Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Doom 3 Music In Spin

Saw this on Blue's:

Writer Matt Schwenk sends word that he's currently working on an article for Spin Magazine about the recent news that the soundtrack for id Software's upcoming Doom title will be composed by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor. He's interested in hearing what hardcore gaming fans think (and who you would pick to do the soundtrack), so if you'd like the opportunity to be quoted in the article send your thoughts to DOOM@spinmag.com.

I'm sending in links to Doomworld articles and comments threads right now...

Guest Mattrim.

Bobby Prince sycophants of the world, unite! That, or realize that a Prince-scored orchestration may not not be able to adequately support DOOM3's visual horrors.

Guest Anonymous User

i don't who makes the music as long the music is not heavy metal,rock and roll or contry. cause these music would mess doom up. if they put these in doom 3, i'll take the game and smack all of them upset the head for putting them in. they should put the music that right for the game not heavy metal music that they think every like, the gamers. some with no singing in it. i'll make my own music and burn it on the CD before i listen to that kind of music like they did with quake 2. if yall don't like what i said, bring it on.

I don't care what it is either, unless it's f**king garage or house music, gah. But that's not very likely :)

I'm for variety in music - some dark industrial in decayed factories, gothic industrial/rock in hell spooky music in abandoned stores and some faster and lauder electro rock in space station. The music should keep up with fast gameplay of Doom.

Guest Anonymous User

yep

Guest Anonymous User

I'm actually fairly sick of the overused "industrial ambient" game soundtrack style. :/

I like like to see a lot more work done on dynamically-changing, context-sensitive music! In otherwords, a sort of mod-based soundtrack that made changes in real-time based on the situation. For example: quiet, spooky music plays as you sneak through a dungeon... then when you're spotted by the enemy, the soundtrack makes a smooth transition into to a more "exciting" part of the tune... then if you run into a big boss monster, the music again builds to it's peak.

THAT is what game music should be like! :)

Guest Anonymous User

I HATED NIN IN QUAKE!!!!!!! AAAAHHH!!!!

Guest Argh!

Oops, the post about dynamic, context-sensitive music was mine. I didn't realise I had to re-register my account when they changed the boards. :)

They are developing graphics and sound effects, why not music? deforming music would be cool.

Guest Anonymous User

I would honestly like to see a combined effort from the original DOOM composer, Bobby Prince, and Trent Reznor. The soundtrack for Quake 1 had the mood and ambience, but the distinctness of DOOM music can only be duplicated by Bobby Prince.

Perhaps an orchestral/movie kinda soundtrack would be cool. John Williams could do DOOM justice, and we all know how memorable the Star Wars soundtrack is.

Oh, and maybe throw some Rammstein in there for good measure. :)

Guest Wyvern

That was me. :)

Guest Wyvern

Perhaps a System Shock 2 type of score would be cool. I don't mean the style like techno, I meant the way it changes depending on the scenario, like the "mod" anonymous poster said. Dark Forces was the first to use this in a FPS, I think, and I believe that it would work really nicely in a DOOM game.

Wyvern and Argh! are right about dynamic music. It would actually introduce something new to the FPS genre; at the moment dynamic music has only really ever been used in RPGs, and even then the only companies who really did it effectively were Looking Glass and Origin.

Guest AcidBurn

I like NiN, I think it is kinda cool that Reznor is doing the soundtrack, however the soundtrack must vary from Quake, I was kinda dissapointed with Quake's soundtrack, only a few tracks were good, maybe mixing it up a bit, or id can do what they did for Quake 2, Rob Zombie, Jer Sypult, and Sonic Mayhem. I like the idea of having more than one band, every band sounds different, id can use like 5 bands. My choices for Doom III are: NiN, Bobby Prince, Metallica, Orgy, and Jer Sypult.

Maybe they can also throw in a couple of tracks that were like PS DooM, those tracks were good.

I loved Jer Sypult's Track in Quake 2 "Climb"
it just put you in the mood to kill some Tanks.

NiN would be good for "Gloom Factor" for some reason Trent shies away from hard music in video games, tracks like Self-Destruction are awesome.

Orgy-I have theyre albulm and it's one of my favorites, listen to it in quake & quake 2 all the time.

Metallica- cause they rule.

Guest fod_vile

Morbid Angel should do the music for Doom3
Just look at past works: Domination , Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, For the Love of Lava they got to do it :)

Guest Wyvern

AcidBurn's got a nice pick, Jer Sypult. His rendition of E1M8 that I have is nicely done. I've heard nothing else he's done, but from that one song it'd be pretty cool.

Above all else, I think that the music should still have that sorta "WTF" feel at times. Take "In Sandy's City" for example. Harpsichord??? THAT is weird, but it really worked for some odd reason.

Even if a lot of the music is new (which I know it will be), they should throw remixes of a few old tracks in there for that sense of "welcome back". Hearing a new version of E1M8 would be nice, as well as the world-famous E1M1. Hearing that with real instruments and in the very first level would be really spiff!

They might even feel like using songs from the MM series for inspiration. A few of those were so good that I had to get a really good MIDI card, record them to WAVs, and burn 'em to a CD. Hearing DOOM music using realistic MIDI instruments in your car is great.

If they do resort to using metal at some parts, at LEAST turn treble and bass all the way up and middle all the way down so there will be a nice chunky effect. Sonic Mayhem's guitars have too much static. Turn the tube crunch down a notch, for crying out loud! :)

Guest Anonymous User

ambient and g0a.

Jer is still around; he goes by the nick "mindgrid" now (site at <A HREF="[url="http://www.mindgrid.net/">mindgrid.net</A>)."]http://www.mindgrid.net/">mindgrid.net</A>).[/url]
<br><br>
In fact, he just released a sound pak (no music, just sfx) for Q3A at <A HREF="[url="http://www.mindgrid.net/quake3/">mindgrid.net/quake3"]http://www.mindgrid.net/quake3/">mindgrid.net/quake3[/url]
<br><br>
And yeah, Jer doing the Doom 3 score would be pretty damn cool.

Ok Ling, that turned out really goddamn gross... it looks like you have the same comment code as us... :/

Guest giltygear

TooL. Listen to "AEnema" and play original vanilla DooM at the same time. It all goes perfectly with one another.

Guest Anonymous User

someone I know just floated the link to the comments here, and I was quite shocked to see acidburn and wyvern mention me...

i appreciate your comments greatly...

its hard to believe that 'Climb' and the E1M8 cover 'Sign of Evil' were done three to four some-odd years ago...

in my opinion, Trent Reznor will undoubtfully impress me even more than he did with the QUAKE soundtrack. the new DOOM is quite a ways off, and it sounds like its pretty solid that Trent is going to be a part of it...

though he was involved with the sound effects of QUAKE in some manner, floating around ive heard that he did the music for QUAKE in a weekend...

two to four days...

that is quite impressive... the title-track, intermission track, introduction/endlevel track, and base theme songs were absolutely great. he has said before that when he did the soundtrack, he only meant for it to work with the game--not as a standalone cd... though sometimes i find myself popping it in for ideas and inspiration...

i think with the amount of time left in development, and with Trent's eagerness to actually take time to 'score' something like a movie, i have a feeling that the 'score' for the new DOOM will be a turning point for music in games--and how knows.... maybe it will even be up there with the movie soundtracks and scores?

-jer sypult
http://www.mindgrid.net/

Guest Wyvern

Now I gotta loop that version of E1M8 for hours. Thanks a lot. ;)

Guest Anonymous User

...I don't care who does it (Trent is a good choice, IMHO)...*JUST AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO ACTUAL SINGING/WORDS!* I'd also prefer "mood music" to any metal (re: Quake1 and NOT Quake2).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Guest Anonymous User

I would dislike it very much if this Hard Rock music is included in Doom 3. You really shouldn't have to listen to this loud music while sneeking through the levels and awaiting a monster or a horde of monsters to attack you. What do you do normally when being in danger? Do you take a loud hard rock band with you around to show every monster that you come? No! You hold your breath, sneak around and perhaps hear a moody and soft music like those in the movies when tension has to be created. You have to hear the spotting sound of the monsters or the breathing sound of them before they attack, and even the dropping blood sound (or whatever that was in Doom 1&2. Those breathing sounds really scare me, and they should also be included in Doom 3 8-)

KenT

Guest Anonymous User

Nightmare and Wyvern:

You guys mean with the changing music the things they do on the Playstation alot? Like in Syphon Filter (2) Metal Gear etc.. That would most certainly be cool and would get your heart pounding heavily

Well, looks like the D3 soundtrack is going straight to hell. Hopefully the game can avoid this (figuratively speaking... ;)