Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Legacy News

The Doom Legacy site has word that a MacOS and BeOS version of this source port is currently under development. This will probably be finished "during this summer". The release date of the next 'normal' final version of Doom Legacy has been delayed a bit due to Real Life stuffage.

Guest Anonymous User

Yip! Yip! Yippee!

Guest Anonymous User

it does it does!

Guest Caleb

does the sound and music still suck? is it still choppy and all fucked up? hey legacy members, add support for soundblaster based cards will ya! otherwise stick with zdoomgl

Guest Daggah

You know, I gave it a shot...it's basically like Windows, but more stable and with less hardware/software compatibility.

Guest Confusion

Doom Legacy...what a joke of a source port.

What a joke of a poster. Of a human. Look children, point and laugh! And Caleb, it works fine with my Sound Blaster and always has! HeeHee! Oooh Dagger too! Hi Daggsy, been a while!

Guest Confusion

Oh dear. It seems that someone has a problem with my opinion of Doom Legacy. Could it be that someone has failed to see that Legacy lacks any of the features that could make it useful? Could it be that someone refuses to accept that ZDoom, JDoom, EDGE, MBF, etc., can do all that Legacy can and more? Could it be? I think that it could.

Guest Anonymous User

If you are a bit more elaborate about what features you miss, you may be able to help the Legacy team ;-)

Guest Confusion

How about ACS for a start? Editing without scripting - really, I can't do that anymore.

To declare that any port can do everything legacy does is a blatant untruth. Legacy is the only port which has split screen- maybe useless to you, but not to everyone. Also, Legacy developed skins, mouselook and crosshairs, all of which zdoom has- because they are lifted directly from legacy. And jumping for those who like it. And, you can turn off all these functions too, and last time I checked (could be wrong) zdoom hasnt got that backwards compatibility. And Legacy's GL supports more cards than ZdoomGL. But, we're not nitpicking. Its just people need to accept that some people like somethings, some like others- and if someoned flamed a zdoom post in such a way I bet you would be a little pissed off too.

Guest Anonymous User

heh... Confusion, your oppinion is obviously based on complete ignorance or you played an early version (like 1.25) and gave up on the port. And what is your problem? MY GOD! Teppic made a comment on the ZanZan thread and said something about everyone typeing GL all the time and you went crazy, because you thought he might be bashing ZDoom, which was not even mentioned in his message! What makes you think you should come here and start directly bassing Legacy? Grow up!

Guest Tawney

Teppic, maybe if you actually took the time to look through the options, you can easily turn off jumping and mouselook, even in multiplayer.

I used to like Legacy, but it has faded in my memory as even a decent port ever since they decided to throw in buggy features instead of fixing the features that were already buggy. Anyone remember the translucent water? Remember how long it took for it to get fully implemented? What about the SOFTWARE dynamic lighting? Hmmmm, oh yeah! Never happened. I have heard some good things are coming for Legacy, such as its new scripting and true 3d floors, but as of now ZDoom reigns supreme over Legacy by a long shot, both in single and multiplayer.

It's all a matter of opinion. I don't think zdoom does reign over legacy. I did say that I hadn't checked this btw so I think I can count myself excused. I suppose I could redownload it, install it, etc. but I won't.<BR><BR>Ok- the dynamic lighting (if you had followed the developement more closely) was being implemented by 'Carl' who moved on. This is a sad shame but you cant blame Fab or Boris for this. Fab is in England working with a Software developer, Hurdler does a fantastic job with the GL (easily the most supported DoomGL port there is), Som and Kege help out with bits and bobs and do a great job, and Boris is sitting finals which take a lot of time apparently. The translucent water is fixed btw- so you can't complain. It's been fixed quite a while too. True 3D floors is in.

Guest Twitch

The funny part is that ZdoomGL is possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen. The great MD2 guys are #1 the most undoom thing I have ever seen(hmm doom = 500 guys 1 room no problem but with MD2 you got a poly limit) #2they look so bad, the only one that looks good is the imp, and HA the weapons look like they were made from 10 polys. I beta doomarena which is for Zdoom, but wait ZdoomGL can't run it for some strange reason..maybe becuase it sucks? Any mod for Legacy or doom will run in legacy and glLegacy. Wow it only makes sense. Then there is EDGE, too bad the freaking display ON 6 DIFFRENT COMPUTERS is just some freaking bad VGA crap that makes doom look cutting edge. But legacy sucks right? To bad on nearly 20 computers I had no problems running or networking it. Now before you actually make fun of stuff spend time actually research and testing it on more then your own comp.

Guest Anonymous User

Zdoom does not rule. The models remind me of the lego sets I played with as a child. Legacy is a good, solid base with smooth openGL (the only decent GL port so far). I for one am sticking by legacy, if only because it's followers do not talk like a bunch of assholes. Dark Nation

Guest Daggah

Personally I would rank JDoom as probably, easily the best GL port out there, but SMMU is the best overall. And Legacy is STILL bug-ridden? Hmm, can't say I'm surprised to see that little tidbit. :)

Guest Genji

First of all.......Legacy is my port of choice. Does that make me a bad doomer? No. Its still DooM. Doom is doom. Should a port make it far different? Zdoom has gone a little overboard. It seems that we've gone through this problem before. Doom is starting to turn into another Quake. Legacy, as far as I can see, has been the strongest for this. The main components Legacy has added are: Jumping, Translucent Linedefs, Deathmatch, Splitscreen, OpenGL, a few (sucky) md2s, and boom support. Boom is a port that adds a few good features that id didn't quite squeeze into DooM. Now, I am not saying any other port is worse than Legacy. I have been with legacy for a year and a half now and its kinda hard to just leave something that is a part of you. If you have noticed, there is no real community for Zdoom. There may be a post *Hey Randy nice job* or *I have a problem with Zdoom cause it....* All you zdoomers have to do is shut your mouth and keep your head high for your choice of port, while us with legacyers will keep our heads held high for our favorite Port. -Genji

Dag heh the point was legacy isnt bug ridden anymore...

Guest Genji

In fact i don't think it ever was bug-ridden :)

>Personally I would rank JDoom as probably, easily the best GL >port out there, but SMMU is the best overall. And Legacy is >STILL bug-ridden? Hmm, can't say I'm surprised to see that >little tidbit. :) WTF are you talking about? Tawney gave up on Legacy a LONG time ago if he is complaining about Translucent water and the dynamic lighting, that was around 1.25 (if I'm not mistaken) and you know what? Legacy is 1.29 now and it's stable. I have not found ONE crashing bug in it at ALL. So go jump off a ledge Daggah, you havn't tried it, don't knock it.

I have read all the posts here and must say I thought people would have forgotten that one version of Legacy that was released about two years agon now(1.25). So what if one of the versions was full of bugs. It's not even close to buggy anymore. And thanks to Steven (SoM) it's even better than ever before. Tawney mentioned scripts and 3d floors. It's not completely finished yet. But it's very close. Som have almost finished the 3d floors (as in edge) and he's adding cool script capabilitys all the time. (I dunno when this will reach the public maybe the next relese or maybe later) Anyway. as all the other Pro-Legacy guys already said. Look at it now and judge it for what it is not what it was. And Dagger. Could you shut up and do something for a change?

Guest Daggah

And I remember having big problems with EVERY version of Legacy that I tried, so I stopped long ago. Trends usually continue, but if this one doesn't, I've still found better ports out there, so buzz off and don't take me so seriously. Jesus.

As a Mac-User I did run Legacy, MBF, SMMU and DosDooM under emulations and Legacy became my prefered port. (At no time I was unsure that the Mac is the supperior system over IBM-compatibles, but I did not became a "PC-hater", it was just an interesting experience to look into Dos). I just cannot wait to see Legacy in 832x624 (Mac-specific resolution / 800x600) with all its features in the asskicking speed my G4 can deliver. SMMU is a great port to, but has some "segmentation violation" errors. Its "Zooming"-function is really great and should be integrated in Legacy. The Legacy Team is the first who cares about us Mac-users. Go Legacy Team, Go!

As long as Legacy's sound doesn't stop breaking up in NT, as long as it still has godawful music and sfx support under win32, as long as its general bugginess persists(!) it'll be inferior to zDoom. I mean, come on, all the graphics eye candy are one thing, but if it doesn't even have good sound, ...

There are at least 3 outstanding sound bug reports that are going unnoticed on the sourceforge bug forum for Legacy... there are 20+ open bug reports. Yet what are they doing? Adding yet more features likely to be buggy and go unfixed.

Frankly, I like it that zDoom is going the Quake way - the console makes setting up keys and bindings a breeze. Legacy has a console. It's fucking translucent. It's hideous, slow, and unwieldy.

zDoom has mlook, jumping, etc etc etc ... all of which can be configured OFF. Legacy has non-Doom-like features that CAN'T!

The only "features" Legacy has over zDoom is the decent GL acceleration support and decals, and since I don't have a GL card, I don't care too much about the GL acceleration support anyway.

Guest Twitch

[AriocH] I feel bad for you, no SoF or Unreal Tournament or any other pretty game for you. You should really get one they add a lot to game especially doom(alpha blending mmmm) I got a riva tnt want it?

Guest Caleb

youre full of shit Teppic! ive got a soundblaster live 32bit sound card and doom legacy sounds like shit on it! the sound cracks up on it like isolated lightning for God's sakes. is your system an AGP or PCI computer?