Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Legacy News

Guest Caleb

so much hatred around the doom community, Jesus

Guest Tawney

About the dynamiic lighting. I know it was Carl who was supposed to implement it, but what pissed me off is he was like "I did this in 3 days!!!" and then a year later he didn't even implement the dynamic lighting in GL mode! Please don't tell me that didn't make you guys upset please. The funny thing is Legacy is MUCH older than ZDoom. I remember being a Legacy fanatic and checking out a fairly old version of ZDoom and thinking "Damn what a piece of junk port!!!" But now ZDoom has grown into something incredibly amazing. Scripting that is both powerful AND easy to use, runs silky smooth on my computer (Although other people have problems with it which is truly sad), networking which worked incredibly well for me, a powerful built in bot, another bot which is excellent as well. The extra .lmp file additions that make changing map attributres an absolute breeze. The stealth monsters a great addition. The ability for the server player to change attributes to a map with incredible ease. and the list could go on and on Also, the maker Randy Heit is one of the friendliest, most helpful people I have ever known. Whenever I email him, he replies quickly and effectively. Fab and Boris were vaguely close to being as helpful as Randy ever was. As for ZDoom being Quakeish, it isn't any more quakeish than Legacy is. Oh no, it has particles!!! It's Quake now!!!! pffft...It won't be Quakeish until I see the rocket launcher churn out rockets at 200 mph and I see Quad damages lying around. Plus, Skulltag is based on ZDoom. This is an excellent addition and incredibly fun to play, although the bots dont work on my computer ATM:( As for 3D floors, that's a nice addition, but I find polyobjects to be much more useful. That's all a matter of personal opinion. I'm not bashing Legacy at all. All of you keep saying "It's going to rock with these ne upcoming features", yet I still have not seen these new features for myself, and many of you have that seem to like Legacy. All I'm trying to imply is that at this very moment, ZDoom still has many more USEFUL features for editing AND playing than Legacy does. Simple as that. Please don't accuse me of a Legacy basher. It's still a decent port and has a speedy GL port. Probably one of the only two advantages of Legacy, with the other being more stability for low and computers.

Guest Daggah

Does the current linux version of Legacy (there IS a linux version of legacy, right? I'm too lazy to check :) ) support GL modes? Given that my main video card has to be intentionally crippled (Option no_accel required to be able to read stuff), if I want to play some DOOM without rebooting into Windows, I'll absolutely need to be able to use my Voodoo2s.

Guest Anonymous User

Yes, Legacy runs under Linux. With OpenGL on a Voodoo card. And it does so quite nicely. About 30 percent of our downloads on sourceforge are the Linux version. Give it a try! http://sourceforge.net/project/filelist.php?group_id=2479 I recommend you install Mesa3.2 and make sure you have modelines matching the voodoo resolutions in your XF86Config ... or check out the CVS version form the repository, this obsoletes fiddling around with the XF86Config as it has special voodoo support.

Guest Genji

By the way! You can speed up the console in Legacy Legacy can turn jumping and mlook off Try the win32 version...as in the latest one. The sound is perfectly fine on my old ISA Reveal Sound Blaster 500 There are really no bugs in legacy. Maybe if you do something like have the gravity high and jump (basically going down) it crashes. That is the one of the few bugs I have ever seen in 1.28+...... Oh yeah! In the dos version when I had my old computer the sound was just fine! You had to precache all of the sounds. Maybe some people didn't have 40 ram like i did. Thats why it was cracking. You did not try to look at the faq at all! Oya....Gl is good for us and useless to you. It ends up that you're sayin that Gl was a complete waste of time. Seems like your life was one if you can't accept how much dedication has gone into Legacy. jerk. Oh yeah for the rest of you legacy haters! I can tell you this. You will ABSOLUTELY REGRET YOUR HATRED TOWARDS LEGACY. I swear Legacy will come back and show that it is not obsolete. All of you are talking crap! You have not seen the latest version. Why?? You are too into your "Zdoom rules....Legacy's main headquarters is in a ditch" rule of thumb. If you would at least try the latest edition, you would get rid of version 1.23 that you have. Also, you would not use Zdoom as much. You need to look at these ports as a whole of users, not just one person at a time. All of these different systems have their aspects to mock or drool at. You may not like legacy at all, but thats okay. You can stay with Zdoom as much as you like. Just quit harrassing legacy if it isn't your game. If people like yourselves are going to try to mock up our legacy marines, fine. So much for a Doom Community if you ask me....

`Frankly, I like it that zDoom is going the Quake way - the console makes setting up keys and bindings a breeze. Legacy has a console. It's fucking translucent. It's hideous, slow, and unwieldy.`
The transparency is optional and the scrollspeed user defined.
Bugs aren't going unnoticed, the coders are spending more time fixing bugs then breathing.
Caleb: erm AGP or PCI? ermmm... well I've got an AGP port but it's empty... wtf's that got to do with it anyway! And I'm not full of shit it sounds fine on my SBlive.

Tawney: Yes of course we are upset the dynamic lighting didn't make it in. Hurlder put in dynamic lighting in GL since that but its a shame Carl's work wasn't at least but in as a test feature.

I must disagree with stealth monsters being good though. I hate them. To me they are a cheap effect and very irratating.

About Fab/Boris not being as helpful- you must remember that they are busy people with work and university, and english isn't they native language.

And I disagree about current features making zdoom better. Its all a matter of opinion, its what you want personally that decides that for you.

Dagger: yeah I think that the Linux Legacy port uses the linux mesa drivers for GL.

Guest Confusion

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

`zDoom has mlook, jumping, etc etc etc ... all of which can be configured OFF. Legacy has non-Doom-like features that CAN'T` <BR><BR>Name ONE.

Guest Genji

There's nothing wrong with me. The only thing wrong is how most of you can only say untrue shit about something...which has meant a lot to quite a few people. Just cut the crap. I don't want to hear it...as well as other doomers that use legacy.

Sound crackling and sound cut-out is on 1.29p8. I don't play with old-ass versions - only the latest for me! And before you say my machine is a piece of crap, it's a 337MHz Celeron with 256MB of RAM. My sound card? Sound Blaster. Eat your fucking words.

Guest Kege

ZDoom(GL) has LOADS of bugs, first, the midi doesnt work for me, when I start a map the midi temp goes way up, and after that the midi slows down and becames choppy. The sounds dont work very well either, about 50% of them are missing. ZDoomGL doesnt run full screen on me, if i'll put it to 800x600 full screen it will run on my desktop corner windowed, or actually it doesnt run because it keeps crashing all the time. Those bugs may be because I use Windows 2000, but thats not a good thing if ZDoom(GL) only works properly in Win9x and dos.Legacy works in dos,win9x,winNT4,Win2k,Linux, and theres versions coming for MacOS and BeOS as well. For Legacy, Pre8 has -never- crashed for me, and I have been playing loads of different wads with it with no problems at all. Sound works, midi works, gl works, everything works.

I'm on win2k also. I use zdoom 1.23b7. Everything works fine. Blablabla. I'm talking about zdoom here, not zdoomgl. zdoomgl is a piece of crap that isn't even supported by Randy and doesn't add bugfixes from 1.23 anyway. And keep in mind I don't have gl support so I play in software! Btw: if you have sounds breaking up, that's a known bug in 1.22 under NT (win2k), and 1.23 should fix it.

ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs LegacyZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy ZDoom vs Legacy, Zdoom vs ZDoomGL, Legacy vs glBoom, ZDoom vs ZDoom, Legacy vs Legacy DOS, glBoom vs prBoom, JDoom vs Legacy Does anybody know when a Legacy dedicated server version comes out ? I bet that time no one cares about "my port is better than yours". They all go fraggin'

If it doesn't work for you that doesn't mean it doesn't for me! IT DOES work for me... what can I say? And you avoided my other question Arioch.

I'm outta here. I can't beleive this crap. I'm gonna make grovy ass Nimrod and DM maps with my version of Legacy. (Note: I got a special version of Legacy with fully visable finished 3D floors and you don't. nje nje nje nje nje nje). BTW Legacy got great script that's not as but close as good as ACS. (but much easier to use IMO). Sounds in Legacy work perfect for me on all systems I've played it on. BTW my friend tried ZDGL on his system with voodoo2 and 450 Mhz and all kind of shit. It was extremely slow and choppy. Just cut it out and shave your headslike Ola.

I dunno. Why but I think this subject is getting nowere. So I though I'd mention that Doom Resurrection will kick ass.

And that the first post probably was the best on this forum. (Sorry Teppic, you came second in my book ;) It was.

Yip! Yip! Yippee!

Thanks ebola :) And to answer ariochs unasked question- all non-doom gameplay features can be turned off.<BR><BR>1) allowmlook 0<BR>allowjump 0<BR><BR>Any others?

Guest Anonymous User

Doesn't matter how cool your source port is. If you don't have talent, your projects are gonna suck. So your projects are gonna suck.

Ok Mr Anonymous user. I love to get unconstructive critics from someone who's a yellow fag who don't even gives his name.

But if you would give me your name I would probably not take this insult of your serious anyway.

Thank you for wasting your time.

Guest Anonymous User

for fucks sake, will you all just shut the hell up?

Because comment threads are a bit boring when nobody posts retard.

Guest Caleb

maybe its just the computer we're trying to run legacy and zdoom on, and not the coding itself......

Guest Anonymous User

Just get your anti-legacy asses out of here!

I didn't mean that Legacy sucks period. I meant Legacy sucks compared to zDoom. And since many of you get better results out of Legacy, perhaps I should revise to "I meant Legacy sucks compared to zDoom on my computer." Blah. But Legacy still sucks. :>

Guest Anonymous User

There is a fine line between zdoom and legacy zdoom has scripting. thats the only useful thing it has to me. I think the controls are really gay. does zdoom have split-screen? No! Why?? Randy heit didn't take it from Legacy or wants to make other "original" things for Zdoom. Legacy does not suck. My question is why you are saying this when I doubt you have even tried Legacy before, or at least one of the new versions. Get that into your head. You seen Doomgl. That port rather sucks. Its slow, the models are creepy, and it ruins doom. You're picking on Legacy cause you are afraid of something that may be just as good or better than zDoom. Obviously you are a liar. Legacy has a better GL port better sound splitscreen real tcp/ip, not "borrowed" from id 3d bridges are have landed We have scripting coming. Boom support. zDoom has more useless features that Legacy does, I am sorry to say that More and less useless gameplay options Supports far more machines. My friend cannot play Zdoom on his new computer because of his video card. Zdoom is useful and useless to some people. Same with legacy. If you still think you can come and brainwash others into thinking Legacy is a waste of a port you are wrong. Burn in hell and dance with your zdoom stealth imps.

Guest Daggah

Scripting...useless?

That's the biggest load of bull I've seen in a while. What makes Half-Life so cool? The scripted scenes. It's one of the coolest features ZDoom has as far as I'm concerned.

And you're also telling him to not come in here trying to brainwash people into hating Legacy and liking ZDoom...and then what do you do? You try to brainwash people into hating ZDoom and liking Legacy. You're a hypocrite.

Guest Daggah

Now I won't have to use Legacy :)

Guest Kege

Halflife is not Doom, Doom is already cool :) Scripting is a neat feature, but I like more to play 'classic' doom wads with straightforward gameplay, not fancy scripts and weird tricks.

Guest Confusion

"You're picking on Legacy cause you are afraid of something that may be just as good or better than zDoom..."

Here's a little revelation for you, nameless. Most of the people bashing Legacy DO SO FROM EXPERIENCE. You honestly don't think that everyone here is so stupid that they just come along and start abusing something they have no knowledge of? How stupid do you think we are? You have described many of the features of ZDoom as "useless". IF THEY WERE USELESS THEN THEY WOULDN'T BE IN THERE, WOULD THEY? Daggah pointed out that scripting is one of ZDoom best features. Few but the most hard-core old-schoolers would disagree with that. If you prefer Legacy, fine, but don't come here distributing meaningless anti-ZDoom propaganda. We don't want to hear it.