Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

glBSP v1.8 Released

Andrew Apted has released v1.8 of the gl-friendly nodesbuilder glBSP, fixing "a major bug causing thin (but ugly looking) gaps to appear between some subsectors, and some other problems". This nodesbuilder can be used building levels for OpenGL Doom port. It operates in accordance with the 'gl_friendly nodes' specification which will compute the polygons needed for drawing fast and very easy. So far the only OpenGL port that adheres to this new specification is EDGE.

The binaries and source for DOS, Windows and Linux have been mirrored at our utilities section, as usual. Andrew Apted has also updated the 'gl_friendly nodes' specs, introducing a new format for theGL_VERT lump. This new format hasn't been implemented yet.

Guest Anonymous User

hey what is with these enhancements for doom? i remember when it was simple, we added some textures, new sounds, but no new gravity or new water enhancements??? that totally ruins the point of doom. i was thinking about making a wad but then i thought, "oh.. all these new TCs have gravity and water effects... thats like playing quake!" There is no use for me to make a wad.. even though it is more fun than those ZDoom wads.

Guest Anonymous User

The doomsday engine supports glBSP. It says on the Jdoom webpage. BTW anon user: People still make levels that don't use the source ports. A lot of use the ports just for the improved graphics. Why don't you make a level w/o these effects to show that good levels can be made w/o ports. which is true..

Guest Fanatic

Are you making levels for everyone else, or because you like to make levels?

If you want to make a level using normal DOOM, please do so! Don't deny yourself the pleasure! There's no rule or law that says you *have* to use new features of the source ports.

Guest Anonymous User

as fanatic says you don't have to use the new effects. the TCs chose you use them because they are trying to create something new hence TOTAL conversion. a map can still be made with the old engine but many people will still chose to use a new engine as it allows things like high res video etc. but some map makers like the freedom that things like 3d floors give them in creating a level sure some of these features are so new they don't quite come out right at the moment that because people are not used to using these enhancements. but then again the first custom doom levels were of nowhere near the standard of those that have been created more recently even without the new engines. give it time and the use of new features will be better (with less of the lets use that feature because it hasn't been done before and more of let use it because it would be add to the gameplay here). go ahead and create some cool custom maps which work with the standard doom binaries. if you want to add an effect you can't make work in the original you can then start looking at the alternative engines see if they have what you want. noone is forcing you to use the new ports but if you want them then it is an option. it seems a stupid idea to me to make a doom level around a port. the ports have evolved around what level/TC makers/players wanted. not everyone wanted the same things hence the number of ports but many have seen what can be done and have decided that it is worth not running with the original id releases if you agree is a matter of oppinion(eg ive seen people say that qdoom didn't need to be 3d really but having been playing it for some time im absolutly sure it would be nowhere near as good without them sure some use it unneeded eyecandy but others add to the gameplay a lot).

Guest Anonymous User

Worship me!

Guest Caleb

guy's take a look At the price tag on the computers you bought! i sp[enmt $2000 on my computer with a vid card and im damn well gonna get the most out of it! i love opengl doom

I must admit I don't use new effects much in my levels. Actually my on-hold legacy DM levels had some corona effects but I made it so the level was fully playable in original doom without a dehacked patch.

Guest Anonymous User

You probably still think masterbation is the greatest and still use stone wheels too.