Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheShep

/newstuff Chronicles archives!

One of the fellows here at DOOMworld i emailed about the idea of a newstuff archives said I should ask people in the forum about this idea.

SO...

What would you all think if there was a page that contained all the old /newstuff Chronicles (1-84 or as many as we can get), so in this fashion, we can see all the fine reviews that these people do. I've only been here as long ago as /newstuff 72 or something, and I missed all those well-written reviews that these folks put out.

Reply to this. Maybe we can get this booking.

I've archived loads of them, but I'm not sure where they are, I had them on my website but cleared them up ages ago. As I remember it was very hard to work out the URLs/article numbers for them all.

Will keep you posted.

Sounds like a tight idea ya'll! It would make life much easier too, for peeps who wanted to point out all da old topics which newer peeps have questions on, instead havin to explain da stuff all ova again!

/me sees Mewse!

Heh.... good to see ya chillin up in dis piece again dawg... you been ghost for quite some time, I didn't think you wuz comin back for a while there... thought maybe a shark had swallowed yo ass or somethin, bug-eyed fish!
:P

Actually that is a good idea. Five chronicles per page, maybe? I wonder why this hasn't been done yet.

I've been wanting this for ages. There's loads I missed earlier in the year.

Not a bad idea! Just hope someone follows through with it!

So, what are you going to do? Go through the news archives for the old /newstuff reviews? Well, I like the idea, but I must say good luck, because you are gonna need it...

If you want to know exactly what was said, here's the email in it's entirety (my comments will be in brackets "[]"):

<START>

[March 6, 2002]

I do keep the HTML file and screenshots for each week's /newstuff in it's own zip on my HD. If enough people requested [you see] it, it shouldn't be too hard to setup a small webpage with all the /newstuff chronicles availiable for viewing [no difficulty here].

The only setback I can think of is that I didn't start doing the /newstuff until recently. The 70-odd T/NCs that were written by AndrewB before he quit likely would be lost [the problem; albeit we should have the recents for sure].

I suggest you post your ideas on the DoomWorld forums [hehe] and if there's enough positive feedback [what I am inducing] I'll talk to Linguica about setting up a DoomWorld-hosted /newstuff archive [we can hope].

-Liam the Bard [the guy]

<END>

So there it is. Now, if we keep feedback pumping, we will hopefully get the Linguica fellow to post up on the idea.

Good day.

Hmm oh yeah wait I archived the 'oldstuff chronicles' which I thought were far superior but appear to have gone the way of the dodo.

If anyone wants them, I'll put them up somewhere.

Great idea. I think it's been requested many times here without getting done, though :(

Actually, having an old stuff chronicles is a pretty neat idea. For instnace, what was the first pwad made by an oridnary doomer?

I miss Cacodemon Leader. What happened to him, anyway?

DooMBoy said:

I miss Cacodemon Leader. What happened to him, anyway?

I just noticed that as well. last time I seen him was in the Doom Depot forums....

It is overrated :P Matt Dixon I think you must be referring to is a LEGEND. I'd trust his judgement over most people's about what wads are good or not. Plus, most of the wads he and ling exposed in oldstuff were far superior IMHO.

too old, fat man

(what I mean is, perhaps more experience with doom wads from the pre port days is necessary)

I sure have a lot of 94/95 pwads on here I could write about. Picking out the good ones is the problem. I've played most but can't remmeber their names.. :(

Da_Esco² said:

thought maybe a shark had swallowed yo ass or somethin, bug-eyed fish!
:P

Jon said:

It is overrated :P Matt Dixon I think you must be referring to is a LEGEND. I'd trust his judgement over most people's about what wads are good or not. Plus, most of the wads he and ling exposed in oldstuff were far superior IMHO.

Pfft, MM is great. There's no way you can't enjoy it...you've never played it coop have you?

Archvile64 said:

Pfft, MM is great. There's no way you can't enjoy it...you've never played it coop have you?

I have played it coop actually.. but not as a hardcore player. Back in the 486/serial days. (well, we were 486ing.. I imagine everyone else was on their pentiums by then).

It is great but still overrated and there are better wads.