Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

That's Wild, Man

Richard Clark sent word that he is about to start a new project: an original turn-based role-playing / strategy game set in the "Doom: The Next Chapter" theme. It will not be based on the Doom sources, but coded from scratch to include all the DTNC elements like like backgrounds, character generations, weapons, items and monsters. Says the man:

I am writing a behavior based AI system to give the monsters intelligence (I wrote several essays on this last year that I published in the community) so this won't be a simple run and shoot game. This will be a role playing game, heavy on the strategy. Each mission will have objectives to complete and as your character(s) grows, so will the complexity of the tasks. I am trying to make the world dynamic and consistent. An action in Mission 1 may carry over into mission 2, good or bad.

An editor will be included, so people may create their own scenarios. The focus now is on the single-player game, but a multi-player mode is also planned at a later date. Work on this new game will get into full swing after Rick finishes his current projects, so expect more info in the near future at his DNTC page.

Guest The SuperFly

Good show, Dick!

Sounds good. Don't know if I can really get into it until I have more information, but still interesting.

Let me get this straight.. He's writing his own game and engine from scratch, using some of the DOOM wad-file resourses?? Sweeeeeet... :-b

I'm glad to see that someone is finally making something besides a point and shoot game (although that's what I'm used to). Nothing's better than a good RPG, and one based on Doom, at that.

Guest IcarusWing

...are cool. And this one sounds damn cool. Hope it works out.

Guest Levendis

A while back I made a turn-based RPG-style combat system for Doom, trying to prove to someone that the Doom engine was versatile enough to be used for something similar to FF7...
It was really clunky...hopefully Rick Clark can make something a bit nicer :-)

I'm really looking forward to this... but a Doom real-time strategy game would be even better :)

Guest Rick Clark

I just want you all to know that this isn't a Doom source port game. That is, I am not using anything from the Doom sources. Rather, I am taking my DTNC information and making a role-playing strategy game. I am not a graphics programmer so it will probably be a tile based game and not a three-d based game. However, I hope to have a lot of depth and if you like the idea of DTNC you'll be able to enter this world to a greater degree. I'll have some preliminary shots up soon. Rick Clark

Guest Jim Bentler

You should consider it. There's no law against making the game require a doom2.wad to play it. Besides, almost everyone who's going to play this game has Doom 2.

Guest The SuperFly

Damn skippy!