Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Hrm... the entries have been slowing down recently. In the last day and a half I have only gotten one stinking entry. What, is everyone getting tired? Does the prospect of a brand new Voodoo 5 5500 AGP not entice you? Well bah to you then, someone else will take home the silicon in your place. So far I have gotten approximately 32 entries, so your chances of getting into the megawad, if not winning outright, are still quite good. Start those editors!

Afterglow is off to university today, so wish him luck. May your newfound knowledge not stop you from making kickass Doom levels.

Lord of the flies are coming. The best maps are yet to come. (Me and Tarin haven't sent them in yet ;)

3D bridge? Buildings? Very impressive. I like these screenshots. This is the first time, that I doubt that I can do better.

BTW: I haven't sent in my map, either. (It's always the same: When it comes to texture alignment, I'm getting a bit lazy)

My map is undergoing radical changes, since I decided that the main visual theme just wasn't impressive enough. I think your right Ling, nobody is going to really put boom effects to good use, especially not me :P

I use red and yellow skull doors in my map. ;) and other Boom lindefs. BTW. It's a bit Pennywise over it. (Some of you might know what I mean by that)

Guest o-tech

I have yet to see a screenshot that indicates that the author has put any effort into the detailing and into making the most out of his/her precious sectors. They all just look like small maps so far, and I assume the point of this competition is to do more than just a small map... Oh well, I'll try and finish my map in time for the deadline, because I'd really like that card :)

Guest IcarusWing

Mine's on the way... don't get disheartened. Unless you hate my stuff, of course.

Guest o-langh

Linguica, Can you tell what`s the most commeon theme in this contest, just wondering?

`Cos I like base theme best...

I would guess, that the tech theme is most common in this contest. Maps that try to simulate natural structures are harder to do with few sectors.
However, the natural themes (stone/wood) are my favourites, so I mainly used them.

I wasn't originally going to enter: After all, I did already win something cool, and I like my Viper770 Ultra better than a Voodoo anyway... but my little bro needs a real video card badly, and I thought it was kinda fun. So far I've got some really nice looking stuff including all three keys and a few lifts. It's a small-to-medium sized level right now, and there's much planned expansion, incluing a grand finale I haven't even figured out yet... but it might just be forced to put those boom lines to good use. Again, I don't care much about winning the card... I just want to be in the Megawad and have some fun doing it.

Well, judging by those screenshots, I'm not going to win if I enter. Not second, or third. I can probably get into the megawad if Tarin doesn't submit 32 levels.

Heh.

Guest Medieval_Gnome

I think you can have all 6 different keycard doors in your level. If you use ONE sector for all of the doors, and have them sufficinetly far apart, it should look like they are all speprate sectors.

I'm saying this because I am not going to submit a level.

[b][u][i][s]That gives me an idea. Maybe it would be a good thing to write like this all of the time. Agreed?[s][i][u][b]

Guest wondersmith

I'm happy to see all these wad authors promising to send in maps, but sad to think that I might never get to play some of them--and also that some people's hard work might go unrecognized. How about a second megawad (or partial megawad) of runners-up if enough decent entries are in fact eventually submitted? Plus, the possibility of a second megawad might stir up further enthusiasm for the contest.

Here are my suggestions for what to do with the megawad:

* Have 2 megawads if necessary.

* Either have the winning WAD be the first one, or the last one (I think it would be kind of cool if it were last; you could play through all the other ones first and then save the best for the finale)

* and/or: Make the levels start off with the easiest, and get progressively harder.

Guest Retter

I think it's conceivable that some wad designers are waiting to near the end for submission, maybe for a few reasons.

1) Just not satisfied with thier design yet.
2) Just not done period.
3) Waiting to see what the competition comes up with (viewing screenshots).

I myself am getting visplane errors...dammit, I hate when that happens.

Retter:

"All WADs must be fully Boom compatible. That means no specific features of ZDoom, Doom Legacy, MBF, EDGE, or whatever."

So if you're getting visplane overflows in Boom, I dunno what to say.

There's no such thingh as vis_plane overflow in Boom. Sorry ábout various in perfect stuff I'm quite DUI i the moment, Exept for the D

Guest Retter

Ya, in the process of moving things around, I had my editor pointing at the wrong executable, so I'm back on track now.

I was experiencing a brain fart...

Well, 42 people have said on the poll that they've entered, and 108 more people say the will enter. If these 108 aren't actually lying, and they do actually get their WAD done in time, we're looking at 150 levels!

That's 4 full megaWADs worth plus another one of 22 levels :)

I like the sound of that :) I dunno if Ling wants to do it, but I hope he does. It would be a shame to just toss the rest of the levels even if they aren't all that great. I'd still like to see them.