite boring, but at least you can play your own music. And no game should EVER be a race for one kind of weapon (right, Counter-Strike?), ever. Plus, the game was fucking ugly. I'm surprised that Quake is considered the FPS that launched the genre into 3D.

Counter-Strike global offensive is very overrated, wherever i go i hear people speaking about trading , skins and such things .

Pretty much any racing game. I don't see what's so exciting about driving around a track against other vehicles. I've only played a few. Need for Speed comes to mind.

pilottobombadier said:

I'm surprised that Quake is considered the FPS that launched the genre into 3D.

Well, it was first... And 3D was sort of a big deal.

BaronOfStuff said:

No, but those are the ones I remember most, unfortunately.

Another weakness of GE64 is the weapon variety. Sure you get a lot of weapons on the surface, but a lot of them have near-identical function with one in each class often just rendering the others laughably obsolete (e.g. RC-P90 >> Phantom >> D5K >> ZMG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Klobb).

If you have a flash cart and a N64 you can check out GoldenEye X, basically Perfect Dark Engine with Goldeneye stuff.

GoatLord said:

Pretty much any racing game. I don't see what's so exciting about driving around a track against other vehicles. I've only played a few. Need for Speed comes to mind.

I was the same way and only ever played one racing game, but then I wanted more variety in the games I was playing only a few months ago and got a second 'newer' racing game just for the sake of it.