Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Guest Ranko

Yes, anyone can place 15 barons of hell in one room... But you won't get a whole level if you make a room with 15 barons of hell in it, a super-shotgun, and an exit... A perfect doom level must have 4-5 really hard rooms with tons of monsters, like the rooms in the "tricks and traps" level from doom2... Did you ever try to go into the room with the red key (the one with the imps), but without taking that invulnerability? Or the room with the yellow key, with a cyber-demon and the barons of hell... Or try killing all the arachnotrons on the 12th level with the super-shotgun... Or try the 13th level (downtown) without taking the invulnerability... Try all that on the Ultra-violence skill level, and you'll know what i'm talking about... by the way, the anonymus user from Sunday Jan 09 08:25:03 2000 is right, d2k should be named 'switch hunt'

Guest Ranko

Yes, anyone can place 15 barons of hell in one room... But you won't get a whole level if you make a room with 15 barons of hell in it, a super-shotgun, and an exit... A perfect doom level must have 4-5 really hard rooms with tons of monsters, like the rooms in the "tricks and traps" level from doom2... Did you ever try to go into the room with the red key (the one with the imps), but without taking that invulnerability? Or the room with the yellow key, with a cyber-demon and the barons of hell... Or try killing all the arachnotrons on the 12th level with the super-shotgun... Or try the 13th level (downtown) without taking the invulnerability... Try all that on the Ultra-violence skill level, and you'll know what i'm talking about... by the way, the anonymus user from Sunday Jan 09 08:25:03 2000 is right, d2k should be named 'switch hunt'

I don't think the DOOM community needs yet another clone of the original DOOM game--there's plenty of that out there. If you want to think a bit, then you'll find Doom2000 to be interesting. The goal was to do something different, not to do something everyone will like equally.

Now, as to the monster placement, I will apologize right now for part of that--there just wasn't time for a lot of testing and there are parts of it that flow better than others. But still, anyone who wants Hell Revealed should go play it. That's not what this is about.

As to the game itself, if you get the "runaway script" error on MAP04, then you'll have to clip through the door on MAP05. That's the script that knows when you've killed the HK in MAP04 and unlocks things on MAP05, so it never executes. Don't know exactly why that "runs away" but it's been done differently for the current (internal) build so it won't matter for the final release.

I don't think the DOOM community needs yet another clone of the original DOOM game--there's plenty of that out there. If you want to think a bit, then you'll find Doom2000 to be interesting. The goal was to do something different, not to do something everyone will like equally.

Now, as to the monster placement, I will apologize right now for part of that--there just wasn't time for a lot of testing and there are parts of it that flow better than others. But still, anyone who wants Hell Revealed should go play it. That's not what this is about.

As to the game itself, if you get the "runaway script" error on MAP04, then you'll have to clip through the door on MAP05. That's the script that knows when you've killed the HK in MAP04 and unlocks things on MAP05, so it never executes. Don't know exactly why that "runs away" but it's been done differently for the current (internal) build so it won't matter for the final release.

Guest Tiki

I agree with Ranko, D2k should be more like the original DooM and less like a friggin strategy game. You want strategy play half-life (which is a good game). Although I liked the first few seconds when you step out into the overgrown room with vines hanging all over it.

Guest Tiki

I agree with Ranko, D2k should be more like the original DooM and less like a friggin strategy game. You want strategy play half-life (which is a good game). Although I liked the first few seconds when you step out into the overgrown room with vines hanging all over it.

Guest HavoC

Instead of a mindless killing its more of a thinking game. Not that there's anything wrong w/ mindless killings, but Doom2000 for me is more like Hexen (well it should be with scripts) and it's more fullfilling after you have beaten it. Didn't we all find the end of Hexen better than the end of Doom2? No? Well then you're strange. Doom2000 has the great weapons of Doom2 with the challenge of Hexen so it gets an 'ok' in my book. It'd get a 'great' if I could actually get some good frame rates in that reactor level (other than facing the wall). For all those who want a REAL switch hunt, try TNT's Eternal lvl 12.

Guest HavoC

Instead of a mindless killing its more of a thinking game. Not that there's anything wrong w/ mindless killings, but Doom2000 for me is more like Hexen (well it should be with scripts) and it's more fullfilling after you have beaten it. Didn't we all find the end of Hexen better than the end of Doom2? No? Well then you're strange. Doom2000 has the great weapons of Doom2 with the challenge of Hexen so it gets an 'ok' in my book. It'd get a 'great' if I could actually get some good frame rates in that reactor level (other than facing the wall). For all those who want a REAL switch hunt, try TNT's Eternal lvl 12.

Guest Karlo

I haven´t downloaded it yet, but i have heard that it is good. I do agree with Ranko that too much puzzles isn´t that good, but there must be some or the game would just be like some other WAD (only with better design of course), but i don´t think it should lack monsters just because of that.

BTW, sorry if i haven´t been posting for a while, it´s hard keeping up doth with Doomworld and alt.games.doom...;-)

Guest Karlo

I haven´t downloaded it yet, but i have heard that it is good. I do agree with Ranko that too much puzzles isn´t that good, but there must be some or the game would just be like some other WAD (only with better design of course), but i don´t think it should lack monsters just because of that.

BTW, sorry if i haven´t been posting for a while, it´s hard keeping up doth with Doomworld and alt.games.doom...;-)

Regarding the monster placement. I dislike the fact that monsters seem to constantly appear out of nowhere from behind you. Where are they supposed to be coming from?? Also, I only just realised that in level one the ship crushes those monsters. Now that I know what it is meant to be it is quite well done :-) Doom 2000 is not what I expect out of Doom. I prefer to shoot and then ask questions. Although, now that everyone has had a good say on what they'd like changed, the final product should hopefully me a mix of action and puzzle/strategy.

Regarding the monster placement. I dislike the fact that monsters seem to constantly appear out of nowhere from behind you. Where are they supposed to be coming from?? Also, I only just realised that in level one the ship crushes those monsters. Now that I know what it is meant to be it is quite well done :-) Doom 2000 is not what I expect out of Doom. I prefer to shoot and then ask questions. Although, now that everyone has had a good say on what they'd like changed, the final product should hopefully me a mix of action and puzzle/strategy.

Guest DCLXVI 29A

Doom 2000 I thought would incorporate more engine changes and the use of MD2's like with GLDooM... the odd sprites are rather dry and over used I mean it is great to have functions like mlook and such but if the characters aren't in perspective it is pointless other than aim. However, the levels are good TnT does very good levels

Guest DCLXVI 29A

Doom 2000 I thought would incorporate more engine changes and the use of MD2's like with GLDooM... the odd sprites are rather dry and over used I mean it is great to have functions like mlook and such but if the characters aren't in perspective it is pointless other than aim. However, the levels are good TnT does very good levels

Guest Anonymous User

Hey, I downloaded version 1.17c of zdoom to play with doom2000 but I still get the runaway script 23 error on map 5 which prevents you from using the red key. The bug must be with the new hub, not with zdoom.

Guest Anonymous User

Hey, I downloaded version 1.17c of zdoom to play with doom2000 but I still get the runaway script 23 error on map 5 which prevents you from using the red key. The bug must be with the new hub, not with zdoom.