Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DUELPACK: Cross-Port Duel Compilation (32 maps, with lobby!)

DUELPACK: A cross-compatible duel compilation!

Hey there my fraggin' friends. For the sake of any vanilla DMers out there, I have compiled a pack of commonly played doom2 duel maps. Despite being 100% vanilla compatible, this pack comes with a lobby map (map00) that functions just like Duel40 and ZDDL4 in Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex. When running in vanilla, the skies will be the stock skies, but in ZDoom ports the correct skies will be displayed. Only cosmetic, everything works as intended in vanilla ports!

The maps featured are as follows:

MAP01 "entryway" by Sandy Petersen
MAP02 "ssl2" by Erkka Ryynänen
MAP03 "judas23_" by Strangenl
MAP04 "danzig1 map11" by B. Vannatta (d5m2)
MAP05 "dwango5 map01" by Rockt and Asmo
MAP06 "dwango6 map01" by Usurper
MAP07 "dwango5 map07" edit of "Dead Simple" by Sandy Petersen and American McGee
MAP08 "pobla8" by Denis Moeller
MAP09 "oblivx" by Bloodlust
MAP10 "brit10 map01" by Danny Lancashire
MAP11 "dweller2 map11" by Dweller in the Cellar
MAP12 "dwango12 map12" by Floss
MAP13 "dk_dm_13 map01" by Doomkid
MAP14 "fuloser" by Fuloser
MAP15 "king1" by by Jason Yasuko
MAP16 "greenwar map16" by Hellbent (Jason Root)
MAP17 "dwango20 map03" by The Prophet
MAP18 "kid_duel map01" by Doomkid
MAP19 "danzig2 map19" by B. Vannatta
MAP20 "greenwar map20" by Hellbent (Jason Root)
MAP21 "thehook.wad" by Spam
MAP22 "dmc2 map03" by Andrei Romanov
MAP23 "dwango6 map23" Bfw900 Map06 (Unknown Author)
MAP24 "moo2d" by Toke
MAP25 "bahdko1" by Bahdko
MAP26 "kid_duel map04" by Doomkid
MAP27 "dwango20 map32" by Traversd
MAP28 "dweller2 map02" by Dweller in the Cellar
MAP29 "swarmdmx map04" by Jason Yasuko
MAP30 "mancerx map14" by Mancer (C. Savage)
MAP31 "theden.wad" by Spam
MAP32 "bacardi1" by Lordunum (Samuel Lock)

Screenshots (honestly, you've seen most of these before)
http://images.wad-archive.com/thumb2.php?t=a&x=250&y=188&bg=2E3338&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wad-archive.com%2Fscreenshots%2Fe5d863c72e1f5de577a3ae57745c107e%2FMAP01.jpg
http://images.wad-archive.com/thumb2.php?t=a&x=250&y=188&bg=2E3338&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wad-archive.com%2Fscreenshots%2F333ca955620fd1678619e62976fb96bb%2FMAP02.jpg
http://images.wad-archive.com/thumb2.php?t=a&x=250&y=188&bg=2E3338&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wad-archive.com%2Fscreenshots%2Fae031835efe0b36c618378a18d7ccbc4%2FMAP11.jpg

Spoiler

Q: Why isn't MAPXX included in this wad? I love that map, why the hell didn't you include it?

A: I can't include everything under the sun, but anyone can compile wads assuming permission is given!

Enjoy!

It's funny to see some of these maps with the default skies. Why is there a new palette, is it supposed to make it easier to see when you're hurt? Could be considered a controversial idea. Also will there be custom intermission screen, menu logo, etc? Having default ones feels a bit lame. And shouldn't king1 have d5m01 music?

Holy crap you're right, the music for king1 is wrong in vanilla. This is what I get for mostly testing in online servers, because the MAPINFO gives all levels the correct sky and music. King1 having the wrong midi was an oversight!

There may be an update to this soon to fix that error. As is, the maps function properly so I think I'm content, but a "beefed up" version with logo, interpic and even a HUB map for the Z-ports may be on the way. For now, I think this does the job nicely, will make a great practice zone for newcomers and oldschoolers alike.

Oh and of course, the blood palette - I added that in so in vanilla, you aren't as blinded by the blood. I've noticed the vast majority of recent tournaments/competitive play are on ports that allow for blood brightness control, so I figured this was a fair way to implement that into vanilla play. MrCrispy, a fellow vanilla addict has said he prefers the old-fashioned blood, but every other person I've played this with prefers the new blood. (SavageCorona, The_Miano, Spam205 and several other OS DM regulars) It really hurts the eyes in Choco DM when you take an SSG to the face, and on top of that it blinds you completely. If enough people dislike the transparent blood, I can remove it next time around.

Thanks for commenting Memfis, hope to see you online again some time, it's been eons.

MASSIVE updates, check the OP - Added a lobby that is compatible with Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex, yet still retains Vanilla compatibility. Also fixed any issues with music and skies that used to be present. The filename is now "duelpack.wad".

Enjoy the updates! DOWNLOAD

Impressive, dude. Can't wait to host it on ZD!

In fact, you just made me want to finish my mega duel project, because 3/4 of the maps you added are the same classic stuff we had in every other duel wad.

Personally I'd love to see another pack for ZD/Zandronum that's purely NS focused. Essentially the same thing but with no vanilla/OS maps, I would happily host such a compilation on Doomshack. As it stands most duel compilations are 75% or more OS oriented, as a result the selection of newschool turf is extremely limited and honestly needs to be played with different DMflags anyway.

I'm personally not a big fan of MAP07 Dead Simple from dwango5. But the rest of the maps look pretty sweet! I've played them all many times and I approve.

I'm pretty much finished with my latest duel map (the Fight Like Hell map). I'm not sure what to do with it, but if you have any plans to make another duel compilation wad in Hexen format you're welcome to incorporate my map if you like.

Doomkid said:

Personally I'd love to see another pack for ZD/Zandronum that's purely NS focused. Essentially the same thing but with no vanilla/OS maps, I would happily host such a compilation on Doomshack. As it stands most duel compilations are 75% or more OS oriented, as a result the selection of newschool turf is extremely limited and honestly needs to be played with different DMflags anyway.

I think it's kind of hard to find maps (read: good maps) that are not necessarily OS compat in a sense. Even hexen format maps doesn't necessarily mean it can't be OS, just can't be played in certain ports! But the structures and things are more determinant at this point, so long as the map runs in all 3 main ports.

We should definitely still do the NOS compilation! Crossport compatibility while still bringing in newer maps.

I think the only gripe I have with these duel compilations for OS is that they often feature most of the same maps. I wonder what a compilation pack would look like without the staples (or omit all the maps covered by zddl/duel32(40)/jacob's ladder).