Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Favorite wall texture

Favorite doom wall texture?

Mine is the face texture (beginning of Map30). I always found it unsettling.

There are way too many to mention. I really like SP_ROCK1, the white/black rock texture, due to fond memories of E2M9 and E4M6. REDWALL1 (the shiny glowing red wall) is nice and often appears in danger zones in Doom 1. TEKWALLs (exposed wires and electronics) are always great when showing torn-off and maintenance UAC areas (and it also reminds one of Phobos and Doom 3). I really like STONGARG (mossy stone bricks with mascarons), it's very fitting for labyrinths. Flashing fire textures (like in E3M6) are great for depicting hot infernal areas. SHAWN (shiny brushed metal wall) looks cool and high-tech clean. And so on, so on.

Broad list of my favorite textures to use:

Spoiler

BIGBRIK1*
BROWN96
BROWNGRN
COMP*
DOOR3
DOORSTOP
LITE*
METAL
SHAWN2
STARG1
STARGR1
SUPPORT*

If it had to be reduced to 1 texture:
Spoiler

DOORSTOP

This of course doesn't mean that I'd make maps entirely out of DOORSTOPs, just that I like working with it.

I quite like the BSTONE textures, can't choose between them. They have a medieval sort of look to them which I think goes quite well with Doom. I'm also a fan of the marble textures, especially FLOOR7_2.

Memfis said:

You nerds expect me to recognize all these textures just by their names??

I've mentioned this before but there really needs to be some kinda online resource that has image links to all the textures so they can be conveniently linked here. Or even just a single image that has previews of all the textures and their names below then.

mostly SW1GARG and SUPPORT3

kinda find it notable that the aesthetics which are really easy to pull off - brick + metal, textures with horizontal seams wrapping around architecture, bland textures used as materials rather than detail themselves - bear little resemblance to the three main themes we're used to seeing in IWADs and the level sets which pay homage to them. it takes an incredible amount of work to actually make a STAR* techbase look good, and the hell theme mostly gets by on being a firey animated trainwreck in the first place...

40oz said:

I've mentioned this before but there really needs to be some kinda online resource that has image links to all the textures so they can be conveniently linked here. Or even just a single image that has previews of all the textures and their names below then.

It's not that hard for anybody (and takes less than 30 seconds) to open an IWAD in SLADE3 and look up the texture names.

Memfis said:

You nerds expect me to recognize all these textures just by their names??

Either that, or look them up in an editor. When listing my favorite textures, I was also looking at them in an editor.