Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
covaro

Doom Music

Ok ok, here we go. A nice long letter was sent to DW asking for out help. So what do we do of course when someone needs help? Well, we post it on the main page and let people help the guy (occasionally the girl). Here we go.

I've always been a real doom fan, I like everything in Doom. I'm fond of doom music - the great masterpiece of Bobby Prince. I'm a member of music bandand we wanted to try and play music from doom live. The melody isn't a problem,we've got chords and basic rhythm and solos easily from MIDI files, but a goodsong needs also lyrics.<p>So, I want to ask a question, may be you know the answer or you can post it inthe DW news section and somebody of your visitors will answer me. Are there anylyrics for doom songs around? The thing I want the most is "Demon's dead",music from MAP10 and MAP16 of original Doom2. It's played fairly easily withguitar, we were able to do our own bass line for it, but we need lyrics to makea complete song. If nobody had tried writing lyrics for it yet, then any onewill try? I know, some people *can* write good verses. I'm totally unable towrite any rhymes myself, so if anybody wants to help us, why don't take a try?<p>Of course, we won't use any of copyrighted doom music and your lyrics to makemoney of it, publishing it as our own song - this one is just for our ownpleasure. But if anybody will help us with lyrics then we will post a finishedMP3 of the song to the Doom community - wouldn't that be a good reason to helpus?

Ok, so if you want to help, send your stuff to GreyCat. I for one am interested in seeing what comes out of this.

Guest TheRequiem

The Doom songs were made to be without lyrics, so maybe you should just redo the songs in guitar. That would probably be better anyway. people dont want lyrics in game music when they play cause they need to pay attention to other things. But Doom music done with guitar riffs is a very fond idea, good luck on them!

I'm not an expert in songwriting, but I do know that music that is to have lyrics has to be written differently than for instrumentals. For example, can you imagine Beethoven's 5th with lyrics? Most of Doom's music wouldn't sound right with words in my opinion.

If we had to choose between DOOM songs with lyrics, and the Seinfeld theme with lyrics, what would we choose? Hmm, the lesser of two evils.. Let's see... Ahh, I pick DOOM!! :-b

Guest GreyCat

As I see some interested shown here in guitar lines for the music, I should say we've already done several songs with tabs, etc. If anyone interested in it, I could post it somewhere. You just should know that Doom music is much more a synthesizer-type music, so some pieces could be finger-breakingly hard to play :( Well, if anybody wants tabs of any song from Doom (reasonably), ask me and we'll discuss where can I post it... May be it could find a place here, on DoomWorld?

Guest Anonymous User

Hey freaycat, post up some mp3's or songs of what your band has played, i sure could write some more lyrics to go along with the mood. By the way, what did you think of the lyric's i sent you? Kinda suicidal i know, but the concept of doom is all about slaughter and mass destruction. The melondy alone cannot fully emphisize the mood that the game sets in, so sing loudly and proudly new words with those frimilar old toons. The brotherhood of ruin (sorry, don't have a link) has some powems of thoughts inspired by doom, maby you guys could fo fishing for ideas there? anyway, good luck. ThE NoraD

FreakyCat, I take it you know that quite a lot of the Doom music is actually based on real songs? E1M1, for instance, is based on a riff from Pantera's "Mouth For War", there's another couple of Pantera songs in Doom2, I hear tell there's an Alice In Chains song in there somewhere...has anyone ever collated all this together?

Guest Omniverse

Yeah I remember some things I recognized an Alice & Chains riff also, I remember one Doom song sounded EXACTLY like Metallica's Master of Puppets

Guest Anonymous User

I've received one text and think it's great - dark and right in the mood of Doom. The hardest thing is to figure out how to sing it and modify the melody to suit it well... I've already written acoustic intro to make a song less loopable... As for MP3s of our band, I don't think it would be interesting for this auditory. As you can see from my email, I'm from Russia, so we're russian and we sing songs mostly in russian. I could post a project of MID, but it looks now more like an original Doom MAP10/16 music minus intro/outro and several elements...

Guest Anonymous User

I dont know how well known this is.. But there are also riffs from Slayer's "Behind the crooked cross" and a riff that sounds exactly like a riff from Mercyful Fate's "Thirteen Invitations" on levels E3M3 & E3M1 respectively... The slayer riff is exactly like the one from the E3M3 music, its unmistakable.. Has any one else noticed any other music in doom with other riffs from 'real' bands? Well, one things for sure, Bobby Prince has good taste in music. <g> If anyones looking for a mp3 I might be able to give ya one..

Guest Anonymous User

Playing the music of doom is a great idea. I play in a band too and I wanna do the same thing with you.Please if you find any lyrics send me an e-mail: misterpc@crosswinds.net

I think it was the intermission music (also used on E2M3) of (Ultimate) Doom that was based on Metallica. I remember reading that somewhere.. This talk of DOOM music has created an urge for me to put the DooM MuSIc CD into my stereo. :)

Such as in a concert and in ones garage, with real instruments? I don't know. It's not exactly the most entertaining music in the world.. :-b