Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Touching the Void

One of the best adventure movies I've ever seen (and it's a documentary). And while not as epic in scope as Shackleton's survival story, it's the best adventure account I've read or viewed after that one. I stumbled upon it last night on youtube when I was watching random docs on Everest after getting home from seeing Everest in theaters (which was a bit tepid, honestly). But Touching The Void was an awesome (true) story expertly shot and told by Kevin MacDonald and the two mountaineers who survived after they summited a super technical (sheer cliff) in Peru when one of them falls and breaks his leg during their descent of the cliff.

The guy fell into a crevasse with a badly broken leg and some how climbed and crawled his way back to camp four days after his climbing partner understandably left him for dead.

Is this the one where the guy had a song going through his head, and he thought he was going to die to Boney M? That's an excellent documentary. The story is told throughout by the survivor, so you know he survives, but you can't seem to convince your brain of this because the story seems so hopeless at times.

AndrewB said:

Is this the one where the guy had a song going through his head, and he thought he was going to die to Boney M? That's an excellent documentary. The story is told throughout by the survivor, so you know he survives, but you can't seem to convince your brain of this because the story seems so hopeless at times.

Yes!

There's a brown girl in the ring. She looks like a sugar in the plum.

One of the things I really liked about the film is how good of a job it did to really show you how far he had to drag himself and how difficult it was to go several feet and yet... he somehow, against insurmountable odds... did it.

I just watched the whole film again. So good. I may have to read the book.

Figures that you'd like this film, Hellbent!

This is the film that ignited my interest in both documentaries and Kevin Macdonald's directorial work, although for whatever reason I have yet to sit down and watch One Day in September. You would think that'd be at the top of the list! I have, instead, veered off-course into the wonderful, cynical world of Werner Herzog. Completely different slant to this sort of film but I do credit it for getting me going all the same.

Touching the Void is an outstanding documentary. It's dealing with a subject matter that doesn't run the risk of ridicule from biased perspective, and while in that sense it's as safe a bet as you could get in this area (unless you're sitting down to a viewing with a profound dislike for Simon Yates...: Frankly, I find any ridicule of his actions to be stiff, high-equestrian nonsense; his situation was dire and Macdonald gave the scene the due weight and attention it deserved.), it does mean that the film maker is free to commit all of his talent to pulling the viewer into the true story and packing it with as much emotion as possible. It's an immense achievement, really, that a film so dedicated to showing you the hopelessness of the situation could also still encourage you to climb, despite all adversity and danger, and just as the two concerned continued to do. Much the point of the film, as well, being bookended by that theme. I'm sure the brilliant cinematography also endeared me to the idea!

Also, uh, I may have immediately ctrl+f searched for Boney M after clicking the thread link ;)

I've never done mountaineering but I'm hoping to do a little trip up mount Washington this winter. I'm pretty sure some kind of mountaineering gear is required, though. This movie definitely inspires me to get out there.

What in the .... I just clicked on a random link regarding hiking Mt. Washington in winter, and this is how the page starts out:

You can’t sleep. You toss. You turn. Visions of the “world’s worst weather” pummel the sugar plum fairies trying to dance through your head. Bitter cold. Biting winds. Fickly visibility. Winter hiking Mt. Washington—New England’s highest peak at 6,288 feet—is all fun and games with the added disclaimer of avalanche danger.

I can just see it now: trapped beneath 3 meters of snow and the last thing I hear is Boney M ringing through my ears (who I had never heard of before last night).

I just finished reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer which I thought was very good. I thought it mentioned briefly an adventure film by Werner Herzog but I don't remember which one. :-/

I recently saw Everest in theaters and it was really quite disappointing given how good the film could have been. As it was: dumbed down Hollywood affair. I texted to my friend my thoughts on the movie as I was reading through the calamities in Into Thin Air:

The movie was so spineless in its narrative. Everest should have been a dark film. You basically nailed it with your one line summary: movie was pointless.
The will to survive was never on display.
Nothing was on display; it was a tepid, spineless, underwhelming, commercially minded affair. Let's make some entertainment out of this calamity instead of trying to shed some light on what the various characters went through. /sigh

Hellbent said:

it was a tepid, spineless, underwhelming, commercially minded affair.

Mount Everest itself has become a bit like that over the years. K2 on the other hand, now there's a real mountain! Someone should make a film about that.