Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Most hated level in Doom1+2

The only thing wrong with E1M9 is that while it looks E1-ish, it just feels thrown together, kinda half-assed, if you will.
It just didn't "play" like the other E1 levels.

dsm:

The courtyard, however, is a map I always try to complete as quickly as possible whenever I play through Doom 2

lil`Faith

Mainly because the Courtyard sucks.

The Courtyard (IMHO) may not be so great for a SinglePlayerGame but it is however a very good level for DeathMatching.
The worst level I can come up with is the Chasm: it`s ugly and very frustrating.
cph:

The Chasm. God I hate those thin walkways, and that deathtrap acid room before the exit. Damn them! Argh!

you tell`em bro!

I don`t really hate it though, I can`t imaging hating anything about Doom(II). All levels have their pros and cons...

Yeah the acid trap room is daft and those thin walkways are annoying but i still like the level.

It has mood. That great murky cave contrasting delightfully to those bright tech areas carved into the rock. That excellent feeling of grandness and space.

Yeah, the Chasm sucks bigtime too, but for some odd reason I don't hate it.

Ahem..

Maps tha make me Ill.

Doom:
E2M9
E4M6

Doom2:
MAP09
MAP10
MAP15
MAP16

Unlike some of you, I liked the courtyard.
Come to think of it, the Citadel gave me a headache, It was irritating to no end.

Heh, something appeals for everyone it seems. Is there any level in doom(2) everyone hates?

Little Faith said:

Maybe map30. I haven't heard much praise about that level.

I just played map30 again - God I hate that level, I have decided to put it on the top of my list of hated levels.
Fuck, if as much as *one* single Archvile is spawned, you're pretty much in trouble - also, PE's make it next to impossible to blast that damn Baphomet if you allow them to live.

dsm said:

I kinda figured you'd pick e2m2 as your "hated" level, since it provokes that odd feeling you've mentioned in another thread.

No. E2M2 is scary in the good way. You want to get scared. Good spooky music, light variations, unobstrusive design, adequate pallete and a sense of accomplishment as you progress.

E3M2, on the other way, is scary in the annoying way. There's no place to garrison yourself, the texture set makes you go crazy, the monsters get alerted but are incapable of finding you, hence they go hsssss! continually. The lighting is as unrealistic as it gets, confusing the eye, and all the little "indoor" zones are remarkably idiotic. It's all one big crazy-assed room so you never feel like you're advancing since you never leave "dead rooms" behind you.

Zaldron said:

No. E2M2 is scary in the good way. You want to get scared. Good spooky music, light variations, unobstrusive design, adequate pallete and a sense of accomplishment as you progress.

E3M2, on the other way, is scary in the annoying way. There's no place to garrison yourself, the texture set makes you go crazy, the monsters get alerted but are incapable of finding you, hence they go hsssss! continually. The lighting is as unrealistic as it gets, confusing the eye, and all the little "indoor" zones are remarkably idiotic. It's all one big crazy-assed room so you never feel like you're advancing since you never leave "dead rooms" behind you.

Aw crap, I made an error. Sorry, I meant E3M2. I agree with you that E2M2 is a good map (it's actually my fav map!) - I only miss a few former humans to spice up on all those imps.

Well, I'm not so sensitive about E3M2 (did I get it right this time? *doublechecks* Yeah, I guess I got it right), although I will adimit that it's not a level I play much, probably because of many of the reasons you mentioned.

Zaldron said:

Yep, that's what I like it for.

There's nothing at all wrong with E2M7... it's more to do with people's hatred of harmful floor-based maps that involve calculated dashes across lava and blood, or being careful where you step...

I can't stand E3M2, Slough of Despair, I guess that narrowly takes it. That was a perverse level.

Doom2: probably Map30, yeah. It's more down to luck that talent, I don't like that in an ending, though it is realistic I guess. Why would Baphomet want you to fry his ass?

In conclusion - lava and slime sucks, narrow ledges suck, ugly big rooms suck, gay bosses suck and certain people have no clue what doom is all about.

Lament said:

In conclusion - lava and slime sucks, narrow ledges suck, ugly big rooms suck, gay bosses suck and certain people have no clue what doom is all about.

IMO Doom's about tainted human installations, not vomitive crack-induced Hell levels.

LeaverAndrew babbled:
The DOOM 1 map i Hate is: e2m7 Spawning Vats

i kinda liked that level.

LeaverAndrew also stated:
The DOOM 2 map i Hate is: map 23 Barrels O' Fun

WTF!? I LOVED THAT LEVEL! all those exploding barrels, its fun to blow stuff up with barrels.

anyways:

levels i hate:
e1m8
e1m7(confusing)
e2m6(VERY confusing)
e2m9(ridiculous)
most of episode 4
map15
map17
map19(could never find a way to get the blue key, and the yellow key is blocked off)
map24
map26
map29
map30

Funny, i loved 'Thy Flesh Consumed'. id pulled their fingers out of their asses and came up with some nice architecture in these maps. Plus, you get the marine & bunny end pic! Wakka!

footman said:

e1m7(confusing)
map17
map26
map29

eh, if you dont like those... do you like ANY maps of udoom/doom2?

Hmmm...Barrels Of Fun is a great level. That reminds me of this morning. My friends and I were sitting in the caffeteria for the Senior Breakfast and somehow the conversation turned to Doom (which is odd because none of my friends play it and I wasn't saying anything.

Anyway, my friends said "Hey, this kinda reminds me of Barrels of Fun with all these people standing around the room waiting in line."
I looked around, seening the people lined up in a 'U' shape around half the caffeteria.
"Yeah," I said, "it does..."

Maybe you just had to be there...

Spike said:

Plus, you get the marine & bunny end pic! Wakka!

If only the marine didn't look like he was a green chaingunner on that pic. He almost looks like he's fat!
Nah, E4 never interested me much.
I kinda find the beginning annoying (it's the only hard part of E4) - maybe it's because I suck.

Of course Doomguy's a tubby bitch. How else can he take that many shots if he didn't have plenty of flab protecting his vital organs?

Zaldron said:

IMO Doom's about tainted human installations, not vomitive crack-induced Hell levels.

The story takes you to Hell and back. Of course there's gonna be some Hell levels thrown into the mix...

Doom has tremendous range. The vague textures can be manipulated to be made to look like just about anything.

Whether it's successfully done is another issue but there's no doubt it's a clever method and one that's helped to prolong Doom's life.