Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordTrasher

DOOM: Best Game Ever?

Doom is certainly not the best game ever but it is one of the funnest and easiest to change. Doom made a genre famous so it is definitly a trendsetter.

Liam the Bard said:

-EarthBound

/Me barfs.

I would say that doom is the best first person shooter. But there's no such thing as "best game".

Best game? When it came out, it was probably the BEST game ever. It had all new features in it. A definate trend setter and it shows. However, I'm not SURE if I'd call more complex games better GAMES, but they do have better gameplay elements. Uh, I hope that was clear. What I mean is that games today are better "games." If a game with QIII's (just an example) gameplay featuers were released in 1993, with Doom's engine (for instance) it would be a much better game than Doom. So games are better than Doom today, in my opinion because they have more options and you can play in a lot of different ways. And no, I'm not including all the editing you can do with Doom. We're just talking the bare software.

HOWEVER

Doom, as of now is so classic that it HAS to be the greatest computer game ever. Its influence and immediate appeal just causes it to be classic beyond what its technology and gameplay elements suggest.

Good topic.

Assmaster said:

-EarthBound

/Me barfs.

Ahh you're just nutty. EarthBound is like the coolest game ever.

Liam the Bard said:

/Me barfs.

Ahh you're just nutty. EarthBound is like the coolest game ever.
[/quote]I dunno, it just didnt work for me. It had it's moments though (the enemy names were pretty funny).

darky said:

Best game? When it came out, it was probably the BEST game ever. It had all new features in it. A definate trend setter and it shows. However, I'm not SURE if I'd call more complex games better GAMES, but they do have better gameplay elements. Uh, I hope that was clear. What I mean is that games today are better "games." If a game with QIII's (just an example) gameplay featuers were released in 1993, with Doom's engine (for instance) it would be a much better game than Doom. So games are better than Doom today, in my opinion because they have more options and you can play in a lot of different ways. And no, I'm not including all the editing you can do with Doom. We're just talking the bare software.

HOWEVER

Doom, as of now is so classic that it HAS to be the greatest computer game ever. Its influence and immediate appeal just causes it to be classic beyond what its technology and gameplay elements suggest.

Good topic.

These are the reasons why I call Doom "The Best Game Ever" - it was so superior to all other games in every single little aspect for its time. This is why I can't help but laugh when some people say that Heretic is the best game ever, because it was just Doom in disguise - no new engine with overly superior features, only few new gameplay mechanics.
Nothing has ever come close to it since (I even doubt anything has ever come close BEFORE it).

dsm said:

because it was just Doom in disguise - no new engine with overly superior features, only few new gameplay mechanics.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Why do people think Heretic was just Doom in medieval clothing? Because the weapon behavior was familiar? Pfft, Raven doesn't get nearly the credit they deserve for what they did with Heretic.

Sure, the engine features Raven added in may not look impressive when you come back to Heretic almost ten years after Doom. However, you have to remember that those 'nagging, unimpressive little features' added to Heretic by Raven had never been that way done before, and now they're a standard in singleplayer FPS games. Sure Doom was technologically revolutionary, sure it made the genre famous, but Heretic is what innovated FPS gameplay. NOT Doom.

While you're at it, look at the Heretic maps. Good, aren't they? Way better than the shit in Doom and Doom 2 by far and yet released in the same timeframe. Hmm. Still pissed the the Dragon Claw is just the chaingun in disguise, or that the Phoenix rod irkingly similar to the Rocket Launcher? What about the entire new set of weapon behaviors added to the game by the tome of power? What about multiplayer? Have you ever played Heretic deathmatch? Do you know how technical and balanced it is, even with the slew of new powerups and weapons tossed into the mix? Can you imagine how much effort must've went into the game to achieve that?

Calling Heretic a shameless doom clone just because it's an engine liscensee is fucking retarded.

Liam the Bard said:

WRONG WRONG WRONG[/b]

Calling Heretic a shameless doom clone just because it's an engine liscensee is fucking retarded.

Preach on, sister. And do something with that Goddamn signature, no one on AOL could come to that grand conclusion you taintwafer.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

What date was this from? Then I can check it out at the library.

It was last Friday (maybe Thursday, I dunno), in one of the little liftout thingies.

Liam the Bard said:

Sure, the engine features Raven added in may not look impressive when you come back to Heretic almost ten years after Doom. However, you have to remember that those 'nagging, unimpressive little features' added to Heretic by Raven had never been that way done before, and now they're a standard in singleplayer FPS games. Sure Doom was technologically revolutionary, sure it made the genre famous, but Heretic is what innovated FPS gameplay. NOT Doom.

While you're at it, look at the Heretic maps. Good, aren't they? Way better than the shit in Doom and Doom 2 by far and yet released in the same timeframe. Hmm. Still pissed the the Dragon Claw is just the chaingun in disguise, or that the Phoenix rod irkingly similar to the Rocket Launcher? What about the entire new set of weapon behaviors added to the game by the tome of power? What about multiplayer? Have you ever played Heretic deathmatch? Do you know how technical and balanced it is, even with the slew of new powerups and weapons tossed into the mix? Can you imagine how much effort must've went into the game to achieve that?

Pfft, I tried the Heretic shareware about two years after Doom 1's release - I was NOT excited. I admit that the inventory system was good and that the ToP was a grand idea, but just about the rest of the game was inferior in feel to Doom - no scare factor, no imho cool-sounding weapons (ex. Shotgun with it's beautiful *boom**chuck-chack*). And while I like gothic settings (unlike some other people), I missed some of the cooler medieval weapons like axes, swords etc.
The maps? Good? Hm, dunno about that - they didn't seem so believable as those in Doom E1, but maybe that's because I only tried the shareware (and NO, I'm not going to get the full version - I would if the shareware version had entertained me).

It's all about my personal preference. And no, I did NOT call Heretic a "Shameless Doom clone", neither did I intend to insinuate anything such (there are too many Heretic fans on these forums for that) - I merely stated MY reasons for why it did not appeal to me, and my reasons for not being so interested in Heretic is that I FIND that its weaponry is just Doom's weapons in disguise (and lame versions too), and that it's gameplay is not too different than Doom's.

I am another person who likes Heretic way way more than Doom. I mean, sure Doom had it's feel, but Heretic was way better. Spose you have to be me to know what I mean, but hey. Read Liam's post and that is pretty much how I feel about it.

That and I love the Morph Ovum...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Da_Esco said:

Don't know about dat one....... but DOOM: Da best editable, and most customizable game in all history, would DEFINATELY fit da fuckin bill!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raplhis said:

Maybe you're thinking of Halflife.

I say:

I'm sick of Half-Life and all its |-|/-\<|<3R typing fanboys.