Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

I just played through hub 1 of Hell Factory and I must say it was one of the coolest experiences I've had with Doom in quite some time. People have said that it's hard to have lots of scripting and still have exciting gameplay, but this 4-level ZDoom WAD seems to mix the two quite nicely, with lots of effects and surprises. If you haven't downloaded it yet, I highly recommend it. In fact, I'd say it's probably the best ZDoom WAD I've yet playe

Sounds good. Maye I'll download it one of these days, if I'm bored. That's what I said about HACX the night it came out. I ended up download it right away. Oh well.. :-b

Guest cocoon

There has been several releases already that shows "oh so cool" effects but none has created a good gaming experience. I reviewed this wad right after it was released, and some find my score a bit low... Well, first of all, that score is GOOD. I don't give away 8s, 9ers and almost never 10s, like every newely released wad is that good. It is _very_ hard to come up to par with my standards. I never found the actually maps to be stisfying in architecture and design (but they were all good) and when I also found several bugs it pulled the rating down a bit. AND I was looking for a fluent gameplay (which is one of the elements for a high rating) and well, read the review to find out what I'm complaining about here. Some of you probably think that "Well WTF? This is a zdoom wad with scripting and it was not designed to play like that!!" Well, I guess I'm a bad revoewer then :) It all depends on the feeling I get while playing. It is all depending on the personal taste. What I'm looking for in a wad might not be possible to get with a zdoom wad like this. I mean, if this wad was my standard I would give it a very high rating, and ordinary doom2 wads with zippo storyline, a bad rating.

Guest NunoCorreia

Yes, Hell Factory rules. You're have just to the ignore errors in the language of english :)

What can you expect from a member of Team Apocalypse? <P>Wait a minute, I still suck. Nevermind.

No Martin you aren't a bad reviewer, just a poor speller like every other Swedish bastard. :D (except Ola because he's a neo-nazi)

I liked the level design and the scripting and stuff, but walking from the nukage area to the sewers and back 4 or 5 times and encountering a few imps on the way kind of got boring.

Guest cocoon

Afterglow: Damnmit I just never check the lines I type ;)

Guest Levendis

Simply outstanding. This really shows what we can do with ZDoom. One of the hardest things is getting across to the player what you want them to do to move the storyline along, and this generally does that pretty well. There were a few times when I hit a switch and wondered "Well, what did that do?" And you still get the "Space Marine running around a base finding keys and hitting buttons" syndrome a bit.

Here's an idea...whatever Doomguy is doing, he should either have outside support telling him what switches to hit/computers to access/etc. and when, or, if he's solo, he should "know" what he's doing; either way there should be a running commentary as you do things. For instance...why was there a missile turret in that yard place conveniently to destroy that one door? Little things like that that make you scratch your head lower the rating of an otherwise kickass .WAD (but only because this one makes an attempt at having a storyline).

Having generalized maps at the startup would be nice--you have to assume Doomguy has some intelligence data, so make a generalized layout by setting "already on the map at startup" linedefs is nice...

So anyway...GO DOWNLOAD! It's worth it.
--Levendis

So in essence you will have Doom levels that move along somewhat like Quake 2 levels ... :)

I agree with you on the "hit the switch and wonder wtf it does" syndrome that seems to plague many (even very good) levels. As a rule I always make the effects of any switch in my levels visible or at the very least audible. However, in my opinion, special effects and scripting can't provide good basic fun and gameplay. That has to be there from the start.

Guest Levendis

This is something I'm hearing a lot lately. "Scripts can't make a wad good." That's true, but it doesn't follow that they therefore make a wad bad. The gameplay in Hell Factory is very good--just slightly different from what most doomers are used to (meaning the ones who think every level should feature, at some point, firing rockets into a hoard of 20 or so imps).

Just my $0.02...
--Levendis