Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Q3A Doom Marine Wallpaper

SailorScout sent word of a cool new wallpaper which shows the Quake 3 rendition of the Doom marine attempting to outrun a gigantic fireball. If you don't feel like downloading the ZIP, you can preview the image here.

Guest Daggah

This would be cool if it didn't have Quake 3: Arena in the upper-right hand corner...

An ad for Quake 3 in my computer room? I'd be ashamed to have that as a desktop wallpaper. Besides, it would devour my system resources.

Guest Anonymous User

yea man, take off the damn logo so it would cooler.

Guest Anonymous User

Hey, those posting were only 10 seconds apart. That comes mighty close to the 7 second record of mine on the DN forums.

That fourth post there was actually mine (AndrewB), I guess I messed up my password or something..

Guest Anonymous User

I like this one, but it'd be better if it meant a new DOOM, and not the boring Quake. Doom for EVER!

Guest Anonymous User

I'm with that other anonymous user. DOOM 4 EVER!!!!! QUAKE IS AN OFFSPRING OF DOOM AND SUCKS LIKE SHIT!!!!!!! -Laters. Eugene E. Sloupsky...

Guest Stealthy

id software is dead.... this would be cool if they remade doom to look like quake 3.... But they ran out of ideas after doom2, quake 1-3 are a piss poor example how doom could be! Quake is just a game to show off how 3d they can make there shit, it has a play value that makes me want to vomit chunks of shit Doom 4 life........

Guest kchen

Putting in the marine was actually a smart move by id to try to sucker in Doom fans into getting Q3. But they forgot that Doom isn't just about the marine. WHERE ARE HIS BUTT-NAKED DEMON BUDDIES???

Guest Zeku

This is probably common knowledge, but I just wanted to know if anyone shared my views. I see the inferiorities of Quake compared to Doom, in order of significance, being: 1. The fact that explosives do half damage to the firer. The argument is that it allows rocket jumping, but this was never part of Quake1's design. The purpose seems to be to give an advantage to beginners. (typical of arcade game design) Most good Quake players will deny that it's a factor in the gameplay, but the truth is that the better a player is, the less often they will accidently damage themselves. Note you also have an advantage when shooting directly into a wall, assuming that an enemy is close. Also, rocket jumping is very simple and could be accomplished some other way. 2. Slow movement, no open level areas. 3. Disparity in Quake weapon power is absurd, in all 3 versions. In Doom, weapon usefulness depends mostly on what situation you're in. I fear that FPS games will never return to the common sense standard of handling explosive splash, because tens of thousands of players have gotten used to an advantage that they don't even realize is an advantage. It creates a huge plateau at the average skill level, (in which most players reside) By plateau, I mean: easy to reach, hard to get above. The solution is to return splash to normal, or reduce the power of the RL to much less than other weapons. Reducing splash radius doesn't help much, since it also reduces the proximity in which you can damage yourself, and thus further encouraging constant thoughtless trigger pulling.

Guest Anonymous User

yes, that picture looks great, and yes, doom is being recuperated in quake3a. quake was a by-product, and those who followed were even worse. quake 2 is dull and boring (except that you get to shoot at women) and q3a is a stupid permanent deathmatch rampage for brainless salvages. anyway the picture is great. would have been greater without the mention q3a, tho.

Guest Lord Daha

Some of you (most?) will probably hate me, but, I must say, Q3 is great. I'm a Doom fan from the first hour (I still play it), and I relive a lot of the suspense of good old Doom trying to kick the ass of those Damn Q3 Bots. Sure, I'd love to see a new Doom using the Q3 engine, but, Q3 isn't Doom (and nobody says it is), the same way Doom isn't Galaxy, and Galaxy isn't Pong. So give those id guys a break, and think about what they're doing for the gaming community (pushing open, non propietary systems, promoting open source development in the gaming industry, etc....). Frag on baby. Yeah.

Guest HavoC

Quake 3 seems to be getting a lot of bad comments. It's a hella improvement over Quake 2. It's still not as good as Doom, but it sure does make a sweet lan deathmatch. Its pretty much got all the Doom2 weapons in there with a shit job done to the BFG (poor BFG), and its got some cool music. Maybe if they had actually added a single player it would've been enough to compete with Doom. For Deathmatch: it's ok. For blowing up baddies: -5000 points.

With the talk of the new Wolf3d game in develoment soon, what do people think is the possibility of a new doom game from ID, with all the doom references in q3 surely the resurgence of doom in this way means something?. doom lives forever.

Guest kchen

Doing so would be better than bringing it back under id's current design philosophy. Someone else mentioned rocket splash - a game that encourages close-range explosives (not to mention quadrupling a player's weapon power for no apparent reason) is not worthy of the Doom title. I'll say this: Quake3 is fun for deathmatching, in the way that Afterburner is fun for flight simulators. It's fun in its own right, but it lacks sophistication.

Guest Anonymous User

I SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. QUAKE IS A LAME PEST-LIKE OFFSPRING OF DOOM AND MUST ME SQUASHED QUICKLY. WHO CARES THAT IT IS A TRUE 3D GAME -- THAT MEANS JACK SHIT!!! DOOMGL IS EVOLVING RAPIDLY AND WILL BE GREAT!!1

Guest zsignal

it does not mean jack shit. did you know that gay people have claimed using only caps as their own?