Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Spreading Epidemic

Doom Epidemic has updated with first 10 of the top 100 WADs on his list. Make sure and send in your votes for WADs if you want to see something up there, or just to reenforce the position of something already there. I also noticed it's 70% the same list as the one I gave last December 31...

Aliens TC is number one?? Right...

And how did Mordeth get in there?? Episodes 2 and 3 may look great, but c'mon, the first episode was like quake... all brown. Woa... it has a few trees in there...

Talk about those two being overrated.

Guest cocoon

I seriouslt doubt that half of the guys who voted for aliens tc, actually played it through. It might be a classic but HARDLY #1. Same goes for strain which shouldn't be up there at all. People who are serious about that placing probably didn't play a whole lot of megawads/pwads. And UAC_dead? I mean, this is the numero uno classic but it isn't good/fun/groundbraking anymore. Try and dig up some not so well-known wads and be creative when you do that list. It is booooring to read the same list everytime someone tries to put one together. Go to doomster and get a hold of cyberdreams. Now THAT is innovative! Come ask me for more puppies if you find none.

Guest PuPz

Just remember, the first 10 isn't my doing. More people need to vote (hint hint).

- [b]PuPz

Here are a few titles from my "best-of" collection:

Two 'classic' megawads that I will always remember are AsDoom2 and the Aliens TC. AsDoom2 was one of the first levels I ever played and actually enjoyed, while the Aliens TC showed me that the game could be heavily modified to one's own liking (even if I didn't like that actual levels and so that much). This put me on my path of creating my own stuff.

Best megawad in my book is Requiem. It had some remarkable levels (and of course its share of not-so-good levels) and was a great playing experience from beginning to end.

My vote for best TC goes to Batman Doom. Here, textures and sprites were modified in such a way that this became a totally new game. The levels are not neglected either, and suited the theme real fine. The storyline is great and is acted upon while playing the levels... remember that hospital evacuation? Some people may say this TC does not resemble Doom at all, and they're right about that... but that is what the term 'total conversion' means.

Best DM level is a lot tougher to choose. I don't play Doom DM a lot... my LAN parties usually consist of a lot of Blood, sometimes Duke3D, coop Warcraft II on our own custom levels and recently StarCraft as well. But my vote prolly goes to the Gothic DM series, for pure architecture and looks.

Then there are several other levels or megawads that stick out above the rest, but it'd take all night to scribble them all down.

well, two wads i actually did something for in the top ten, plus one or two i somehow managed to wheedle my way onto the credits lists for, haha. the sweet taste of success. two things to remember about aliens tc: it was made by ONE GUY, and it was made at a time when tools were so primitive that what he managed was frankly unbelievable, so niggles about its untidiness, level design glitches and weird installation are, frankly, unfair in the extreme. plus it is _still_ by far the scariest doom wad ever made. something that should be up there and isn't: dawn of the dead, a doom1 episode1 wad by jan van der veken (originator of The Darkening), that rocks severe bells. go download it (logical place at cdrom), go "wow", then vote for it :).

Guest dickie

For atmosphere, aliens TC was indeed a triumph. But the levels themselves were awful...no.1? I don't think so! Requiem wins my vote.

Guest PuPz

I'll count those as votes. All of you will have to cut me some slack. Creating a top 100 is fawking hard, which is probably why it hasn't been attempted before. It's like spitting into the wind, heh. With the Doom community being as small as it is, it's hard to get a lot of votes to fill an entire 100 WAD list. I'm probably going to have to wing half of the list myself. Another thing to remember, this list isn't the best WADs "of all time", it's just a reflection of the best of what the community has to offer, remarkable feets (Aliens TC), ground breakers (too many to mention), eye candy (GothicDM series), etc. The list will probably suck for a while, but votes can change that. The more votes one WAD has, the higher it's ranking in the list. Fawk me... I should of done a top 50, but nooo, PuPz always has to go big. :P

- [b]PuPz

>It might be a classic but HARDLY #1. Same goes for strain which shouldn't be up there at all. <P>I'm severely annoyed by this statement. First, I agree, maybe Aliens TC shouldn't be #1, but from what I hear it is the most popular. <P>And Strain? I'm new to the community, but I've played quite a few wads, and I loved strain. Just the first three levels really impressed me. <BR>Starting off with no ammo, and killing an imp with enhanced punching ability was interesting, and different, for a beginning, not to mention I loved level one's music. <BR>Level two was a slower, a bit on the boring side, but still fun. <BR>When I played level three the first time I was completely taken aback. <P>The only problem I see with Strain is that the graphics are a little on the "meh" side, but I look for gameplay primarily. And after a while, the later levels become more of the same thing, but that's really the problem with TC megawads in general. <P>All in all, I still love Strain. I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but I love it.

Had a quick browse through my wads dir, and this is what invoked fond memories, _roughly_ in this order:

earth requiem invasion2 dystopia 3 hell revealed batman doom the darkening memento mori2 memento mori eternal doom a hell day

yes a pretty boring list, though 1 or 2 non standard items. I was surprised I haven't heard "earth" yet, I found this wad to be utterly brilliant. Yes I have played aliensTC (absolutely ages ago), and didn't like it much. Same goes for uacwhatsit, I can't picture what the fuss is about. I left out deathmatch wads alltogether, on purpose.

Guest cocoon

So you are simply saying that a map can look like shit and still offer then sweet gameplay? Oh no, I think there is more to it. I didn't like it's gfx, I didn't like it's small puzzles. I seriously don't think strain should be coming until after #30 or something. And you can dissagree of course, this is only my opinion

Guest Pirx

hmm, putting SP wads on the same list with DM wads is a little strange i think... i'd say requiem kicks, actually plutonia is my #1

Guest Anonymous User

pfff... I really think HR should be in the top5. It really rocks! but maybe those who voted aren't serious doom players and found it too hard :( Btw, AliensTC is cool, but NOT n°1.

shouldn't count, because technically it's an id product, or at least an official release. hell revealed - well, it's very, very hard first of all, which maybe should disqualify it since 99.5% of doomers really wouldn't want to approach it on uv. it scares the shit out of me, hehe :). plus it's fairly bland in places, particularly the first 10 levels or so, definitely a serious, competition player's wad more than a general one. earth...wonderful technical design skills...but the gameplay was very ordinary...

Guest 5150

I need help in finding these retail wads. I only have the demo's. wizworks no longer makes these cd-roms. Please help <P> Dan

Guest Daggah

But a level can't claim to be the best unless it plays great AND looks great. I liked Strain, Requiem, Darkening E1...didn't care for AliensTC (the quality of the levels kind of put me off.)