Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Vavoom

Victor sent word about a new Doom, Heretic and Hexen source port called Vavoom, by Jânis Legzdiòs. Already at a stable version 1.0 it has high resolutions, freelook, jumping, progs (?), translucency, a console, limited Dehacked support (whoop!) and several more goodies. What's more, it's available in DOS and Windows flavors, with a topping of Linux source and apparantly distributed under the GNU General Public License -which is a bit weird considering that the Hexen/Heretic source (unlike the Doom source) are not GPL'ed.

Guest Confusion

I just tried this. It's not bad, but it seems to have little in it that isn't available elsewhere. Still, I got into trouble for saying that about Legacy, so perhaps I should wait and see what becomes of it.

Heh. Wait and see.

Does anyone else get that feeling of "been there, done that?". But, as Confusion said, we shall just have to wait and see what becomes of this port.

I'm sure ZDoom or Legacy's first version didn't have a whole shitload of innovative features either.

Well said prow. Although this could be messy with the current licence conflict coming :/

Guest Anonymous User

Dear all, As you all might know software patents are a threat to the Open Source movement. Now the European Community is about to bring out a law which makes software patentable. THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN! Please follow the link below and sign the petition against SW patents. I do not want to imagine what happens when programmers of free software are no more able to use specific protocols which have been introduced by companies into the market and patented. In fact, this has already happened in the US to a guy which has been writing a free media player. He has been contacted by Micro$oft to remove the usage of a format which they have a patent on. Spread the word! Put it on the newpages, post it on the forums. Send out emails to all your friends! And of course, please fill in the form: http://petition.eurolinux.org If we put this news, it's also because DOOM ports are directly concerned by this

Hey, not really, Teppic, as Raven dosen't bother if you use their code for non-profit. I'm certainly signing that petition, though.

Guest Anonymous User

No, not really. All the game-specific code is in separate wads file in a lump called PROGS, ala QuakeC's progs.dat. Pretty cool, and certainly not something done in any port previously. That means it's even more customizable than EDGE, although you lose the ability to mix-and-match easily.

Guest Confusion

I like the sound of that.

And if you haven't already, sign that petition NOW!

Guest Omniverse

I plan to write software someday, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sign a petition saying that I don't have the rights to my own software.

comments like that just show your ignorance of how the GPL works. You do not lose the "rights to your software" infact you retain all copyright and ownership of the code you write. All that the GPL says is that other people can use your code and improve it, but if they do, they are compelled to release their own sources.

Omniverse, ph33r the day that Linux is THE desktop OS and copywrite a thing of the past- its coming, and it will eat you alive.

Guest Anonymous User

There is a difference between software copyrights and software patents. Copyrighting of software will NEVER be a thing of the past. There is Linux software out there that is copyrighted. There will be more in the future.

True.. The early versions of ZDoom did lack many features and seemed more like a limitied WIN32 port of DOSDOOM during its early stages.

Guest Anonymous User

Hey, so you plan to write software? Well, I'm doing that for some years now. I make money out of it but I also write SW under the GPL. And when I earn money with my SW it's because the customer buys it because it's good - and he can go to a competitor and buy his product as well. It's his to choose, and it's good that the customer has the choice to buy the BETTER product. It's good for the customer, for YOU! Now if I patent my SW no competitor can bring his version to the market, e.g. using the same formats, algorithms, etc. And if I happen to have the monopoly on this kind of SW I get a rich man and the customer will pay an awful lot of money for it - which is BAD for the customer - yes, it's still you! And now you might ask why I write free SW under the GPL as well? Because it's fun, I like coding, and I give the OSS community back for all the good things I received from it. Remember that a major part of the internet runs on free SW! The internet would by far not be the internet with all proprietary crap (some of it is still good, I admit). And don't mix up patenting SW with copyrighting it. There is a huge difference, believe me. And now some advice if you really want to write SW and sell it: write good SW; and if you happen to sell it in a country where SW is patentable, take care not to use the wrong algorithm or format - or you won't make money but spend it on lawyers ... The only use of SW patents is backing up monopolies and keeping others out of the business. And everyone driving a car in the states nowadays can tell how monopolies can affect prices - Exxons profit rose 300% recently, guess how? And this is NOT a monopoly formed by a single company!

I code too but nothing public, and when I release stuff its open source anyway.

Guest Anonymous User

i dunno about zdoom cause i dont use that port, but legacy *still* doesn't have much innovation, and it *still* sucks big donkey balls. :)