Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Darkening E2 Final Version

... Has been officially released. Or so is officially stated, at the official Darkening Episode 2 web site. This means that no new versions will be released, ever again. What that means is that COMPET-N speedrunners and other DOOM-players of such species are now encouraged to make Darkening E2 recordings, such as Ultra-Violence 100/100 runs, Nightmare 100%-Secret runs, Pacifist Tyson runs, and so on, without fear of having their recordings fade into obsoleteness. Also, the bug fixes in the new version have been reiterated on the front page for all to refer to. And remember, make those recordings!

Ooh, it's the completely official 100% final version of Darkening 2, as opposed to the official 100% final version, which as it happens is not final.

*Hyena downloads again.

Hyena, no need to download again, it's identical to the version uploaded to cdrom.com a few weeks ago.

I don't think Darkening 2's levels were very suited to speedruns or 100/100 demos. Just my opinion though.

You right in a way prower - some of the levels are very large. But even hardass megawads like hell revealed have demo sets and it's something I'd personally be interested in seeing. Patience is something demo runners possess anyways. Or maybeye it's the other way around since they are in such a hurry to beat the level. hehe.

Just to clear up AndrewB's semi-confusing update (and perhaps it was confusing when I updated on the DE2 webpage) - I uploaded DE2 ver 1.1 a few weeks ago but was unable to update the site regarding it's release. I first had to wait to get the PW from Ola and then I was having login problems with doomworld. I just wanted to update the webpage so that everyone knew it was a bonafide release and not some quick hack by me. :)

As for the texture wad: I am really unsure Tarin, sorry. Obviously that is in Ola's hands. From my understanding it's still a possibility but not a guarantee. Ola is still bogged down with RL and he doesn't even have Doom2 installed. This info is about two weeks old and for all I know it's changed - so basically you should email him with that inquiry.

If the texture WAD is not released I might make a set of 100% original textures that look similar and use the same names as Ola's so that people can make their own Darkening E2-ish levels.

These textures probably won't be as good as Ola's 'caus he's a much better artist than me, and I'm sure he uses better programs than plain old Paintshop Pro like I do :)

Guest Mattrim.

...isn't the texture WAD embedded within Darken2.WAD? ;)

Mattrim, yes, but Ola doesn't want people to use that, even with doom 2 -file darken2.wad your.wad (don't ask me why, I dunno :) )

Guest Mattrim.

At least they, being level authors, can get a start on the editing and creation of their levels and not have to wait for the final texture WAD build...they can just use what is embedded within Darken2.WAD.