Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Id's New Offices

Guest Anonymous User

So who the hell really cares where their offices are? It doesn't matter where they produce their mediocre games.

He's the only person in the entire world who thinks Q3's graphics suck, even the Unreal Tournament fans agree that Q3 has better graphics. I suppose the next thing he'll say is that the entire Quake engine sucks..

Super pics of Id´s Headquaters (now my HardDrive´s available space is a little lower :-). For some more pics of the old Headquater look at the Doom Help- Service http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/usavisit/ Very good pics of the id-crew.

Guest Daggah

And I never said Q3's graphics suck. I said that in my opinion, its models suck. Its artwork on those models rock, and its textures rock. Buzz off, Nick.

`even the UT fans..' heh you've segrigated people who have a different opinion to you. I prefer UT to Q3 and I reckon the Q3 graphics look weird- the curves were done in halflife to better effect and the wizzbang sprite weapons look no better than dooms plasma gun. Imho.

Hmm, I'm afraid that's not what you said before. From http://www.doomworld.com/comments/773.shtml "I find the level design, gameplay, models, textures, and skins to ALL be crap". Obviously you're rather confused... Textures and skins would seem to be pretty much all the graphics in Q3 to me (unless you count sprites and the background pictures in the menu, etc)

Guest Anonymous User

Lets have a look at some of the games that former IDers have made... Abuse. Hmm, shite. Daikatana. Worst FPS ever? The only remotely good looking game that springs to mind involving a former IDer is American McGee's Alice, but then again, Daikatana looked good when all we had was screenshots. If you think about it, the only good thing about Doom, besides E1 and Bobby Prince's music, was the engine and the graphics, and the three people responsible for those are still there. The current level designers at ID are (IMO again) a lot more skilled than the old ones; get the new lot to make some Doom 2 levels and I'm sure they'll be a LOT better than the originals.

Guest Gorc

When I first played Daikatana I thought it was Unreals engine. I don't think its quite a bad as everyone says it is. Its not a 'revelation', but it is good in its own ways. Alice never looked good to me at all. The whole idea is just odd, and I think it will be horrible. Besides, what has comparing these games got to do with IDs new office?

Guest Daggah

Might I have been a bit pissed then? Hmm? Well, gee, there's no reason why...bah.

Like I said before, buzz off, Nick. I do think its textures rock. I think that the skins on the models are what makes them look good (check out Stomped.com's renderings of the Q3 models and look at them very closely...they're blocky!). I think the level design sucks, and I think the game design sucks.

Nick, I don't remember you being an id Software fanboy. Oh well, Carmack's got another lover, I guess.

Guest Daggah

This whole thing has me disliking one of the people that I had a good deal of respect for before. Nick, I say we just call a truce...I won't talk about this crap any more on these forums/comments pages (don't get pissed if I talk about it on other forums or flame me though), and you stop arguing with me, deal? I don't like seeing myself argue with the great Nick Baker.

Truce?

Guest Mattrim.

Fuck. Get a room, you two. ;)

I'll agree to disagree, but I don't think all ID games are great. Quake 1, for instance, is probably their worst FPS IMO, the only good thing about it was the weapon balance, the graphics and levels were generally very poor. And the less said about Catacomb Abyss, the better... =p

Guest Anonymous User

UT's graphics are superior to q3's... and i know the majority of the Unreal Tourney community agrees with me.

Guest Gorc

Unreal Tournament to me is better at single player gameplay. When playing the single player game, you begin to actually sneak around more, try to catch the bots un aware. And its hard to do. And of course, theres 'Assault', the ultimate blend of 'Team Deathmatch' and 'Single Player, mission based objectives'._________Quake 3 on the other hand, has better online gameplay. And the bots have a bit more personality. Theres also more variety in the skins avaliable. But they ARE different games. Quake 3 has a faster deathmatch, and is more basic. I have features of both that I like. I think having the Quake 3 menu in a Doom mod would be cool. And Quake 3's graphics ARE better. They are more colorful. They have more variety. But UT's Assault is good too. I'm sitting on the fence here......

Guest Daggah

As a member of the UT community, I would like to know where you got that. And, of course, it depends on what viewpoint you're looking at. Technically, Q3 is the superior game. Visually, I've seen some damn good-looking levels in both. One of my favorite UT levels (for eye-candy) is an Akuma level that makes use of Q3 textures and Q3-style arches.

However, one thing nags me...you say that Q3's bots have more personality...what, because they talk to you? Puh-lease. Q3's bots suck. Even the Q3 fan(boy)s will admit it. With some (easy) customization, you can give plenty of personality to UT's bots.

Guest Gorc

About as far as UT's bots have gotten 'personally' with me is those annoying "DIE, BITCH" messages. I switch them off. But the game is good, and user made skins can make the whole thing better. And I do agree about the Akuma level. As for UT's graphics.... has anyone else noticed this? = go back and play the original Unreal. At the same resolutions, I think Unreal actually looks better than UT. But of course theres a reason for this (there is to everything): UT is designed to run over the internet, so speed is crucial. And Unreal ran pretty poorly over the net. So, I'm still on the fence. And I still say Q3's bots have more personality. I guess it IS just up to personal taste. And I still don't see what this whole discussion has got to do with ID moving offices!!!!