Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Hacx 3D

This is a bit off-topic here, but Nostromo has written down the history of Hacx 3D, the 3D engine sequal to the original Doom2 add-on which died during development. The article is spruced up with lots of screenshots, several of which I can't remember seeing before.

The screenies are quite impressive... Why the fuck hasn't any game company been interested by it.

The weapons and ennemies are just great and the level design seems cool... Too bad no-one was interested...

Guest Anonymous User

Oh, thanks for telling us. I had never heard of HACX 3D, and so I decided to read about it and got all depressed because the screenshots looked awesome and the levels were cool, and now I really wish that it had been finished, and no one will ever get to play it, and I would have been happy not knowing it ever existed, and I've started rambling...

Guest Anonymous User

some thing ive noticed with you doom nerds is this: you first make a project and then cancel it. just like iron fist, like ninja doom, and like this piece of shit hacx. i cant believe people actually payed to play hacx. WHY DONT YOU ALL FORGET ABOUT DOOM. IT WAS A GREAT GAME, but now we have quake 3, half life, sin, shogo mad, and great half life mods. You all are workin hard for nothing! The more improvements you all keep making in these doom2 wads, the more it becomes similar to what is already made! Go out to the mall or something, get a girlfriend geesh.. some people spend way to much time on the computer

*sigh* I hate seeing the screenshots of a game that I'm never going to get to play. I really, *really* pine for Doom3D and am *soooo* frustrated that I'm never going to get to play it, at least, in it's current form (if you don't know, the current work is being left behind and the team migrating to q3a, afaik).

And to AC.. we play it because it's fun, and mod doom because it's fun. Go out to the mall or something, get a girlfriend geesh.. some people spend way to much time on the computer - well, I don't think I do, and I don't feel the need to become a mallrat or let my hormones rule me either.

Guest Fanatic

Am I wasting my time? I'm doing something I enjoy. It's fun and gives my creativity a real workout.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean we are to leave it to collect dust. I don't understand why some of you people (whom never ever post who you are...) want to discourage people from doing DOOM add-ons. I do it because it's a lot of fun, not because I plan on making money from it. I will use it for my resume, but I don't expect anything to come of it.

If you don't like what we are doing here, why do you stop by? It seems to be the opposite of what you preach. There are a lot of Quake 3, Half Life, Sin, and Shogo sites out there for you to enjoy, if you really dislike us that much. I can't imagine you have grown weary and bored with them already.

Anyway, HacX and HacX2 were badly coordinated and timed. HacX took a year too long, and HacX2 changed engines too many times, in a feeble attempt to please a potential publisher. It's very hard to get people in sync when we all live all over the world, in different time zones, and never together in an office.

It was a real challenge for me, being a major contributer with music, having to convert sounds from PAK to UAX, and then ending up with basic WAV with the Genesis engine, not to mention directing the coders and being a bug hunter. Lots of converting all the time, and adapting to each engine's quirks.

I think publishers weren't interested because of our slow production. We had so many people come and go, contributing pieces of the project, most incomplete. Changing engines a lot caused major backtracking.

Guest Anonymous User

HAHAHAHAHA! I think you guys have become bored with Q3A and UT(not Half-Life, Half-Life is cool!). This just goes to show that Doom is the best game ever, and no matter how old it gets, people will always love it and make new add-ons for it and most importantly play it. I mean, how many people do you think still play Quake 1 or II after Q3A has come out? Yet plenty of people still play Doom even though new games have come out and it has been given up for dead by the rest of the world. That's the true measure of how good a game is.

Erm, just 'caus the Ninja Doom page is only updated once every half a year ago doesn't mean the project has been cancelled. And what about all the projects that HAVE been released? Hell Revealed, Mordeth E1, Memento Mori 1 & 2, the Wolfendoom series, Requiem, STRAIN, Invasion 1 and 2, Insertion, Gothic DM 1 and 2, FFi, Twilight Zone 2, the Darkening E1 and E2, Batman TC, Execution, Last Day on Earth, and the dozens of others. And don't tell me that no Quake (2), Half-life or whatever mods have ever been cancelled, because that would obviously be a complete load of crap. And how the hell can improvements make something MORE similar? Duh, it would make it LESS similar. Improvements=better=different. Also, try stop being a coward and actually tell us who you are before this senseless bashing. Why the hell are you here in the first place?

Guest Elviele

Damn, I wish I can somehow show support to Hacx3d, oh well. Btw what was Neo-Doom supposed to be?

Guest Anonymous User

I'm not in any way "active" in the Doom community, but thought I could jump into this discussion and tell you my opinion. The reason why I do that is because I didn't like what "Anonymous User" (why don't you give us your name, ugh ?), yeah, you, the one who posted on Monday Jun 19 09:15:22 2000, has said. Being part of the Quake1 community, which some people also consider as "dead", I think I can understand how members of the Doom community can feel when they read this kind of bullshit. First of all, a game is not dead until there is NOONE playing it anymore. As long as there are a couple of people playing it, it's still alive. You (yeah, you) must know very little about how the web works to post such nonsense about Doom modders wasting their time. The web is about bringing people together who share the same interest(s). However old a game can be, if there are enough people who still like it and are ready to develop modifications for it, the web will offer them webspace for them to do so and, quite frankly, NOONE cares if you like it or not. If you don't, just leave. Noone forces you to stay here. You're probably the kind of person who sticks to PlanetHalf-Life and PlanetQuake thinking that you have the best view possible of the world modding community. In the same way as you encourage us to get away from our computers and get a taste of real life, I'll encourage you to look around the net a bit more and you'll then (hopefully) realize that there are THOUSANDS of people working on mods for games that are a couple of years old and that there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people interested in them. Most of us here know that. You don't, apparently. PlanetQuake, with its heavy stress on everything that is new and shiny (read : Quake3) is not the center of the world. I really advise you to understand that and look around a bit. Developing a mod is fun in itself and I do believe that people who decide to go into the modding of the latest games in order to achieve fame are often bound to fail. You don't mod to become famous, you do it because you enjoy doing it. Of course it's nice to know that there is a community to back you up, but this community doesn't need to be huge. Even if the Doom community (and the Quake1 one, for that matter) does not APPEAR to be as active as before, there are still THOUSANDS of people who are interested in it, and this is enough for it to still evolve. The real "nerds" are those who go for the latest games because they think it's trendy and they think they would look stupid playing older stuff. I own UT,Quake3 and Half-Life and love them. However, I also love Quake1 and Doom and I'm always happy to see a good mod come out for them. The real "nerds", once again, think a game is "dead" once its graphics are outdated. What you might want to understand is that graphics aren't everything. Speed and gameplay are also variables you should take into account. Fun, too, of course. Kingpin, for example, looks great but, when it comes to deathmatch, I still believe Doom beats it hands down. Quake3 looks very nice, but, let's admit it, it brings very little to the genre. You'll have to understand that going for the fashionable stuff and making fun of the old stuff doesn't make you look smarter, quite the contrary. And to finish, I just wanted to add I found it funny that you should mention Sin and Shogo in your list of the "latest games". You know, from where I stand, I think the Doom community is way more active than the Sin or Shogo one (just look at how often Ritualistic and PlanetShogo are updated compared to this site). Are you mentionning these games because you own them ? You probably are. And you probably like them even though - let's admit it - they can't really be considered as "hits" (particularly as far as Shogo is concerned). Well, you'll then have to concede that you, like us modders, stick to games that aren't trendy. I'm sure you wouldn't go to Shogo and Sin forums and claim that the games suck. So please, once again, don't do it here. It's as simple as that, really ... Coco T http://www.crosswinds.net/~noricoco/neurotic-homepage.htm

Ummm, don't you mean the Anonymous User who posted on Monday Jun 19 10:20:15 2000 ??? :|

Guest Xenocide

That anon user said that we start a project, then it dies. true. but that implies that it never happens in the quake/half life community. Er.. I dis-agree

Guest Confusion

You're a really, really stupid person. "some people spend way to much time on the computer"...and who the fuck are you to decide how much time is "to much" (or, as I assume you meant, *too* much).

"WHY DONT YOU ALL FORGET ABOUT DOOM. IT WAS A GREAT GAME, but now we have quake 3, half life, sin, shogo mad, and great half life mods." Yes, we do have newer games, but no, we still like DOOM. Why do you assume that simply because a new game comes out, it makes all others of it genre obsolete? You can't possibly see these games as simply updated versions of DOOM! These games are DIFFERENT. You cannot possibly say that a game *must* die at some point, simply because it's old. As long as add-ons are still being made, THERE IS MORE TO DOOM. Mr Monday Jun 19 17:22:19 2000 put everything perfectly. You are honestly a sad person. I pity you. But, if I get half a chance, I'll riddle your machine with virii and laugh as your data dissolves into the dark dank pit of oblivion.

You really are one of the most ludicrous people to exist upon this sphere. Do us all a fovour and piss off.

Wow, Confusion. You're pissed. <P>Unlike some of you, when I read his insulting comments about doom, I just shook my head in annoyance and ignored him.

Guest Coco T

Yeah, I did mean mister Monday Jun 19 10:20:15 2000, not mister Monday Jun 19 09:15:22 2000. Sorry about that ... Hey, I got myself a real name ... cool, I'm not mister Monday Jun 19 17:22:19 2000 anymore ! :-P

Yeah seriously Confusion, these anonymous users really know how to pull your string, strike your chord, ring your bell, rattle your cage, bake your cake, split your wood, tear your hair, wet your whistle, you get the idea... :-b

Guest Confusion

Hyena says "Unlike some of you, when I read his insulting comments about doom, I just shook my head in annoyance and ignored him."

Well, I would dearly love to have done so, but sadly when someone with an IQ apparently well under double digits comments on a subject like this...well. I just find it so annoying, these sad, sorry new-agers who refuse, or find it impossible, to accept that something doesn't have to be brand spanking new for it to still be enjoyable. Looking at his argument there, I suppose that all classic novels more than a year or two old ought to be thrown out as well, because we have *new* books now.

That's a good point, what you said about the books, but the thing is, this really has been said and done many times. Don't worry about these anonymous users! They're intentionally doing this just to frustrate you! They know very well why we all stick to DOOM. :-b

Guest DarkWing

I read all post by Anonymous User - Monday Jun 19 10:20:15 2000, and I shook my head in disbelief. I agree wholeheartedly with the responses you guys made to him :). It seems to me that Mr. Anonymous User here believes in "new being better". I throw a fastball question at you Mr. Anonymous User, what happens when a better game than half life, quake 3 and all those other games you mentioned comes out? I bet you are going to recieve it with all of your attention and suddenly start saying that half life, quake 3, Shogo, etc.. all suck and are old and shouldn't be played anymore. Man, talk about a capricious individual. Some people. Sheesh.