Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why does mapping for Unreal engine suck so hard?

hardcore_gamer said:

You don't use brushes for creating rooms.

That's sad. I remember using UED1 and 2 for mapping for Unreal. You made everything from BSP. Looking at how mapping is done in modern games is kind of sad. Would be much easier to model everything in one editor than have to use multiple and learn multiple programs and skill sets. Something as long as a 32 level megawad simply would never happen in engines like these.

It is actually ease. You just take one subtractive brush in UnrealEd for a simple room, then a light, a PlayerStart actor and done! Actually since I was a small boy I fiddled in Unreal Tournament and later on in Unreal Ed.
In Quake III GtkRadiant you have to manually make SIX FREAKY BRUSHES to make A SINGLE ROOM. A pain in the ass, but I like to map for these two either.
There is no reason to sue or much less to insult a engine that was made from scratch by the team at Epic Games (featuring Cliff Bleszinski)!

Gustavo6046 said:

It is actually ease. You just take one subtractive brush in UnrealEd for a simple room, then a light, a PlayerStart actor and done! Actually since I was a small boy I fiddled in Unreal Tournament and later on in Unreal Ed.
In Quake III GtkRadiant you have to manually make SIX FREAKY BRUSHES to make A SINGLE ROOM. A pain in the ass, but I like to map for these two either.
There is no reason to sue or much less to insult a engine that was made from scratch by the team at Epic Games (featuring Cliff Bleszinski)!

The newer versions of Radiant (Doom 3 onwards) have the CSG subtract button. You make a brush, click the button, and viola, you've got six brushes composing a simple room.

Caffeine Freak said:

...you've got six brushes composing a simple room.

Really? Six brushes? You sure it's not like Unreal where you get 6 planes? Because if it's not, then it's not CSG... it's just an automated tool for making rooms with brushes.
/just_curious

Nope, it's six brushes. I'm sure because I've been using Radiant for years. The button in question is called CSG Subtract.

In Radiant, there isn't a distinction between additive and subtractive brushwork, like in UnrealEd; it's all additive brushwork that has all the unnecessary sides carved away during BSP.

EDIT: And Gustavo is right. The brush functions like the one I described can be unpredictable in Radiant. You can do some awesome things with brushes and patches in Radiant, but you can also take the more Unreal-esque approach and compose levels of primarily static meshes, using the brushes only as a hull and for occlusion. Works just fine.

jazzmaster9 said:

It doesn't suck.
You're probably just not used to using it.

I am learning quickly. I just really, really don't like it how creating a simple box takes 6 different steps instead of 1. Perhaps this problem can be reduced by making a bunch of prefabs and then copy pasting them, but it's still annoying.

hardcore_gamer said:

I am learning quickly. I just really, really don't like it how creating a simple box takes 6 different steps instead of 1.

Really. I remember the UDK being easier to use. Heh.