Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Ling's Ideas, 8/99

I think whatever doom turns out to be it will be very cool. But keep the compatibillity with older *.wad files.

Guest Anonymous User

For anyone who has played the N64 Verson of doom, that is a great example of how a kick ass audio track and level disighn can make an old classic great again. What made doom so great in the first place was playing it at night, wondering what new creatures you moght stumble opon, and the boss of doom II blew me away. But what i liked about the nintendo verson was the dark and spookey environment that the marine was put in. You never got to see the monsters out in broad daylight, and where considered luckey if you saw what the fuckin thing looked like. All you knew was something in the dark was out there trying to get you and you had to hunt it down first. Not only that, the light would constantly change, and more and more enimies would start hunting you down, it was by far the scarest thing i have ever played.

Guest Wyvern

Backwards WAD compatibility would be really nice, but I don't think they should design the new engine around it. I mean, come on. If the game is going to progress beyond WADs, then new ways of compiling the levels should be used. WADs are old technology, and should only considered in a later patch or MOD of some sort. It'd be cool to have, though.

Guest NegativeCreep

I like the idea of bringing back bobby prince.. too me he defined alot of the 'dark' mood in doom. I remember when I first played E1M8, I must of been 14, but the music just had the... I dont know how to describe it, prescence of doom in it. Even if it was in midi, to this day I'm sure I could identify any song from doom instantly.

I definately do NOT think they should bring in trent reznor or use ambient music.. To me that'd just ruin it, it wouldnt be doom if it wasnt thrashy, dark, and heavy.. Get the adrenaline flowing, speed kills, ambience would just calm you down.. And for me doom is as much about the adrenaline daze waiting around every corner as it was the suspence of meeting up with the baron of hell for the first time, blasting away at him with the shotgun wondering when he'd die, and thinking how kick ass it all was.

The music just fit the levels perfectly, with the heavy speed attack of E3M8 to the keyboards pushing against you on Map28.. Take away that, and you take away a large part of doom, IMO.

I dont think the music should have vocals though, that'd just be stupid. Escpecially metallica... They couldn't even come close to having music that would match well with doom, except maybe for "orion".. Give me slayers "behind the crooked cross", "hell awaits", or pantera's "suicide note pt.2" anyday. But I do agree that orchestra type stuff (ala FF7 or Therion) would probably go really good for some levels..

Guest Anonymous User

It may sound like heresy to most of you but... Hell, I am a keyboarder, and I believe there are others like me out there :-) What I would like to see in Doom2000(Doom3) is: Keyboard interface emulating the original Doom(2) interface, i.e.: hold down shift to run; turning speed of arrow keys being the same as in Doom; STRAFERUNNING!!! ; There is a little trick for faster keyboard turning in doom: hold down both the turning key and the backstep key... and the most important feature: I WANT A *FAST* Doom Marine, not a crippled Quake2 nanny. Optional autoaiming (like in Quake1). Quake1 used to have been done pretty much like Doom regarding keyboard controls (not as good as doom, though). I wish I could see all that the Quakes could not achieve in Doom3...

Guest Anonymous User

Years have passed since the Demons from hell escaped to invade Earth. The old Phobos and Demos bases have been abondoned for years. The UAC decides to open new Phobos and Demos Moon Base without using gates. Mining and research on the two moons of Mars countinue with success. The gates are being studied by the UAC scientists, with caution. Flynn Taggart (the DooMed space marine) has been assigned Team-Leader of an elite force, guarding the gates (just in case) the scientist have not re-activated the gates because of what had happend last time, however are investigating what went wrong. Old bases on Mars' moons, are closed off to civilian personel and is rumored to be "haunted" by locals. A message was be transmitted by a local about problems with a routine shipment of ore "Demos Alpha: this is UAC research, the equipment we requested has not yet... ...Oh god! No! I don't Believe..." the transmission ended. Three hours later intellegence reports that a gate on phobos has been reactivated, and your men have been given orders: -Secure Phobos. -Save the remaining civilian popullation. -discover the origin of the gate's re-activation. -prevent future re-activations by any means. You and your team suit-up and prepare for departure, "looks like I'm going back." Flynn says to him self "Home sweet Hell."

Guest Anonymous User

Get them back, or the game will never feel like the original

Guest Anonymous User

id should: throw in hundreds of in each level, make something like 100 levels. announce a level contest or something. ship the game on a dvd with 1000s of custom wads (taken from cdrom.com or something, provided there *is* backwards compatibility hardcoded or something). thow in the original doom and doom2 wads. have Romero design the military levels. have Robert Prince write the music (include the enhanced versions of the original music). etc. oh, and help Robert Prince find a new place to upload his mp3's.

Guest DarkYouth

Everyone wants different things. Already doom is visably going the way of Daikitana. The hype surrounding this is huge and all there has been is a single .plan update. The game might not go through yet. I am currently looking into a DooM mod for the Q2 engine. It is feasable to have 25 monsters on screen with the following spec.. P3-450 128mb Ram A decent 3D Card My PC dropped from 90+ fps to around 35 but was still playable. I am currently working on model substitution (GlDoom used a md2 model format and I may just use those), I am looking for some help. Be it with coding, Modelling, Mapping. Currently I plan to do the following ------------------------------------ Doom *style* weapons, Not the same weapons but similar New levels, Some based on original doom levels *DOES ANYONE HAVE A WAD to Q2 TEXTURE CONVERTER?* An introduction clip made with KeyGrip 2 (Demo Editor) If anyone has suggestions please mail them to me at: darkyouth@ntlworld.com

Guest Anonymous User

I have talked Things over with friends and we have made a list of things we would like in DooM III: -Improvising weaponry: when a monster is in your face and you are armed with the shot-gun you automaticly bash there face in with the butt of your gun. -Damage invironment: you launch a rocket at a door, and it is dented-in, smash control panels. -Grenades: nuff said. -Same levels: not all of the game, but if on phobos, old levels will be accessable, but will be aged. -Multiple Monster Faces, deaths: Remember how cool it was in Goldeneye how different soldiers had different faces? How about 50 different variations on faces, zombies, imps, Demons, ect. -More Reality: You see through a visor, with a tinted glass face shield, you hear your own breathing, foot steps. -trade weapons: in Multi-player give your buddy a Double shot gun for their Plasma Rifle. -Co-op botz in SPM: You fight along side a Platoon, you try to keep each other alive, old friends who die in level 3 re-apear in level 4 as zombies. -Chainsaw more real: you can cut a guy in half, cut off arms, legs, head ect. chainsaw gets bloodier with each slice. -pilot vehicle: Ships, cars, motor-cycles, heli-jets ect. -Ambient Music: when a buddy dies, a boss is defeat/encountered. music changes mood. -texture translation option: this has to do with that whole "backwards compatable wad" thing, for each texture in the old wad, a new one with same properties but better look could take its place as an option. well thats it, I think that DooM 3 would be all the better with these things in place. BTW, That "return to phobos story" is pretty good! -mattumbo

Guest Anonymous User

List test... -List part one -List part two -List part three Sorry, but I need to know about how to have breaks in paragraphs. :P

Guest Archvile

Here are some of my Doom 3 ideas: Storyline/Plot: Either the expansion of the original DooM storyline, you know, where the gates on Phobos and Deimos go haywire, etc. Or, a new one in which the UAC is mostly gone and instead a new corporation has begun experimenting with the gates somewhere...the moons of Jupiter maybe(Io, Calisto, etc.) Either way, I really want a solid storyline. Levels: In hub style, where you start out on one level, and branch out to others, being able to return to previously visited levels. I think mission objectives are a good idea (turning on the power, finding some essential item) as long as they don't interfere with the action. As for the end of level screens, at the end of each level in the hub, tell the Kill, Item, and Secret percentage so far, so when the player returns to that level, they can finish up. Gameplay: Action. Lots of it. Also, interaction with other characters would be really cool. For the original storyline idea, how about meeting up with the marine from the original Doom. Vehicles you can drive, ladders you can climb, rooms over rooms, etc. Monsters: The same monsters as DooM2, add a few more. I will elaborate on the few that I want to really talk about. Zombies: Give them some individuality. Scientist zombies that stumble at you with their bare hands, Civilian zombies that pick anything they can find off the ground and use it as a weapon. Marine zombies with assorted types of weapons. Each one of those types could have a few different faces. Demons: Make them black, give them spear-tails, and make them just a little more agile. Keep them huge and tough though. Revenant: Again, individuality. Wearing tatters of different clothing, some wearing no clothing at all. Super-Mancubus: Give it another pair of rocket launchers, and make them home in on you. Make it a little tougher than the regular Mancubus. Cyber-Mastermind: A new, huge, ultimate badass! The top half of the Cyberdemon and the legs of the Spider Mastermind, and the weapons of BOTH. That's a scary thought. Just an overall thought. The monsters should be able to do things like hide, dodge, strafe, and even go get reinforcements. Weapons: Pretty much the same weapons. More 3D, though. Better graphics for the BFG, plasma gun, and pistol. Much better sounds for the pistol, so it doesn't sound like a peashooter. Maybe add a few weapons. Knife, laser gun. Sorry if this is all jumbled. I can't figure out how to get the paragraphs to seperate. I'm probably just really stupid, but any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Guest Archvile

Oh, yeah. Is Bobby Prince returning? And what about Romero. I agree with the previous statement saying that it won't be the same without them. If not Prince, what about David Shaw? His work it some of the TCs like Memento Mori 2, Strain, and Requiem has been pretty nice.

Lot's of really good ideas here. The thing to keep in mind though is that not all of these things can possibly be implemented. This is Doom we're talking about here. Gameplay will absolutely have to be SIMPLE!!!! The gameplay will absolutely have to be fast and intense. There can be cinematics or cutscenes but not so many that gameplay gets interrupted. The story should be simple as well. A lot of what made the original Doom great came from what it DIDN'T do as well as what it DID do.

Guest DefCon

All of these are some badass ideas, I think the key word to bring back the power of DooM is GLORY!! When you first spawn into the game, you should sit back in your chair and go, "Damn! Well, happy hunting!" and BAM, the action starts. The Tech Levels need to be VERY VERY futuristic with intense battles in level sized rooms with catwalks and walkways passing over each other. You should be able to actually look across the way and see some imps going about their business to finally be clued in after a couple skirmishes that something is going on! I want to actually believe I'm in these MFer's base and they don't know it until the y see me, and probably the farther you get, it should make a transition from infiltration, to 'shit, they know I'm here' and the guards seem a little more prepared, to an all out run and fight for your friggin life near the final parts of the game. When you beat the game, it should be like you just went through some intense EXPERIENCE taking you from famalier sourroundings to HELL and beyond. It would be pretty cool to get to the end of the game, and find out that you have to escape back the way you came and you have a limited amount of time to do it...and of course not all of the baddies are dead so they'll be trying to stop you. I also like the ideas of vehicles, like you should be given a tank for a while. There should also be some battles that are almost like deathmatch through a level against 2 bosses at once. You'd be running through hallways ducking around corners trying to waste them as they try to flank you. If you don't kill them fast enough, maybe they could team up in one room and you battle for your life. It should be a SPECTACULAR game. People should just see it playing in stores in the malls and shit their britches and say LET ME GET IN ON THAT ACTION!! I want something that's going to make my fingers tweitch while I'm sleeping! P.S. Add a sniper rifle, that would be VERY cool!

Guest Pvt.Ryan

The next doom will have an entirely new engine, it will not be Quake 3 engine, Carmack said that himself. Also, you have many good ideas, but you seem to think that they will listen, however. They might, granted, but probably will not.

Guest OPiUM

What really would make DooM ]|[ rock would be lots of cool weapons. The sniper rifle mentioned earlier would be great, I also would like to se a magnum revolver and perhaps a crossbow. They should also throw in maximum gore, both in gameplay and textures. Let's bring violence back into gaming!

Guest Anonymous User

A CROSSBOW???????

Anyway, everyone seems to think that Bobby Prince should be doing the music for DOOM III. And yes, I agree that he should. But really, everyone seems so eager to knock the music in Quake...no, the music in Quake WOULD NOT be good for DOOM, but for Quake, it does work, and work well...just thought I point that out.

Even if we can't have bp, there are others out there who (I think) could do an excellent job. If you don't believe me, try lisening to some of TeamTNT's stuff again...

Guest Confusion

That anon was me. I seem to have lost the ability to type my password correctly.

Guest Anonymous User

Revolver and Crossbow - those sound familiar... wait, don't tell me... Half-life! Actually, they might work well in doom. The revolver could replace the pistol.

Guest Anonymous User

Negative Creep - my experience and thoughts exactly! I'm glad we both understand this. I was the same age, too :)

Guest Anonymous User

C'mon people! How is this going to work? It'll be like Quake being compatible with Wolfenstein 3D! The new DOOM is going to be such an advancement over DOOM and even Quake that it's unfathomable to have backward compatiblity - really ludicrous.

Guest Anonymous User

Confusion - the latin arch-viles have to speak backward though :)

Guest Twitch

the funny part is if you read in the plan, carmack has to make the people work on doom 2k. when they do some thing they don't wanna do, it's gonna show. I vote again for raven to do it, hell they should hire the original team back.

Guest Wyvern

Hell yeah! I think Bobby Prince should be hired to help work on DooM 3's music. I'm sure he's advanced beyond the mere MIDI capacity, so why not give him a chance to recreate the mood? I mean, he wrote a song called "Waiting for Romero to Play," for crying out loud! Surely he musta liked the id guys! :D

Guest Confusion

Backwards, forwards, I don't care.

Ok skipping the boring stuff ;) thanks for the support someone- yes. Quake != doom, in doom scientists didnt create slipgates, long deactivated ones on moons were activated accidentally by the United Aerospace Corporation. And Confusion dont be nasty to ViolentEd, he's got a good point.

Guest ViolentEd

Hire a movie producer...such as...I dunno...George Romero. (Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead ect. ect.) Me and my cousin were watching Day of the Dead and if you havnt seen it, its basically this.

A bunch of scientists and military personel are locked in some underground bunker with (Dun dun duuuunnn) Zombies trying to get in. Blah blah, argueing, shooting. Pisses someone off and he lets all the zombies in. Ok, here is when we were both like "This is Doom in movie form" one zombie was walking around shooting a pistol, army guys were getting ripped apart and splattered all over the floor. One guy is running away in some cave shooting zombies trying to find an escape out of the base.

I highly doubt they are going to hire him though, but read somewhere that Day of the Dead was an inspiration to Doom so... would be interesting to see what they would turn out with.

Guest OPiUM

I agree, they should hire a horror movie producer, like Romero or someone to help design the game... Obviously id did very well designing DooM by themselves, but competition is harder now, and some of the people that made DooM so great are no longer with id.