Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Will it ever end? Well, yes, in 11 days, but until then I'm not letting up. The 10 Sectors Contest continues, with more entries being sent in every day. There's all sorts of levels being submitted -- polished-metal tech stations, grungy iron-and-brick constructs, earthy adobe plazas, dank, damp caverns, and more. There's still plenty of time to put together that 10-sector level of yours and win that Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. What, you're not the level making type? Try it, you'll like it. I dare you. What, are you chicken? Well? Huh? Yeah, thought so.

(img)(img)(img)

Guest o-tech

Looks like the author of this map wasted his sectors. Personally I don't enjoy maps with a variation of floor heights of just 16 over the entire map (as this one might actually be, judging by the shots). It's like wolfenstein :-)

A note to ther map authors in this contest: Please try not to let the player exit with like 30 shells and 15 rockets and stuff... it would ruin any balance other people have in their maps.

And oh yeah, I plan to take the map30 spot, so noone else use the boss shooter, ok? :-)

Each level is meant to be started from scratch for the maximum experience. If it's Boom, couldn't a DEH/BEX file reset all player settings at the start of each level? Ling is the self-proclaimed Dehacked pro, he can do it :P

By this way, this map is by John Romero.

Ok there's 32 maps, with 0kb reject. This wad will be pretty big, my level is just under 500kb and i haven't added any detail yet! (and Deepsea slows to a crawl when i try a check for problems). If all the maps turn out like this the zip alone will be 10 meg atleast. Using sidedef compression does help, but are there any problems with this?

Also Zdoom doesn't always convert the level properly (doors don't always work), anyone else seen this?

Er, I hope you haven't been designing a ZDoom wad for the contest. It's specifically stated only Boom effects are allowed...

No, but i test in zdoom sometimes as it has the fly command so i can check texture alignment on high sectors, plus highres

Just wanted to tell you prower. My map is almost complete. Only two sections left. one switch to open door section and one exit area with badass boss. So I'll be sending it soon, and if ling put up screenshots of it you can say it's made by Chroz or someone.

Just to let you know, I'm also joining this contest. Although I usually make maps for Quake2, I occasionaly play DOOM and I did make some DOOM-maps in the past. I briefly visit Doomworld every day to check what's going on in the doom community. This 10-sector-contest seemed like much fun to me. So much fun, that I decided to make a DOOM map once again.

Too much time had passed since the last time I used Deu. It looked havely outdated. Now I'm using WadAuthor. My castle-themed 10-sector-map runs on the original Doom2.exe. I occasionaly test it on jDoom too. I need a few more days to finish the final battle section and then I'll submit it. It's only 200 kB. I was amazed by the 500 kB mentioned below.

I consider my map to be good looking. My only concern is the lack of sector effects. I only have one : a blue door. The other 9 sectors are used for height differences and detailed design.

Well, good luck to you all. I'm looking forward to play the megawad.

any detailed sector such as a pipe or rock-wall will eat up sidedefs pretty quickly, and 5 minuites worth of wad takes some filling.

Heh if you're reffering to rock5 textures and stuff it wouldn't take much since you'd only use one sector for it, therefor not many lines would be used. My map is marble and metal all over. very nice IMO. BTW may map is soon finished. it's at a humble size of 667 k now. ;) and I have no idea how long it takes to play, medium hard. Extemely fun IMHO.

Like a rocky outcrop using different sectors to provide variety in height, not the texture. Iv'e put in some shorcuts for speed runs and if you charge through the level it should only take around 2 mins. I'd have to make the level really brutal to slow people down :)

When will the final wad be released? and will we know who won before the release?

Heh. Maybe you'll get bit by the Doom editing bug and decide to make more levels :)

Ebola : 667k? OMFG 8o!

Err, my level is only 52k, and it takes around five and a half minutes to complete on EASY (haven't tried harder modes, 'caus I suck :) ).

I guess if you have only relatively weak monsters and/or powerful weapons, or the player travels through each area only once and there's no much in the way of exploration, the level could get as big as you guys are talking about...

Guest q.pixel[rex]

With only 10 sectors to work with, I wonder how you can keep it interesting = Assuming that it's a bad thing by Lingy's standards ;-)

Guest Battle_Zealot

Hi, i´m only wondering what WAD editor u guys are using coz´ i whant to enter the contest but i´ll need a wadeditor, is WADed good ??

Putting in the top weapons and weak monsters would make the level super quick to complete wouldn't it?. Although you visit only two places more than once, I'll ensure theres plenty to explore :). Im really looking forward to seeing what people can come up with, regardless of size.

This will be my first SP map, which usually typifies crap, but if i work until the last hour hopefully i'll have something worth submitting, oh yeah the theme is boring old industrial :)

piXel reX, are you entering the contest, too?

If so, my chances of getting in the megawad are going down again. Rocketeer is one of my favourite level when it comes to good design. I think, your chances to win are quite good.

Arno wtf where did you go I remember you briefly from undernet didn't you own daaave.org?

If you choose a good selection of differing sector characteristics then no room should look the same, i think this is the most difficult part of the contest (and why its so cool).

Refering to Peter everyone should dare, you have nothing to lose. If my map isn't selected it's not the end of the world (it'll get released whatever happens), and its forced me to look at the boom features and improve my skillz.

There are more people in the world named "Arno". I've never been in the online DOOM community before. I've been hanging around in the Quake scene for the past two years.

I'm only around 250K, and parfectly happy with what I have. Is there going to be any extra credit for implementing skill levels?

I dought extra credit will be won as i suppose they are expected features, co-op support might be looked upon favourably though (whether anyone uses it is another matter).

PS any idea when Twice Risen will be released?, the demo was cool.

Guest louis9000

tepic used to talk ot me but now he wont talk or shag me...i sad

i like the doomz!!!!