Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

New Deep97

SB Software has released a new version of their Doom-engine level editor Deep97, bringing it up to version 9.79c. New in this release:

1. Added raw flag edit box to Things and LineDefs. If you enter a value in this box, it overrides any other changes! This change makes it possible to key in any future flag changes.
  2. Added some more types to OPT file (Sound, ALLkeys, ANYkey) to improve error checking flexibility.
  3. Polyobject onscreen numbered display mask setting is now saved. Use the K mask command to set.
  4. ZDOOM opt file has additional either key or skull LineDef types added.
  5. ZDOOM opt file has additional properties set for the error checker. 6. New graphical display of Things in any Editing mode except Things. Q command toggles with 3 different display types. (Finally copied from DOS version - forgot about it).

Hmm.. Why can't we have more new, neat, convinient features? There are some very basic things that would make things a whole lot easier. I mean, something as basic as raising selected sector(s) floor/ceiling height by X amount. You wouldn't believe what a pain it is copying a bunch of sectors from one part of the map to another part with a different elevation, then doing a whole bunch of calculating in your head, then changing the floor/ceiling heights for each sector one at a time. And this is just one example! Hmm.. I guess all these new versions are meant for better compatibility, not productivity or efficiency. I guess they're just going to have to make me pay for the upgrade, that is if there is some decent new features... :-b

Guest Daggah

...'cause paying for a DOOM editor SUCKS! Hell, even modern-game editors usually are free...

Guest Anonymous User

If they'd stop worrying about adding more useless bullshit and worry about how useless most of the features they already have are, then perhaps they'd release the editor so creating a level is much more productive and efficient as Andy has said.

Guest Anonymous User

I don't know about the rest of you, but that's a useful feature in the present state of the DOOM community.

Maybe raw flags is a nice feature, but it's just not enough. I'm pretty sure their plan is to save all the good features for version 9.80, when we have to pay for it all. I've mailed several lists of suggestions which would make level editing a whole lot easier, but I never seem to get a reply. As I said, a feature that would lower and raise the floor and ceiling heights by X amount would have saved me a whole lot of work yesterday. What I say is, I hope I don't have to wait another 6 months to hear about an upgrade coming in the next two weeks, then waiting another 5 months for it to come out. Seriously, I don't know what goes on around there all that time..

Guest Mad Cow Disease

I wants me a free Deep97.

Umm? AndrewB has written us many times and we've replied to him about as many - explaining how what he asks for is ALREADY in DeeP97 and to please read the documentation (especially the shortcut key summary). For a good example, the "basic" raising of sector(s) floor/celing heights is readily done with the HOT keys of shift+page UP/DOWN and shift+HOME/END. Where a feature is not impossible to implement, we do it. For example, the HOT flag buttons on the bottom do NOT set all the other flags (done with a slight risk that some may not read how it works) was asked for by AndrewB. Other feature requests just take more time to code. For most experienced users, better compatibility results in more productivity and efficiency. We suggest to print the shortcut keys out for quick reference and experiment to see which ones are the most productive. Even we can't remember all of them - since many were implemented from requests & suggestions:)

Guest Stealth

Why would anyone make someone pay $$ for a DOOM editor? I mean, DOOM is a bit in the past. But I still like DOOM. I even play Wolfenstein every once in a while. But you would think by now there would be some insane editor out there with more hours put into it than Windows 98. Doom has been out for about 7 years now. DOOM is simple. It is 2-dimensional, it uses sprites... tc. It's not like we're dealing with curved surface and CSG manipulation here. What I'm saying is there should be some huge open-source editor which can do everything but cook you breakfast. There are many wad tools out there, many level editors, graphics, everything you need. And for many of them the source is available. Here's an idea for the Deep Devs, add a feature for user defined bindings. I have not used Deep much, maybe this already exists. And If I remember correctly, one of the 3d previews also rendered objects behind the viewpoint. So if you went too far into the level you would get garble everywhere. But I liked the 3d preview It is the first one I've seen functioning. How about adding the original doom physics to it, so designers can create those hard to reach places more easily. Maybe texturemap it. Just out of curiousity, how many people have actually bought Deep?

Guest Daggah

I dunno (how many people bought DeeP), but every single one of 'em are stupid for paying for a level editor...good or not.

At one point Mike said there were about 3,000 or so people who registered it. Hmm, not too shabby!... Oh yeah, I actually never did get reply except to the first list of suggestions I sent. Most of the ones in that one were silly, however.. I guess they got lost in the mail..

Believe it or not, Quake editors have it easier! They don't have to worry about "sector" references - planes just interect. Our DOOM->Quake converter created "brushes" from linedefs, with sectors adding the 3rd dimension. Most "requests" ask for features that have been in DeeP since the DOS days. For example, to rotate -anything- press the <> keys. The list of shortcut keys is a quick way to learn and experiment with ways to make editing easier. Suggestions are always under consideration - depends on overall interest time & money. P.S.: Doom is 3D with "limitations":)

Guest Elviele

I like the demo tutorial!they should make a full tutorial for Deep97 exactly like that!!