Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Doom3D Update

No, this is not about id Software's announced new Doom game (see story below), but about the upcoming Quake 3 conversion called Doom3D, initially starting out as a Quake mod. Head honcho Tim Wright left a message on our forums asking if he still should go ahead. Why not leave your opinion on our forum?

No, this is not about id Software's announced new Doom game (see story below), but about the upcoming Quake 3 conversion called Doom3D, initially starting out as a Quake mod. Head honcho Tim Wright left a message on our forums asking if he still should go ahead. Why not leave your opinion on our forum?

Guest Anonymous User

If you build it, we will play it!

Guest Anonymous User

If you build it, we will play it!

Guest Anonymous User

Don't stop the work on DOOM 3D. I think this project will be great. The screenshots look very good.

Guest Anonymous User

Don't stop the work on DOOM 3D. I think this project will be great. The screenshots look very good.

Guest Caleb

the hell with what every other pixelization loving, 3d video card hating, awful graphics loving thinks! make this game!

Guest Caleb

the hell with what every other pixelization loving, 3d video card hating, awful graphics loving thinks! make this game!

Guest Anonymous User

Even though your mod looks cool, I don't really think id will let you finish it. If I were you I would use all the talent gathered and make a mod based on a original idea, trying to conserve as much work as possible. I wouldn't risk myself to work months for a mod that finally gets closed.

Guest Anonymous User

Even though your mod looks cool, I don't really think id will let you finish it. If I were you I would use all the talent gathered and make a mod based on a original idea, trying to conserve as much work as possible. I wouldn't risk myself to work months for a mod that finally gets closed.

Guest Anonymous User

Firstly, the community over at http://www.shugashack.com was having an uproar about any company, INCLUDING id, being qualified for this. A lot of people think the game shouldn't be redone, and that old Doom memories be left to rest. While I don't agree with this, I do agree that no matter the quality of your mod, you let id do their work. No disrespect to you, just please concentrate your efforts on something more worthwhile. A previous mod for the Quake 2 engine called "Generations" was shot down. It featured classes, but this was the catch: It had BJ from Wolf3D, the Doom marine, the Quake marine, and the Quake 2 marine. Different speeds, the weapons from their respective games, etc. It looked promising but id told them that it was illegal to have it going on and the mod was shut down. id seemed apologetic about it, surprisingly. Then they came out with Quake 3, and it had the Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 lead character models in there, just like Generations did. While I'm not saying they'll just hipocritically steal your work, I do think it'll be shut down and replaced with something of a higher quality, from the only people who remotely deserve to try it in the first place. the_boogieman@hotmail.com 10309400

Guest Anonymous User

Firstly, the community over at http://www.shugashack.com was having an uproar about any company, INCLUDING id, being qualified for this. A lot of people think the game shouldn't be redone, and that old Doom memories be left to rest. While I don't agree with this, I do agree that no matter the quality of your mod, you let id do their work. No disrespect to you, just please concentrate your efforts on something more worthwhile. A previous mod for the Quake 2 engine called "Generations" was shot down. It featured classes, but this was the catch: It had BJ from Wolf3D, the Doom marine, the Quake marine, and the Quake 2 marine. Different speeds, the weapons from their respective games, etc. It looked promising but id told them that it was illegal to have it going on and the mod was shut down. id seemed apologetic about it, surprisingly. Then they came out with Quake 3, and it had the Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 lead character models in there, just like Generations did. While I'm not saying they'll just hipocritically steal your work, I do think it'll be shut down and replaced with something of a higher quality, from the only people who remotely deserve to try it in the first place. the_boogieman@hotmail.com 10309400

Guest Anonymous User

but only if you make a mod for fun

Guest Anonymous User

but only if you make a mod for fun

Generations was illegal because it used the exact same models, textures, and levels from Quake 1. Quake 3 uses brand new models. The ranger (Q1) model in Q3 is the only thing from Quake, and it was brand new even so.

ID didn't have a problem with the mod itself, just how it was done. Lee'Mon and the rest of the Generations team shut it down because they didn't want to bother making new Quake-based stuff.

Even now, though, there are 2 (or 3) teams working on Generations code and resources to bring it out in a legal way (or in the case of iGen, an illegal way - if I'm still up to date on this). SOG is a good example: http://sog.telefragged.com - it is already in alpha release.

Lee'Mon has also begun work (supposedly) on the Q3 version of Generations.

I can't see that id Software will shut any of them down (with possible exception of iGen).

Generations was illegal because it used the exact same models, textures, and levels from Quake 1. Quake 3 uses brand new models. The ranger (Q1) model in Q3 is the only thing from Quake, and it was brand new even so.

ID didn't have a problem with the mod itself, just how it was done. Lee'Mon and the rest of the Generations team shut it down because they didn't want to bother making new Quake-based stuff.

Even now, though, there are 2 (or 3) teams working on Generations code and resources to bring it out in a legal way (or in the case of iGen, an illegal way - if I'm still up to date on this). SOG is a good example: http://sog.telefragged.com - it is already in alpha release.

Lee'Mon has also begun work (supposedly) on the Q3 version of Generations.

I can't see that id Software will shut any of them down (with possible exception of iGen).

Guest TheRequiem

Dont stop on the Q3 project, it will take ID software atleast 18 months to make the game... minimum so take advantage of that and get the damn thing out to us!

Guest TheRequiem

Dont stop on the Q3 project, it will take ID software atleast 18 months to make the game... minimum so take advantage of that and get the damn thing out to us!

Guest ScarFace

If you don't want your mod to get shut down, take it UNDERGROUND. Either don't put up a website at all; have a members-only controlled-access site with a password that changes every week (and don't refer to the site's real contents at all on the login page!!!!); or have the site hosted in a country with very loose or no copyright laws, and with a host that won't pull sites, or give anyone info on the site's owner if subpoenaed (the Sealand data haven would be good for this) and use anonymous nicknames/aliases for yourself and all of your team members. By all means, DO NOT GO AROUND PIMPING THIS MOD!!!! The Doom TC for Half-Life was recently foxed by GT Interactive (publishers of Doom) as soon as they heard about it.

Guest ScarFace

If you don't want your mod to get shut down, take it UNDERGROUND. Either don't put up a website at all; have a members-only controlled-access site with a password that changes every week (and don't refer to the site's real contents at all on the login page!!!!); or have the site hosted in a country with very loose or no copyright laws, and with a host that won't pull sites, or give anyone info on the site's owner if subpoenaed (the Sealand data haven would be good for this) and use anonymous nicknames/aliases for yourself and all of your team members. By all means, DO NOT GO AROUND PIMPING THIS MOD!!!! The Doom TC for Half-Life was recently foxed by GT Interactive (publishers of Doom) as soon as they heard about it.