Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Would?

I got to thinking about it, and I was wondering about those of you (including myself) that believe in God, and have "got religion":
Would you be willing to die for your religion, like some of the saints of the olden days? Would you do it willingly?

Even though i don't believe in the Christian god or any other god, i would die for my religion any day ... as long as it is not for something stupid

IMJack said:

Hell no. Gimme something worth dying for.

Heh, like eternal life in paradise (or something to that extent)?

Christians got a much better deal. Thanks to the enlightenment of the Apostle Paul, Christians are "saved" by grace. I.E. they do not have to do anything to go to heaven, except to accept the Lord.

Now read the Quran and compare all the things a Muslim must do to go to heaven vs Christians.

One of the worst deals are for the Jews, they sort of got the short end of the stick. They been around the longest and still have to wait for the Messiah.

LOL, good one Fodder. I'd die for a person, but not a religeon. I think it's stupid to die for someone elses idea. Maybe if I started my own religeon....

Lüt said:

Heh, like eternal life in paradise (or something to that extent)?

I honestly don't give a shit about what happens to me after I die, so long as my death was worth it to the people I left behind in the world of the living.

An example would be the professional soldier who stays alive and does his job to the extent that no other soldiers need do or see the things he does. He would gladly go to Hell with the knowledge he spared someone, somewhere, of the hell on earth that is war.

Hmm, I wouldn't die for what religion I have. Now, I'd die if it would mean the end of the current Moslem vs "almost-every-other-religion" conflict that seems to be going on - would that be a religion I'd die for in that case?

DooMBoy said:

mewse is not a religion, you frad. :p

Take your blasphemy elsewhere, heretic! Repent! Repent!

DooMBoy said:

mewse is not a religion, you frad. :p

When I first read this article of blasphamy, I was shocked, and saddened. Then, it occured to me that this attitude is not intended to be malicious, it is just ignorance. The reason people can hold this position is simply that they have not been enlightened by the ways of mewse. I must encourage my followers, that when they encounter a negative attitude, they must not become angry, or attempt to spite the lost sheep. They must attempt to spread the mewse, and bring the unbeliever into the light. Only when every person on the earth has been enlightened, shall our work be done. Now go forth, and spread the word.

mewse said:

When I first read this article of blasphamy, I was shocked, and saddened. Then, it occured to me that this attitude is not intended to be malicious, it is just ignorance. The reason people can hold this position is simply that they have not been enlightened by the ways of mewse. I must encourage my followers, that when they encounter a negative attitude, they must not become angry, or attempt to spite the lost sheep. They must attempt to spread the mewse, and bring the unbeliever into the light. Only when every person on the earth has been enlightened, shall our work be done. Now go forth, and spread the word.

He's right! Thank you, oh wise one!

Rellik said:

LOL, good one Fodder. I'd die for a person, but not a religeon. I think it's stupid to die for someone elses idea. Maybe if I started my own religeon....

I totally agree with that! I would willing die for my husband and my daughter but not for something which, when compared to love of friend and family, is insignificant!

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi:
"A lot of things are worth dying for, but nothing is worth fighting for."

Well, I'd die for what I believe in, which is how I feel and not what anyone else tells me. I figure I just have to die for a just cause. I don't know what happens after I die. I guess I'll just have to find out when I get there.

If you consider the ideas rolling around in my head a religion, then yes...I would die for my religion.

In the immortal words of Ben Franklin:
"Fear not death; for the sooner we leave this Earth, the longer we're in Paradise."

What was that poem from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault...?

"To the gatekeeper he will tell:
Another soldier reporting, sir.
I've served my time in Hell." Something like that.

DooMBoy said:
Would you be willing to die for your religion, like some of the saints of the olden days?

Agnostic extremists - "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts!"

(No, in other words, not that the question applies to me.)

Little Faith said:

Would you be willing to die for other people than your nearest?

quite simply, no! they wouldn't die for me and why should they?