Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

It Came From Sweden

Anthony Soto updated his site with comments on various projects he's been involved in, such as Crucified Dreams. Work on the number 6 in the "Classic" series has apparantly come to a halt, but progress on his Mordeth levels is looking up - as it damn well should be :) He's also posted two screenies for you to comment on below.

"Instead of using boom features (less 3 or 4 maps) the levels only use the boom port for the no visiplane limit. Why do authors feel so compelled to use ridiculous amounts of detail in their levels? After a while it just gets stupid or distracting."

I totally agree with him there. There's a difference between using the no visplane limit, and abusing the hell out of it. Detail is fine, don't get me wrong. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. But when it becomes the focus, and gets grossly overdone (ahem, gothic99), then that's really not a pretty sight. Remember guys, detail is just that... DETAIL. There are many other more important factors out there in making a good level.

Guest Fanatic

"Tarin and Pullen have nothing on Bjorling. And he can prove that in 10 sectors. I will challenge Bjorling. "

What's that all about? (e.g. me? what'd I do?)

Guest Fanatic

BTW, we've discussted this already ad-nauseum. People who make detailed mapes make them because they like it, not because other people will like or hate it.

QDOOM and RUINS are complex to the point of making the game run slow, but it's what I have in my mind and what I want to make. I like it, it's that simple.

I also enjoy the simple well done maps, like in GothicDM. The map layouts are very simple if you really look at them, but they are really well done. It's a good thing to have the full range, people aren't afraid to make what they want to. And you don't have to play them if you don't like them. Perhaps we should start adding a line to our map file readme, like DETAIL OVERKILL:low/med/hi?

heh

I mean, do people want certain colors taken out of a rainbow? It wouldn't be a rainbow it they were! :)

I didn't think Ruins was overly detailed. It was about right imo. It ran slow mostly because of the Edge engine I think.(and my pos computer :) Anyhoo, I agree with what you said. Having fun is the most important thing. There's little chance of anyone else liking what you make if you don't enjoy the process by which you create it. BTW who were you quoting in your first post?

About the screenshots. Very good. Both of them. The one on the right is better I think, dispite the black carpet. The left one has very grand architecture. How do you do it? :) Every time I try to do something like that it just looks bad... Anyway, both screenshots look just as good as the other ones for the Mordeth project I have seen. That level should have no trouble fitting in.

Guest Fanatic

That quote was right from the referenced website in the news.

I don't know, but with my last name in it, I'm assuming he thinks I can't do anything worth a squat with 10 sectors. Dunno why if so, my map I sent looks pretty good I think. We'll see when it's all over I spose. I just hope people submit things because they want to and have fun, not for spite or to "one up" anyone else. I rather enjoyed making my map.

Yeah, I definately agree with you comments; specifically the ones about doing things the way you do because that's how you want them, and doing the contest for fun, not trying to spite other people with your levels. I agree in hoping that the intent of people making maps for the contest is to have fun. I've gotten to talk to a lot of people making maps (heh, which is pretty much everyone), and they've had a great time doing it. And again, I hope that's the intent with most guys out there making maps, and not to "smack Tarin and Pullen's asses down," or whatever. Heh. Of course, winning the video card is always a plus, too :)

Guest Slipgate

Hey all,

Being a personal friend of Anthony's, I just
gotta mention one thing about the subject
of this news post. It Came From Sweden?
That can be said of Ola (and if it's
referring to Ola then just ignore this post)
but Anthony is not from Sweden, or even
Swedish. He's in America, good old east
coast.

Slipgate