Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordTrasher

DOOM: Best Game Ever?

The Age (Major Aussie Newspaper) thinks so. Their Entertainment Guide recently placed doom at the top spot in their 50 Best Games Of All Time, ahead of the Quake series, Counterstrike, and Super Metroid (SNES). I'll get a scan in ASAP, and maybe send it in as a DOOMworld POTD.

makes sense, the best fps game ever that always is marked in gaming history book

Doom is the greatest game ever, but not the best.

Liam the Bard said:

I second that.

DOOM: Best Game Ever?

Don't know about dat one....... but DOOM: Da best editable, and most customizable game in all history, would DEFINATELY fit da fuckin bill!

Liam the Bard said:

Put me down as #4 for that drink.

DC

I wouldn't say it's the best game ever... sure it's good but not that good.

The best games ever: (IMO)
Syndicate series. (Bullfrog)
Doom series. (ID)
Heretic series (Raven)
Cannon Fodder series (Sensible)
System Shock series (Looking Glass)
Myst series (Cyan/Presto)
Big Red Racing (Big Red)
Rollcage series (Attention To Detail)

Well, I think that rounds it up for me.
There's no best game. Cause everything can be added to. But these games are the ones for me, that are the best there is available.

Liam the Bard said:

Well, it is the greatest AND best imho.

I agree with you on Syndicate, Doom and Heretic - not sure about Cannon Fodder tho. I would have thought that the Westwood C&C-esque games should have made it up there... 'Dune 2 - Battle for Arrakis' was the first game to use/popularise the genre.

The X-Wing games (Xwing, TIEfighter, Vs, and Alliance) should be up there too, but that's just my preference :)

The best games imo:
1. Doom
2. Hexen
3. Wolfenstein 3d
4. Command & Conquer (Tiberian Dawn)

i wouldn't go as far as saying that it's the best game, but it's definetely one of the most influential (along with dune 2)...

Da_Esco said:

Don't know about dat one....... but DOOM: Da best editable, and most customizable game in all history, would DEFINATELY fit da fuckin bill!

Maybe you're thinking of Halflife

Does the "Syndicate series" include a game called "Syndicate Plus"? I got that game as a $10 gift about 7 years ago and I've never played it. Am I missing out on something?

Spike said:

The X-Wing games (Xwing, TIEfighter, Vs, and Alliance) should be up there too, but that's just my preference :)

YES! Especially Tie Fighter. That game is so totally awesome :)

-Doom/Heretic/Hexen
-EarthBound
-Unreal/UT
-NoX

Those be my games yo. Word.

Zaldron said:

MWHAHAHAHAHhAHA

Uuhm nevermind.

It's better than Diablo and you know it.

I wasn't pimping Diablo as best RPG either. Frankly I can't tell which RPG gets the prize. P&P RPGs spoiled me...

BTW, did you know a friend of a friend coded the particle system used in NoX's mouse? Pretty freaky but I saw the code. Apparently he showed his stuff to several development houses until NoX's bought it.

kristus said:

Big Red Racing (Big Red)

Yes, yes and YES!

Any id FPS, any Westwood RTS, and The Build engine games. There are plenty others, but they are the best in my opinion.

LordTrasher said:

The Age (Major Aussie Newspaper) thinks so. Their Entertainment Guide recently placed doom at the top spot in their 50 Best Games Of All Time, ahead of the Quake series, Counterstrike, and Super Metroid (SNES). I'll get a scan in ASAP, and maybe send it in as a DOOMworld POTD.

What date was this from? Then I can check it out at the library.

Zaldron said:

I wasn't pimping Diablo as best RPG either. Frankly I can't tell which RPG gets the prize. P&P RPGs spoiled me...

Well it's still better than Diablo ^_^

Oh and Diablo isn't really an RPG anyway, neither is NoX. They're both just overhead gauntlet-esque action with rpg elements tossed in to make it interesting.

BTW, did you know a friend of a friend coded the particle system used in NoX's mouse? Pretty freaky but I saw the code. Apparently he showed his stuff to several development houses until NoX's bought it.

Heh whoa, swank.

Actually I haven't played NoX in a while. I used to play an unhealthy amount on Westwood online but for some reason I've had to uninstall it and Westwood's Supar-Gay patches have made every attempt to reinstall the game and get back online a disaster. I'll get around to it eventually though...

Well NoX came out when I was working on my own RPG so I was like "GRRR COMPETITION" but anyway. The only real kick I got from the game was using a warrior and charging against wizards. There's something insanely cool about colliding against a magician so fast their entire inventory gets ripped off from their bodies.

I never cared for the Warrior. I always found the Conjurer's Force of Nature a much more satisfying way to euthanize my opponents =)

Liam the Bard said:

Oh and Diablo isn't really an RPG anyway, neither is NoX. They're both just overhead gauntlet-esque action with rpg elements tossed in to make it interesting.

Not even console RPGs are really Role-Playing Games. I mean, pretty much you're just watching a story, then doing all the dirty work for the characters. Theres no real decision-making or deciding how your character is going to turn out. Its all pre-programmed.

The only real RPGs I've played are those D&D ones made by Black Isle...especialy Planescape: Torment. Also there are some oddball little text-based ones like this game Legend of the Red Dragon that I've been playing for the last couple months over Telnet.

While I have nothing against the computer RPG genre I don't think that it is real role-playing.

Real roleplaying games are about the interaction between people in a made uo world. This means that every participant must be sentient.

In computer RPG's the one who responds to you is not sentient. Therefore the interaction is too limited.

Yeah, i'm one of those persons that would actually play a freeform diceless scenario or a non-contact LARP. I even played a game where we were playing a bunch of drunk teenagers in a cabin.