Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Doom 3 Multiplayer Test?

I saw over at the Shugashack that some people have apparently noticed a server on Gamespy running "DOOM 0.01 win-x86-debug Aug 9 2000" on the map "x_doom2." Here's a screenshot so you can judge for yourself. If this isn't some sort of trick it makes me wonder just how complete the engine is if they have multiplayer maps that people can run around in.

PR trick if you ask me in my pants. For doom2 they sent various magasines and review stations bags full of animal giblets...

Guest Anonymous User

Did anyone stop to think whether or not this was a csdoom server?

-Medgur

Guest Anonymous User

that was just me fuckin around, sorry, didnt think anyone would actually believe it =)

-Mark

Guest Anonymous User

(I never looked at the screenshot, just caught the mention of x_doom2 as the map). Or maybe it's a heavily modified csdoom server designed to make it look like Quake3 - Xian's got nothing better to do now that his current projects are in limbo... ;)

-Medgur

Guest Anonymous User

./qstat -default q3s 192.246.40.207:27960
ADDRESS PLAYERS MAP RESPONSE TIME NAME
192.246.40.207:27960 1/ 8 x_doom2 112 / 0 base Duffy

sorry about the pooring formatting

Guest Anonymous User

magazine is spelled with a z dude not an s.Der

Guest Anonymous User

Couldn't it have been a friend of id's trying out a Q3 mod they made on their computer?

Guest Anonymous User

When Romero came into #doomroom (a year or two ago), wasn't his IP address something like 192.246.something? If so, could Ion Storm and id be doing Doom 3 together? WILL TOM HALL'S ORIGINAL DOOM BIBLE BE USED FOR DOOM 3? wHy Is EvErY oThEr LeTtEr CaPiTaLiZeD? Who shot J.R.? Where's my lunch? NOW YOU DIE!

Guest Anonymous User

I bet its ID testing out maps on a quake3 server because they don't have the doom engine finished yet.

Guest Anonymous User

Resolved 192.246.40.207 to dhcp-207.idsoftware.com

Guest Anonymous User

Could be that carmack has a really basic version of the engine done, with some network stuff in it as well. You can see on the player list that Xian from ID is the only one on it... As for the map, its propably only a box map of some sort, not too much. I guess they were just testing D3's networking shit, and somehow the server leaked out on gamespy (maybe because the server used was a quake3 server on the gamespy list)

Guest Anonymous User

Ten-to-one bet it's just a Quake3 mod. The server was using the Quake3 port, 27960, not to mention the little Q3 icon in the corner. Each id game has reserved a separate port (Doom was 666, don't remember Quake or Quake2) and the id team said they'd remake Doom3 from scratch.

But I suppose if the models were compatible then they could test them out with the Quake3 engine.

Excal_Z

Guest Anonymous User

I think Carmack meant the "rendering" when he said from scratch, they will probably reuse Q3A's network code and core structure.

Guest Anonymous User

Yes its true.. its just ID testing a map with the q3 engine and playing around with the networking code. Carmack can't code a new engine first zip (as he is!!). the new Doom engine is going to use all of the upcoming technology inbeded in tomorrows 3d cards :) I also was able to ping this server and I also got a screenshot so its no bull...

- DensitY

Carmack said he "will be making the new technology all from scratch" so dipshits, this means there is nothing Quake III related here... now quit saying its a Doom test cause theres nothing in a game or level in jsut two months. =)

Guest Anonymous User

I'll bet it's just id screwin' with people's heads to see what kind of ruckus they can start. :)

Guest Anonymous User

I've done a little research into this argument. It seems that Gamespy will not tell me any info behind this server. But, I've been looking around, andI found some fellows at other gaming sites that have tipped me off, saying that they had recently seen the same thing.

Something quite shocking, really....
It appears that the server is genuine ID software, and the game is actually not Quake 3 Arena. As a matter of fact, the game doesn't have to be Quake 3 at all. There are several ways to load other games besides quake 3 in the Quake 3 server listings, and Gamespy knows it.
Plus, if you read the name correctly (Xian), that is an official Id software name, actually, its someone who works for Id software... hence "xian@idsoftware.com", or idsoftware.com/xian

But, what really has me puzzeled, as I am shure you are too, why the hell would id software be running a network game of the new DOOM game over Gamespy? Why wouldn't they just run itover their network within Id software's building itself....

It's not like anyone else has the new DOOM game yet, so why would they be running it over Gamespy?

I'm making a leap of faith here, but the reason for that is they could possibly be testing the ping for internet play, as well as other networking details, and therefore, gamespy would be the best way to take for testing such things...

I think we will all know soon here in the near future....

Justin Strunk