Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

A problem with zserver...

I'm having a real problem with starting a server for zdaemon... I can start the server just fine, however whenever a player tries to shoot, it crashes the server. I'm running Win2kPro if that has any bearing on it.

I've tried setting the heap size larger from 4 megs to 16 megs, but no luck. I've taken away free look and jump, but that doesn't work either. I am trying to run Dwango5.wad but it crashes regardless.

Could somebody give me a quick rundown of what I should be looking for?

BTW, it's really cool to see that people are still playing doom :D

Disable particle effects for bullet puffs and blood splats on both client & server and that will fix the problem.

Yeah, exactly the same problem I had a few months ago - that's why I started using this server. Add the following two lines to the zserver.cfg file:
set cl_bloodtype "0"
set cl_pufftype "0"

That should fix it.

Thanks you guys... server works perfectly...

I've got a DM and a COOP server up and running... They're both test servers but they've been getting quite a bit of traffic...

No problem :)

Which servers are yours and which wads are you using?

they're both called Tarkus' test server.
the DM one is running dwango5 and the coop one is running plain vanilla doom2.

Ok... another few questions...

When there's alot of monsters on a coop server, I get a great deal of lag... is there any way to remedy this?

Is there some sort of batch file or program I can use to restart the server automatically when it crashes?

Are there any full 30 level co-op WADs out there that'd be good on a co-op server?

help is appreciated BTW :D

1. Lag with lots of monsters...probably not a way to improve it, other than not allow any client too high a rate. In the zserver.cfg, this is the lowest setting you'd want, I think: set max_rate "2500"

2. Not as far as I know. I start servers by batch file, but don't have a way to restart which won't restart the server every time I try to quit.

3. Others should answer about 30-map coop wads. I've heard of the Memento Mori series...also, eternal.wad could be good.

Tarkus said:

When there's alot of monsters on a coop server, I get a great deal of lag... is there any way to remedy this?

Get a better connection, the most ideal connection, of course, is T1, like Nightowl's or Lyfe's condition, I think; or the best way basically is to limit the amount of clients maximum at 4.

Are there any full 30 level co-op WADs out there that'd be good on a co-op server?

I've known some of the megawads, all new 32 levels actually, that are really awesome for c0-0ping...

Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed II (Still working in process, beta is out though)
Alien Vendetta

Click here for more selections

Well, I have a T1... the lag is even visible on my end on the local computer. I've watched how much bandwith it sucks up, it doesn't even go above 32k a second, I can handle far more. And about limiting players to 4, I have no choice but to do that, there are only 4 start points :D. Those wads look promising... looks like I may have some more co-op action ahead of me.

BTW, thanks for correcting me on my sig, heh, I've typed it so many times over the years, I've stopped paying attention.

[edit] is it just me or is ftp.cdrom.com continously changing it's arrangement... I can't even find an idgames directory anymore.

lol, I thought the general failure joke was funny.

Last time I went to ftp.cdrom.com it didn't work at all - it made my IE crash.

I dunno about 30 map wads but I liked the coop wad, Dark7, that was in the Doomworld news yesterday. It's only got 7 maps. The most common played coop wads (apart from plain IWADs) seemed to be Memento Mori and MM2 a few months ago, but now they seem to have gone - I suppose they got boring.