Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

If there is a Doom 3 public demo...

What do you think it will have? I have several guesses...

A few weapons, maybe the first 3 or 4.

A few monsters, like the Demon and Imp.

About 1 to 3 levels, maybe from Doom 3, maybe just made for the test.

Limited MP support.

A few tracks.

Doom 3 info in a readme or something.

Some Doom 3 screenies or maybe some footage!

I think it will also be a good 150 mb or so. What do you guys think the Doom 3 public demo might be like?

I don't think there will be much focus on mp simply because the game isn't focused on that, however I hope that mp is part of the test, would be interesting to see how peoples computers hold up in firefights

bigbadgangsta said:

About 1 to 3 levels, maybe from Doom 3, maybe just made for the test.

Probably the same stuff that was shown at MacWorld and E3, so they don't spoil too much of the game.

Limited MP support.

Deathmatch only, I'd guess.

Some Doom 3 screenies or maybe some footage!

Why would they include screenies and video with the test, if you can make a million screenies and video sequences yourself ?

I think it will also be a good 150 mb or so. What do you guys think the Doom 3 public demo might be like?

No more than 100MB. It's supposed to be a test of how all kinds of hardware handle the game, so it doesn't really make sense to limit its availability to the broadband people.

Lord FlatHead said:

Deathmatch only, I'd guess.

Deathmatch only, EVER, even on the finished product. according to id that is. they said that if you want CTF or something, play q3.

if there is a doom 3 public demo, my only thoughts would be:

doom3_publictest.exe : 1.5gb

Yeah, and if it is in the 1GB+ class, that'll rule out anyone without broadband; i.e. a hell of a lot of people. Better pray it appears on a covermount CD/DVD.

1 gb? No, won't be that big, it's a step in gaming tech but not that big a step in demo file size. The biggest demo I've seen was 256 megs, a D3 demo won't be 1000 megs. Also, it's designed to rule out the 56 fags (sorry to any 56kers here), since the game will only support broadband anyways online. However there will be some who will try to download it and will most likely just help slow the server down

public demo

1-2 SP level with not much spoiler.i expect the same level that was shown at E3.this time,they should give us a chance to kick that hell knight`s ass ; )
1 DM level (or they should make MP demo only)
weapon:pistol shotgun chaingun and rocket launcher
i hope it won`t be too large for 56ker

Dark-tenshi said:

i hope it won`t be too large for 56ker

Doom 3 is way more advanced than Quake 3 and Quake 3's test wasn't 56k friendly...

± is plus or minus (assuming you are using the same font that I am).

I could imagine Q3Test was a pain for 56K'ers in Europe and so forth, but I had no problem getting it at 42K in the US. Gotta love that flat rate. Just start the download before going to bed and let it trickle in over night. The only thing that really limits me is the 12 hour expiration of my assigned IP address.

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Yeah, and if it is in the 1GB+ class, that'll rule out anyone without broadband; i.e. a hell of a lot of people. Better pray it appears on a covermount CD/DVD.

Do you have any idea just how much 1GB is ? id are likely going to cut out most weapons, monsters, and 90% of the levels for the test release. Believe me, it won't get over 100MB.

bigbadgangsta said:

Doom 3 is way more advanced than Quake 3 and Quake 3's test wasn't 56k friendly...

well it`s upon how many MB that can be considered 56Kfriendly.if the DEMO of advance game like DOOM have the sizeabout 100-200 MB,i will consider it not too large.

I don't think there will be any MP at all in the test. id keeps refering it as "test", so I guess a singleplayer portion of the game is out of the question. It will probably be a couple of areas with some enemies patrolling, maybe even not paying you attention at all.

I think there will be Demo(not,test) for DOOM3 .But it may be release after thde full game ships.At that time,i won`t pay attention to demo,unless it has demo-exclusive level.

Well, I'm on 56K, although by the time id release a test of doom3, I'll be on ADSL. Now I used to think that 50MB was a bit big for such a slow connection. I don't think so anymore as long as you have a download resumer/accelerator of some kind and do it in 30/40MB chunks, you'll get large files relatively easy, I'm assuming that you have unlimited downloads on 56K though. But it is possible to get large files. As for the size of the test....well Q3Test was 60MB or so.....so in the range of 60MB-100MB or maybe a little bit higher.

1Gig for a demo is ridiculous.

bigbadgangsta said:

Uh? Q3A's test was only around 35 Mb - I downloaded it with a 36k modem.

uh? 35MB, I'm pretty sure it was about 60MB or so...then again, maybe it was 35 to start with....I can't remember anyway. Heh, 33.6K ugh, that had to suck.

The TA demo on the other hand was above 100 Mb, but it had more detailed maps, fmv videos and bots included.

dsm said:

The TA demo on the other hand was above 100 Mb, but it had more detailed maps, fmv videos and bots included.

It had one map. ONE. And a pretty crappy one at that.

Lord FlatHead said:

It had one map. ONE. And a pretty crappy one at that.

Oh yeah, sorry.
But that ONE map seemed larger than all three Q3Atest maps combined - or maybe my imagination is fucking around with my memory?

dsm said:

Oh yeah, sorry.
But that ONE map seemed larger than all three Q3Atest maps combined - or maybe my imagination is fucking around with my memory?

Q3Test was great. I've played the original Q3Test recently with some buddies on a LAN, and that was kinda fun. There's also the leaked IHV test from Macworld 1999 that shows just how crappy the Q3 engine was once. Ah, the memories.

I wish I could get the Q3Test now I have a way betterer computer to play it, or Q3 for that matter.

Anyone played the original Quake Test?